Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Kodi Community Development

Moderator: TVJunkie198

sillywabbit

Re: Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Post by sillywabbit »

Forgot to add that I can ssh into my device since I whitelisted my device. Before adding my subnet to the whitelist I could not ssh. That leads me to believe that the whitelist is working.

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Post by djp952 »

sillywabbit wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:23 pm Should have added this in my original post. The official HDHomeRun addon from the Kodi repository detects the tuners and works just fine. And oh I had whitelisted my local network. So I can access my network shares when connected to the vpn service. When I get home I’ll try pinging the devices. I appreciate your help.
signcarver wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:31 pm The official addon should only uses udp broadcast discovery... this addon can be set to use http discovery which requires the client to connect to the internet from same public ip as the tuners which it usually won't when using a VPN. Double check that setting.
This is a big clue!

Definitely check that this addon's setting Advanced / Use cloud-based HTTP discovery is OFF. If that's ON as signcarver indicated the discovery behavior changes. With that OFF you should be getting identical results, both addons use SiliconDust's libhdhomerun to perform the discovery via broadcast (UDP). I use a newer version than pvr.hdhomerun does, but I don't think that is relevant.

Discovery concern not withstanding, the main difference between how the official pvr.hdhomerun addon and this addon behaves is ... this addon is going to use your RECORD engine to stream channels (if discovered), whereas pvr.hdhomerun can only hit the tuner device(s) directly. The Kodi log file before you lost discovery is likely long gone but in it we would find the HTTP error message that you saw flash as a banner/toast in Kodi. If you can get discovery working again, getting that full error message would be great.

If you get discovery working again, but can't stream anything still, try this addon's Advanced / Stream Live TV channels directly from tuner device(s) setting. If you enable that and set the Preferred tuner streaming protocol to HTTP, the addon will behave very similarly to pvr.hdhomerun. Even if it thinks you have a RECORD engine it won't try to use it. You lose the ability to timeshift, of course, but if this setup works then I think we can narrow this down to a problem finding/accessing your RECORD service.

I'd be very happy to have a look at some of your Kodi logs. There may be additional clues to work with, like not being able to download/process EPG data, problems getting images/thumbnails, etc. that may help guide us to the solution. I'll PM you an e-mail address -- feel free to send me, well, whatever you think might help!

djp952

Post by djp952 »

sigh. the PM won't send for some reason. Just add an @gmail.com to my username here to contact me / send me things. I'll get it :)

sillywabbit

Post by sillywabbit »

Thank you so much for your help. I decided to just take the easy way out. I set up a separate raspberry pi for my vpn, dvr and downloads and use another raspberry pi for my tv addon.

I now realize the settings that you and signcarver were referring to were the tv addon settings and not the vpn settings.

I very much appreciate your informative reply. If I didn’t enjoy your addon so much I would have just stuck with the HDHomerun addon but yours is so much more intuitive.

Thanks again for all your help.

tzr916

Post by tzr916 »

Have been using another 3rd party app for years. Might like to try KODI, but have some quick questions:
-does KODI operate with generic Win10 USB IR remote receivers and standard MCE remote controls
-does KODI use "BDA drivers" or "tuner stream" method for tv channels
-what is the current state, and development plans for ATSC 3.0 (live/record/AC-4 audio)
-can KODI use madVR in Win10 or can it use an "external player" that does
-are comskip markers shown in the timeline Win10/Android
-does commercial skipping work in Android
-is there full EPG in Android
-is adding/viewing/editing recording rules working in Android
-is there ability to watch live tv and recorded shows from outside my home network

djp952

Post by djp952 »

tzr916 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:01 pm Have been using another 3rd party app for years. Might like to try KODI, but have some quick questions:
Most of these are best asked on the Kodi forum, but I'll do my best!

-does KODI operate with generic Win10 USB IR remote receivers and standard MCE remote controls
Yes

-does KODI use "BDA drivers" or "tuner stream" method for tv channels
HTTP Tuner Stream (there is also an option to use RTP if you want, but that's for niche cases where UDP works better on the user's network than TCP, which is rare)

-what is the current state, and development plans for ATSC 3.0 (live/record/AC-4 audio)
The addon should be able to play ATSC 3.0 channels, but mainline Kodi doesn't support AC-4 yet. I believe there is a fork out there that does, but you may be hard-pressed to find an Android version. Recording is done by the HDHomeRun DVR (RECORD) engine, there should be no problems there.

-can KODI use madVR in Win10 or can it use an "external player" that does
You'd need a fork of Kodi for that.

-are comskip markers shown in the timeline Win10/Android
I think so, but for this addon you need to configure EDL (Edit Decision List) support and handle generation of those files on your own.

See above

-is there full EPG in Android
If you are a HDHomeRun DVR subscriber, yes. Otherwise you get no EPG data at all via this addon.

-is adding/viewing/editing recording rules working in Android
Everything works on all platforms; there are no specific platform limitations imposed by the addon (unless there is a bug I don't know about?)

-is there ability to watch live tv and recorded shows from outside my home network
I think this can done with Kodi, but you'd have to research that one. The addon itself won't impose any restrictions on you or provide you with any features here.

I'm thinking Kodi may not be the way you want to go, honestly. I doubt (but an happy to be wrong) that you will find a supported fork of the application that handles all the things mainline Kodi won't do like AC-4 and madVR, but if you are: A) A DVR service subscriber; B) have an HDHomeRun RECORD engine set up, and C) actually do find a Kodi fork for Android that meets your needs, this addon should handle the rest.

If not a DVR subscriber, Kodi also has an HDHomeRun addon built-in (pvr.hdhomerun) that can handle the basic streaming needs for Live TV (and a few hours of EPG data) but there is no recording support. I'm really getting the impression that's not going to be good enough for you, though!

Good luck my friend!

tzr916

Post by tzr916 »

Thank you so much... a few more that I forgot:
-setup a "server" to do EPG collection and perform the actual recording of shows, as well as watching live tv and recorded shows
-all machines on the network use the server's database to have common/shared EPG, and recording rules, and recorded shows
-if recorded show playback is stopped on one machine, resume on another
-playing live tv on any machine does not create tuner conflicts with the server duties and other machines

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F »

djp952 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:16 pm -are comskip markers shown in the timeline Win10/Android
I think so, but for this addon you need to configure EDL (Edit Decision List) support and handle generation of those files on your own.

See above
I don't have Win10 but I know Comskip markers are shown in Kodi Matrix on the timeline on Android mobile, Android TV, Win7 and Linux, and commercial skipping works on those devices. Commercial skipping works on Leia but it doesn't show the markers.

Ken.F

Post by Ken.F »

tzr916 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:57 pm -setup a "server" to do EPG collection and perform the actual recording of shows, as well as watching live tv and recorded shows
The HDHomerun DVR record engine runs on one device in the home and acts as a server for all client devices on the local network. All recordings are saved to local storage on that device.
The EPG data is collected and stored on Silicondust's servers. Kodi client devices will get a EPG download every time Kodi is launched, and will also receive periodic EPG updates if you leave it running for extended periods.
The central HDHomeRun DVR record engine handles the live TV buffer for pause, rewind and fast forward for all client devices.
-all machines on the network use the server's database to have common/shared EPG, and recording rules, and recorded shows
-if recorded show playback is stopped on one machine, resume on another
Except for the EPG, yes.
-playing live tv on any machine does not create tuner conflicts with the server duties and other machines
Watching live TV will prevent a recording if there are no other tuners free, unless you happen to be watching one of the channels the scheduled recordings takes place on. Tuners are allocated first come first serve including live TV, but since live TV is buffered through the record engine two clients tuned to the same channel will only use one tuner.

Ken.F

Post by Ken.F »

Wow, no new posts in over a month. Everyone must be happy! :D

This probably isn't caused by the PVR addon but does anyone else have issues with the letter "c" registering when typing in the guide search box with a keyboard? When I search for "A Discovery of Witches" and I type quickly I get "A Disovery of Withes" in the search box. If I type slowly it works fine. This has been happening for a long time. At first I thought I was making typos but it only seems to happen with the letter "c", and it never happens outside of Kodi.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

Or nobody uses it anymore :) Stable is good!

On Windows I don't see the same behavior with the "C" key, I can type as fast as I want and Kodi keeps up. Do you have any non-standard keyboard mappings set up? Wonder if "C" is being caught and processed for some action that's invalid for the search dialog.

Let's see ... looks like a total of 3600 downloads of the last version, so maybe about 2500-3000 users out there? That's not too shabby, I thought this had dwindled down more than that since Kodi can't do AC-4 and the worry that CableCARDs are going the way of the dinosaur. I guess it really is just in a stable place!

Ken.F

Post by Ken.F »

djp952 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:18 am On Windows I don't see the same behavior with the "C" key, I can type as fast as I want and Kodi keeps up. Do you have any non-standard keyboard mappings set up? Wonder if "C" is being caught and processed for some action that's invalid for the search dialog.
No, I don't have any special keyboard mappings. It doesn't skip the "c" when I type in the search box with the on-screen keyboard below. It only happens when I'm typing in the search bar on the screen with the option toggles below. It seems to be getting tripped up when I type another letter right after "c". When searching for "clarice" I get "larie", but if I leave off the "e" at the end the second "c" works every time. Maybe it has something to do with "c" being the context menu hotkey?
Let's see ... looks like a total of 3600 downloads of the last version, so maybe about 2500-3000 users out there? That's not too shabby, I thought this had dwindled down more than that since Kodi can't do AC-4 and the worry that CableCARDs are going the way of the dinosaur. I guess it really is just in a stable place!
That's a good number of users. Hopefully FFmpeg will officially support AC-4 before ATSC 3.0 becomes mainstream.

Joeyrub

Post by Joeyrub »

I'm new to all this. Just got my first hdhomerun flex 4k. Been trying the original and flex. But Kodi with the zuki add on is my favorite by a lot.
The one thing I don't have, is subtitles for my tv channels. In the settings I enabled it, but it says "subtitle none" then gives me options to either browse for subtitle, or Download subtle.
Can anyone help me set this up right? Is it possible to set this up??
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Also, does anyone know what the Timeshift limit is? Is it a set amount? Like 1 or 2 hours? Or varies by size?
Joey

Ken.F

Post by Ken.F »

Joeyrub wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:27 pm The one thing I don't have, is subtitles for my tv channels. In the settings I enabled it, but it says "subtitle none" then gives me options to either browse for subtitle, or Download subtle.
In Settings> Player> Language make sure "Enable parsing for closed captions" is turned on.
Also, does anyone know what the Timeshift limit is? Is it a set amount? Like 1 or 2 hours? Or varies by size?
The live tv buffer doesn't have a strict time or size limit. Details here:
viewtopic.php?f=92&t=68424

Joeyrub

Post by Joeyrub »

[/quote]
In Settings> Player> Language make sure "Enable parsing for closed captions" is turned on.

Ya i already found this answer yesterday in this form. Funny for days I tried getting it working, tried all settings, so I even saw this "parsing" setting, but I had no idea what it means, so I left it off and made a mental note to look it up online what it means. I tried downloading all subtitle add ons, etc etc etc etc... Then yesterday when I found this answer here, I right away knew exactly where this setting is, I turned it on right away. And walla!!! I got subtitles! No add on needed or anything. I was so glad to have it working!

[/quote]
The live tv buffer doesn't have a strict time or size limit. Details here:.....

The live buffer rules.... Is a little confusing.
I assume I would belong to the 2nd group, cause I am a DVR subscriber, and I have a 2Tb hard drive connected via USB to my Flex 4k.
And while I don't understand the rules exactly, I did see it behave similar to those rules.
Except for this one Smart Android tv that I'm currently watching With Kodi. I tuned to this channel yesterday a little after noon, so like 12:20pm about, it is now the next morning like 6:20am. So that is "18 hours" later. And I still have the entire Timeshift available. Yup! That is 18 freaking hours of Timeshift! I was sure that as soon as I seek fwd or backwards it will jump to within a hour from live. That is what it usually did (that's why I asked for the exact limit, cause that kept happening). But in this one case, it didn't! I seeked fwd. And back. It all stayed! Heck I even went to all the way live, then all the way back. And it still went back the entire 18 hours.
I suspect it's some kind of mistake/bug. I don't think it will happen again. But for now it's working perfectly, and still keeps adding..... I wonder how far it will go.

Anyway....
Thanks a ton for responding
Joey R