Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Kodi Community Development

Moderator: TVJunkie198

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Re: Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Post by Ken.F »

Joeyrub wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:32 am The live buffer rules.... Is a little confusing.
I assume I would belong to the 2nd group, cause I am a DVR subscriber, and I have a 2Tb hard drive connected via USB to my Flex 4k.
Yes.

Joeyrub

Post by Joeyrub »

Ken.F wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:53 am
Joeyrub wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:32 am The live buffer rules.... Is a little confusing.
I assume I would belong to the 2nd group, cause I am a DVR subscriber, and I have a 2Tb hard drive connected via USB to my Flex 4k.
Yes.
I just came back home from breakfast. It's 9:30am. The live buffer on my TV is still growing. Over 20 hours back. The whole thing works perfectly. All shows are perfectly watchable. I'm loving this. I wish it was always like this! But I know the second I lose this live buffer I'll never have it again like this . I took a photo of the screen with osd on showing all the info. I just don't see how to attach a photo here. If I figure it out I'll post it

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F »

Joeyrub wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:32 am But I know the second I lose this live buffer I'll never have it again like this . I took a photo of the screen with osd on showing all the info. I just don't see how to attach a photo here. If I figure it out I'll post it
There is no way to upload a photo directly on this forum. You can upload it to an image hosting site and post the link using img tags to display it here.

Code: Select all

[img]http://imagehostsite.com/mypicture.jpg[/img]

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Post by djp952 »

If you have problems with the live buffer again, let me know, maybe there is something that can be added to help diagnose it. The PVR/Kodi has nothing to do with the buffer itself, but if it breaks the live stream for some reason the buffer will go away on the backend.

It's also possible that the buffer is fine but the PVR/Kodi is making a mistake and not allowing you to go back. The PVR needs to tell Kodi what the boundaries are to allow the seek. I'm not aware of any remaining logic problems there, but it's always possible!

Anyway, keep me/us apprised, if there's something wrong we'll get to the bottom of it for you!

Joeyrub

Post by Joeyrub »

djp952 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:36 am Anyway, keep me/us apprised, if there's something wrong we'll get to the bottom of it for you!
Well..... I don't know if I consider this a "problem". I actually wish it was always like this on all my devices. As of now it has a over 26 hour live buffer. Meaning I can now rewind over a day of tv. It's 3pm now, I can Rewind till yesterday 12:30pm. And all shows play perfectly! THIS IS AWESOME!!!
Why shouldn't be like this? Why not just let live buffer keep recording till space becomes a issue. Since I have a new 2tb drive connected, space won't be an issue for a good while still.
So to confirm... This isn't normal. Right? Am I supposed to get this much of a live buffer? Naaaa right? I'm not sure but from what I read here I understood that there is a limit even for DVR subscribers, which I am. So idk what is going on here. But I'm loving this! A over 26 hour buffer now! Love it

Joeyrub

Post by Joeyrub »

Joeyrub

Post by Joeyrub »

Joeyrub wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:17 pm Image
Oh sweet! Finally got the photo uploaded correct!
There you can see, I have over a 26 hour buffer now.
I wish this was the normal

Joeyrub

Post by Joeyrub »

It's all gone! Lost the whole buffer! Oh well.... I checked the memory status, it went down from 80 something gbs to 30 gbs. So it used like 50 gbs
Again I wish this was the norm. I wish live buffer would just keep going to it runs out of space. Why not

kyl416
Device ID: 1080DB11

Post by kyl416 »

An endless buffer taking up most of the space on a dedicated hard drive or partition for recordings is one thing (provided that there's a way to automatically dump the buffer if space is needed for an upcoming recording), but if it's a shared drive, an endless buffer can end up doing a lot more harm than good, especially if the memory pagefile and other important temporary files used by the OS are also on the partition.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

Joeyrub wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:16 pm It's all gone! Lost the whole buffer! Oh well.... I checked the memory status, it went down from 80 something gbs to 30 gbs. So it used like 50 gbs
Again I wish this was the norm. I wish live buffer would just keep going to it runs out of space. Why not
Well ... this use case is a tad on the extreme side :) I have no control over anything the DVR (HDHomeRun RECORD) engine decides to do with the buffer, but it's reasonable to assume there is some limit to what it will keep. If you run into situations where you aren't able to back-buffer a "few" hours, please let me know :) 26 hours -- nice!

Joeyrub

Post by Joeyrub »

[/quote]
Well ... this use case is a tad on the extreme side :) I have no control over anything the DVR (HDHomeRun RECORD) engine decides to do with the buffer, but it's reasonable to assume there is some limit to what it will keep. If you run into situations where you aren't able to back-buffer a "few" hours, please let me know :) 26 hours -- nice!
[/quote]

Hahaaa! I don't know what's going on. But the buffer started building back up from right where I lost it yesterday. That was like 4:15pm yesterday afternoon. And I have the entire buffer from there till now. It's now like 7:30am the next morning. So as of now I have a little over 15 hours of buffer! I just love it!
Funny thing is, I have another Kodi open and running on another device (on my Channel Master Stream+). That is tuned to a different channel, but from the same account and the same tuner (my hdhomerun flex 4k). But that one is behaving exactly like the rules say. It keeps complete shows of the last hour. So I'll have something like a 90 minute buffer or so. But on my Hisense Smart Android Tv, it for some reason builds this gigantic buffer (which I love btw!).
I suspect if I close the app completely and re launch it, it will probably not behave this way anymore. Cause I'm assuming it's some bug or something... But for now it's still building.....
I'll try to come back and post later for how long it went this time.
I've never loved a bug this much. 😂

djp952

Post by djp952 »

One thing to keep in mind is that the PVR addon has no knowledge as to how big the back-buffer is, it has to assume it can only seek backwards to the point at which you started playback on that particular Kodi instance. The DVR engine will share the buffer amongst multiple devices if they are "tuned" to the same channel, but it doesn't report any details about that buffer.

So let's say I have 2 Kodis, both playing channel 511 live.

Kodi 1: I tuned to channel 511 at 9AM
Kodi 2: I tuned to channel 511 at 3PM

At this point, Kodi 1 should be able to seek back to 9AM, but Kodi 2 can only go back as far as 3PM. If I then stop playback on Kodi 1, the buffer itself on the storage device will still have data going back to 9AM, but Kodi 2 can't access it, it doesn't know anything about that data.

otaku

Post by otaku »

I have a Nvidia Shield Tube (no usb port) so I have placed the zuki install file in the Downloads folder of the Shield. When I attempt install the file I receive the message "Failed to install add-on from zip file"

I double checked and I'm sure I got the right zip file and version of Kodi?

I would super appreciate a little perspective.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

otaku wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:05 pm I have a Nvidia Shield Tube (no usb port) so I have placed the zuki install file in the Downloads folder of the Shield. When I attempt install the file I receive the message "Failed to install add-on from zip file"

I double checked and I'm sure I got the right zip file and version of Kodi?

I would super appreciate a little perspective.
I think the Shield Tube uses a 32-bit Android OS, did you try the "android-arm" (32-bit) or "android-aarch64" (64-bit) .zip? There is no harm in trying the wrong version, other than getting that error message :)

On Android, the Kodi "System Information" page doesn't seem to provide a good indication of if the installed OS is 32-bit or 64-bit so I might start with just trying the ARM .zip that you didn't try the first time. If that also fails, I'm afraid we'll have to peek in the Kodi log to find out what the deal is.

If trying the other one doesn't work please do let me know, I'm here to help! We'll get it to work!

otaku

Post by otaku »

Tried the "android-arm" and BINGO!

Thank You!