Looking for the official HDHomeRun add-on for Kodi?

Kodi Community Development

Moderator: TVJunkie198

NedS
Silicondust

Looking for the official HDHomeRun add-on for Kodi?

Post by NedS »

Due to various changes that will soon break the original official HDHomeRun add-on for Kodi, and due to how popular some of the alternatives have been, Silicondust has decided to discontinue the official add-on. Here are some alternatives:

If you have an HDHomeRun DVR subscription: Use djp952's "Zuki" PVR add-on: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=71135
It will integrate the HDHomeRun DVR features with the native Kodi PVR features, with grid guide, recordings, setting up new recordings, etc.

If you do not have an HDHomeRun DVR subscription: Use the built-in/included Kodi HDHomeRun PVR add-on.
It will provide a day of free guide data, and even give you a grid guide format. Live TV only.

Rickt1962

Re: Looking for the official HDHomeRun add-on for Kodi?

Post by Rickt1962 »

If you do not have an HDHomeRun DVR subscription: Use the built-in/included Kodi HDHomeRun PVR add-on.
It will provide a day of free guide data, and even give you a grid guide format. Live TV only.

Built in where ?

kyl416
Device ID: 1080DB11

Post by kyl416 »

If you are using Windows, Mac or Android/FireTV, look under Addons -> Install from Repository -> PVR Clients -> PVR HDHomeRun Client

If you're using a Linux distribution for Kodi you have to install kodi-pvr-hdhomerun. (i.e. on Debian/Ubuntu based distributions run "sudo apt-get install kodi-pvr-hdhomerun")

Rickt1962

Post by Rickt1962 »

kyl416 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:33 pm If you are using Windows, Mac or Android/FireTV, look under Addons -> Install from Repository -> PVR Clients -> PVR HDHomeRun Client

If you're using a Linux distribution for Kodi you have to install kodi-pvr-hdhomerun. (i.e. on Debian/Ubuntu based distributions run "sudo apt-get install kodi-pvr-hdhomerun")
Yes I am running KODI 18 I hate doing the "sudo apt-get install kodi-pvr-hdhomerun" nothing is ever easy

mooninite

Post by mooninite »

Was this due to the switch to Python 3 with Kodi 19? That was the only change I know of as the add-on works for me.

I submitted a PR to support Python 3 to Github, but it removed support for Python 2.

I just tried out the PVR add-on and it seems to replicate the same functionality so I don't see much lost, but I don't mind submitting a better PR if you guys want to keep it going.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

mooninite wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:45 pm Was this due to the switch to Python 3 with Kodi 19? That was the only change I know of as the add-on works for me.

I submitted a PR to support Python 3 to Github, but it removed support for Python 2.

I just tried out the PVR add-on and it seems to replicate the same functionality so I don't see much lost, but I don't mind submitting a better PR if you guys want to keep it going.
The big thing was that we have a bunch of new recording rule changes that will likely break things, and also the add-on doesn't currently support some existing situations like multiple DVR instances. The UI itself is based on older versions of the HDHomeRun app that we've strayed from (and we have some additional UI improvements in the pipeline that will go even further). Various little things kept adding up.

That being said, it is open source. If someone wants to take it over as an unofficial add-on (some of the logos and text might need to be changed to make this clear), that would be fine.

mooninite

Post by mooninite »

Understandable. I'm still getting used to the PVR interface, but the Python add-on interface had its charm and I was used to it as a multi-year user of it.

If you don't mind posting it in a read-only state with a note about support being discontinued that would be great. I have an old fork of it, but I do not have the very latest commits made earlier this year.

sirlou

Post by sirlou »

Hiya, long SD time customer, new Linux user here. Quick question about this issue.

I tried to install the "official" HDHomerun add-on for Kodi under Ubuntu 20.04 and even though I had the tuners running and playing in VLC, the add-on just showed a play and exit button, and when I pressed play it just endlessly reiterated that screen.

I have the HDHR3-US so is that the issue? I know I've had it for about 9 and while it works fine in WMC on Win8.1 the Windows HDHomerun app stopped working with it a few years ago.

Would one of your newer tuners play nicer with Ubuntu Linux and Kodi with the "unofficial" add on mentioned above?

Any help appreciated.

Lou

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Post by djp952 »

sirlou wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:55 pm Hiya, long SD time customer, new Linux user here. Quick question about this issue.

I tried to install the "official" HDHomerun add-on for Kodi under Ubuntu 20.04 and even though I had the tuners running and playing in VLC, the add-on just showed a play and exit button, and when I pressed play it just endlessly reiterated that screen.

I have the HDHR3-US so is that the issue? I know I've had it for about 9 and while it works fine in WMC on Win8.1 the Windows HDHomerun app stopped working with it a few years ago.

Would one of your newer tuners play nicer with Ubuntu Linux and Kodi with the "unofficial" add on mentioned above?

Any help appreciated.

Lou
The HDHR3-US doesn't appear to support the necessary features to work with the official Kodi PVR addon (pvr.hdhomerun) or the unofficial one (zuki.pvr.hdhomerundvr). It doesn't look like the official one will filter out "Legacy" devices from what it finds, but it only supports HTTP streaming, so that's probably why you're seeing that behavior; it's trying to establish an HTTP connection that cannot be established. On the flip side, the unofficial one does have a way to stream using the legacy method (UDP/RTP) but filters out "Legacy" devices so they won't even be eligible for use.

Not to stray too far off-topic here, I'm happy to discuss any options we may have for the unofficial here: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=71135. I still have a couple HDHR2-US devices here that are "Legacy" and an antenna I can hook up. While legacy support hasn't come up in a long time (years) it's possible I have enough plumbing in there now that it might not be a huge ask for basic playback functionality. Hit me up over there, otherwise I'll completely forget :)

sirlou

Post by sirlou »

Will do!

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Post by djp952 »

Hi sirlou, I don't like to cross-post, but my PMs to you are stuck in the Outbox. I think I have a workable solution for you to check out: viewtopic.php?p=377035#p377035

Please let me know how it goes (over there). Thanks!