Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Kodi Community Development

Moderator: TVJunkie198

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Re: Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Post by Ken.F »

Isn't a mux the entire multiplexed data stream that contains all of the sub-channel data on a single RF channel? All of this seems more like tuned channel properties than properties of the mux itself. Maybe I'm thinking about it all wrong.

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Post by djp952 »

I would consider the "Mux" to be more analogous to the "Program" in the context of the addon, anyway. Whether or not the broadcaster is sending a multi-program TS or a single-program TS we get the single program consisting of multiplexed streams, hence my thinking was "Mux" in the PVR info makes sense as VC Name (VC Number / Video Codec / Audio Codec). I'm fine with being wrong, though. As long as all the info we want/need is displayed, that's the important part.

<stompsfeet>It's my addon, I'll call it what I want to!!</stompsfeet> (Kidding, of course).

Hopefully I can finish this other work thing tonight and get the hour or so I need to make you guys a Beta 2 with my personal "grand vision" :)

djp952

Post by djp952 »

OK, how do we collectively feel about this:

I opted out of including the Audio/Video codec flags since it made the strings too long and you can find this out from the "Player Process Info" tab in Kodi (and see the actual values as opposed to the presumed ones). I was going to include the TransportStreamID with "mux", but it turns out that the PRIME doesn't report these and they are subject to change by the broadcaster regardless (do you need to rescan on OTA if this changes? I don't know!)

I swapped the info in "Service" and "Provider", and added the frequency, program number, and modulation (if not set to "auto") to "Device Status". Also illustrated is the fix for the "PVR backend" string where I was implementing the wrong API to send the "api.hdhomerun.com" part to Kodi in Matrix (and later).

Does this cover all the bases or do we need any more info that I can display?

edit: looks I have room to add the device firmware version to "Provider" -- useful or no?

kyl416
Device ID: 1080DB11

Post by kyl416 »

djp952 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:31 pmdo you need to rescan on OTA if this changes? I don't know!)
For North American OTA, a unique TSID is assigned to each station in USA, Mexico and Canada. Unless the station is transmitting an invalid or wrong one, under normal circumstances it shouldn't change.

Ken.F

Post by Ken.F »

djp952 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:31 pm OK, how do we collectively feel about this:
OK with me.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

Well then by all means, let's send it out and see what happens! Things can always be changed, and it's been like three months ... as long as it doesn't break something, right?

Build 7908 - v3.6.0 / v4.6.0 (2021.08.26)
  • Update SQLite database engine to version 3.36.0
  • Update cURL library to version 7.78.0
  • Fix bug causing full refresh of guide data during startup if there are 'Unknown' channels in the lineup
  • (Matrix) Fix bug causing the static PVR connection string 'api.hdhomerun.com' to not appear in the Kodi 'PVR info' overlay
  • (Matrix) Add reporting of Live TV tuner signal status information
  • (Matrix) Add new "Disable reporting of active Live TV tuner signal status" Interface option
  • Remove defunct 'Demo Channels' channel group
Release Notes: Downloads: The auto-update repository has also been refreshed to use these versions, but it may take your Kodi instance up to 48 hours to detect and automatically install the update; this is normal.

Ken.F

Post by Ken.F »

djp952 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:36 pm The auto-update repository has also been refreshed to use these versions, but it may take your Kodi instance up to 48 hours to detect and automatically install the update; this is normal.
I got the update today. Everything seems to be working fine.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

kyl416 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:06 pm
djp952 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:31 pmdo you need to rescan on OTA if this changes? I don't know!)
For North American OTA, a unique TSID is assigned to each station in USA, Mexico and Canada. Unless the station is transmitting an invalid or wrong one, under normal circumstances it shouldn't change.
Sorry I missed this before the build; I did not know that! I think there's room for it after the virtual channel number (if available), if that information is at all useful to know "at a glance".

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

kyl416 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:06 pm
Full-power stations usually get these right, but many (most?) low-power stations just use 0 or 1 because they can't be bothered to get one assigned or enter it in their equipment if they do have one assigned.

Ken.F

Post by Ken.F »

In the official HDHomeRun app timer rules can be set to record from all channels, or you can choose one or more specific channel to record from. In the PVR add-on the only choice is to record from all channels or one single channel. Can this be added to the PVR add-on? Kodi might not allow this because as soon as you select the first channel to record from Kodi automatically kicks you out of the channel selection screen. That screen would have to stay open to allow multiple selections like it does when setting skip step intervals or the display resolution whitelist.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

Yeah Kodi only has "any" or "one". I may be able to push for more support there but I'm guessing it would be an uphill battle :)

Ken.F

Post by Ken.F »

djp952 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:59 am Yeah Kodi only has "any" or "one". I may be able to push for more support there but I'm guessing it would be an uphill battle :)
OK, I can just use the HDHomeRun app on my phone when I need to do that. It doesn't come up often enough to ask you to fight for it.

Griffo

Post by Griffo »

I see a few similar posts but couldn't seem to find a "fix".

I'm running Kodi on an nVidia Shield TV Pro. Live TV and Guide works fine, but I cannot see any recordings. Previous suggestions to change the discovery method in the client no longer seem to be an available option (?). I can confirm it works perfectly with the same PVR client in Kodi on Windows + all my HDHR clients.

Any thoughts?

sirlou

Post by sirlou »

Re-asking, per your kind offer, for info on getting my legacy HDHR3-US working with Kodi on Ubuntu 20.04. Thank you for any help you can provide!

If not doable I am now looking at upgrading to the HomeRun Flex, which I understand should work fine with the official add on.

Lou

djp952

Post by djp952 »

sirlou wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:31 am Re-asking, per your kind offer, for info on getting my legacy HDHR3-US working with Kodi on Ubuntu 20.04. Thank you for any help you can provide!

If not doable I am now looking at upgrading to the HomeRun Flex, which I understand should work fine with the official add on.

Lou
I looked into this a bit this morning, it's definitely doable, and doesn't seem like it will be that much effort. SiliconDust has done a very good job making the legacy devices compatible with the modern device discovery, looks like I just need to add something to be able to tune based on the channel frequency and program for these.

The only catch I'm seeing so far is that something like the HDHR2 with multiple inputs, the discovery assumes that both inputs are connected to the same source. Not a concern for the HDHR3. I also have to work out how to handle the case where a channel is available on both a legacy and non-legacy device to make sure the non-legacy device takes priority.

Going in, I also need to make sure you understand this will, by nature, be just live playback only and you won't get any EPG data unless you add a non-legacy device and subscribe to the DVR service (thus eliminating the need for the legacy support - lol) :) Basically you will see the channel numbers and names and can use Play and Stop, nothing else is going to be functional.