Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Kodi Community Development

Moderator: TVJunkie198

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Re: Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Post by djp952 »

DornoDios, it looks like a fix for this will have to wait for Kodi 20, which will be a long way out. My quick-fix proposal was rejected, Team Kodi favors an API change and the Matrix APIs have been finalized already.

I have a handful of options for you:
  • Do nothing and accept that "20/20" will appear as two folders
  • Remove the slash if present for the folder name ... "2020"
  • Replace the slash if present for the folder name with something else ... "20-20"
  • Don't place these in a folder at all. In this case, all the "20/20" recordings would simply be in the top "Recordings" folder
None are ideal, and I'd be fine with any of them. If I had to pick for myself, I would choose to replace the slash with a hyphen. But, since you found it you get to choose :)

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

Are you limited in characters used? Such as could you use a unicode fraction slash or something?

djp952

Post by djp952 »

signcarver wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:42 pm Are you limited in characters used? Such as could you use a unicode fraction slash or something?
Yes, I am limited to the ASCII character set due to platform limitations (cough - Windows - cough).

DornoDios
Device ID: 152029F9

Post by DornoDios »

I think a hyphen would be preferable because you can at least then see the name of the show, even though the meaning is different. Since it's a reference to 20/20 vision or as Cam Newton always says "Hindsight is 50/50". He's been corrected numerous times in post game interviews, but he still continues to say it. I guess he grew up saying it that way and he's not going to stop now, lol

Is there anyway to make it easier to delete multiple programs in a folder? For example on my old DTV DVR you could set a newscast to record every day at the same time, but only keep the two most recent newscasts on the DVR. Once the third one finished recording the oldest one would be deleted leaving you with 2 recordings at all times.

I understand that is very likely not possible or you would have already implemented it. So instead I was wondering if there is a way to remove the confirmation before I delete a file, so there are 2 less button presses necessary?

Another more preferred possibility would be an option to delete multiple recordings in the same folder at one time? I don't know if that is even possible. Ideally I could wipe out say 3-4 old newscasts in one fell swoop instead of having to do each one manually. Then a confirmation button wouldn't matter because I only have to press it once for each group of episodes I delete.

I don't even watch the news, but my mother does and I figured I'd just delete the entire folder in the afternoon before the new recordings begin. For some reason she just HAS to have the most recent newscast from XYZ channel available at all times. Meaning I can't just get rid of the folder I have to go in and manually delete 3-4 files everyday for 2 national news broadcasts and 2 different local news broadcasts. One at 6pm and another at 10pm.

It's not really a big deal, but I figured I would whine about it anyway in case you can help me. It's not like I've asked anything of you so far, LOL <-Sarcasm.

I really love the add-on and can't imagine switching to OTA from DTV without it. The add-on works at such a high level and in addition it allows me to keep most things in Kodi which is incredibly nice. My library and links to shared network folders that aren't part of the library etc.

I got a new antenna from Channel Master and it works incredibly well. Showing 100% in all 3 categories in the HDHomeRun Config app for Windows. When watching the Saints game today on CBS I noticed breakups at a handful of locations during the broadcast. I checked with the config utility and it shows 100% across the board, though not at the exact time of the interruptions. Then my mother mentioned the weather.

We've had some rain here today and even a little bit of snow around us, but not on us, which is unheard of. Thankfully it hasn't snowed here and has just rained. Reception is not bad right now, I'd just like to get it as close to perfect as possible. I hung the antenna using painter's tape, but I think it's a little too close to the door frame. I read that can impact reception because of the metal in the door frame.

So I was thinking I'd raise the height and/or just move it 6 inches away from the door frame to the left. It's only about 2 inches to the left of the door frame right now. I put it there because that was a location I could reach and I'll need assistance to move it any higher because I'm on crutches.

When the Scribe is capturing recordings do they go directly onto the HDD inside it or do those recordings travel over the router and then back to the Scribe HDD before being saved? I'm assuming they record directly to the HDD, because doing it the other way seems foolish. One of the reasons for choosing the Scribe was to limit local network traffic so that I could try to keep my precious router working for as long as possible. From what I can tell that seems to be the case and recordings are recorded to the internal HDD without being sent over the network unless requested by a client.

I'm ready to upgrade to Kodi v19 as soon as they have a final release. Unless you feel they are very close and it's in my best interest to upgrade now despite it not going final yet.
I always backup before doing anything like that, so if it doesn't work out the fix will be an easy re-install and a restore of the backup made prior to install.

Sorry for the long post. I'll try not to be as loquacious in the future. :)

djp952

Post by djp952 »

DornoDios wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:44 pm I think a hyphen would be preferable because you can at least then see the name of the show, even though the meaning is different. Since it's a reference to 20/20 vision or as Cam Newton always says "Hindsight is 50/50". He's been corrected numerous times in post game interviews, but he still continues to say it. I guess he grew up saying it that way and he's not going to stop now, lol
Can do!
DornoDios wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:44 pm Is there anyway to make it easier to delete multiple programs in a folder? For example on my old DTV DVR you could set a newscast to record every day at the same time, but only keep the two most recent newscasts on the DVR. Once the third one finished recording the oldest one would be deleted leaving you with 2 recordings at all times.
I don't even watch the news, but my mother does and I figured I'd just delete the entire folder in the afternoon before the new recordings begin. For some reason she just HAS to have the most recent newscast from XYZ channel available at all times. Meaning I can't just get rid of the folder I have to go in and manually delete 3-4 files everyday for 2 national news broadcasts and 2 different local news broadcasts. One at 6pm and another at 10pm.
That's the Kodi UI, the best you can do is delete an entire folder of recordings at once, at least with the default skin. Some third-party skin may allow you to multi-select items, but I don't know. The underpinnings operate on a single recording; for example if you delete a folder Kodi sends individual delete requests for each item that was in that folder.

Have you considered a sort in the folder to keep the most recent one at the top? Being a news program I'd suggest sort by Date since there won't be accurate season/episode in there, otherwise I prefer sort by File since behind the scenes that sorts by season and episode, which is how I like to see them. Not that you'd know that from the Kodi UI, of course, this information is "non-discoverable", which is a pet peeve of mine for any software :(
DornoDios wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:44 pm When the Scribe is capturing recordings do they go directly onto the HDD inside it or do those recordings travel over the router and then back to the Scribe HDD before being saved? I'm assuming they record directly to the HDD, because doing it the other way seems foolish. One of the reasons for choosing the Scribe was to limit local network traffic so that I could try to keep my precious router working for as long as possible. From what I can tell that seems to be the case and recordings are recorded to the internal HDD without being sent over the network unless requested by a client.
I would assume the traffic stays local to the device? If I had to guess they probably use the exact same software on the Scribe as everywhere else, but perhaps discover the local tuners on the loopback address, which would prevent it from going to the router. You should be able to look at the router while something is recording to see if there is any traffic from the Scribe, but I guess that depends on the router :) You could also go scientific method and unplug the Scribe's network connection while it's recording something and see if it stops!
DornoDios wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:44 pm I'm ready to upgrade to Kodi v19 as soon as they have a final release. Unless you feel they are very close and it's in my best interest to upgrade now despite it not going final yet.
I always backup before doing anything like that, so if it doesn't work out the fix will be an easy re-install and a restore of the backup made prior to install.
They are probably at least a month or two out, but I don't have any real information about that, just a guess. There isn't a ton of difference for TV between Leia and Matrix; I'm not using Matrix anywhere but my development system :)

djp952

Post by djp952 »

Looks like I missed a memo :) A Matrix API change was published a couple days ago; sorry for any inconvenience.

Version: 3.3.4a (2020.01.11)
  • (Matrix) Adapt to PVR API v7.1.0
Downloads: Version 3.3.4a is required for Kodi 19 "Matrix" nightly version 20210108-a8d00390 or later.

DornoDios

Post by DornoDios »

The router has the ability to look at the traffic, but only when I turn off Cut-Through-Forwarding. I don't want to do right now because my internet speed is 600mb/s on a 2-year promo and the price will go up by an absurd amount in April, so I set a reminder the same day I got the deal to call Comcast 2 years later and cancel it.

Instead I kept an eye on the CPU usage of the router to see if there were any changes as a recording ended at 30 seconds after the hour. The router CPU usage stayed the same rate while the recording was in progress and once it ended. So, based on that it does not appear as if the recordings are going over the network and then back to the HDD. One of the more attractive prospects of the Scribe was the idea that the recordings would just go directly to the drive and not pass over the network.

I suppose one way I could find out for certain would be to "test" my UPS, which the Scribe is plugged into. The switch that provides the Scribe's network connection is not on a battery backup. So if the Scribe is using the network part of the recording would fail when the network goes down. I don't want to do that right this minute, but at some later point when nothing I care about is going on I'll set a recording and run the test.

I'm still using version 18.9 on all my devices. Please don't make a new version of the add-on for the 20/20 thing! When they finalize version 19 I'll update to it and update your add-on at that time to fix the 20/20 thing.

When updating a version 18 install to version 19 should I remove your add-on before updating and then re-install the appropriate version after the update? Is that the ideal way to handle a version 18 to 19 update when using your add-on?

I remember 17 to 18 was a nightmare because of the SMB changes. I understood them and what was necessary to do since you could no longer browse folders and the network shares required passwords. When I changed the network entries everything in my library became playable again, but updating the library caused every single item in it to duplicate. I think I eventually just decided to clean the library and remove all the old entries. I don't remember exactly, just that it was a pain. Mainly because I had picked out specific artwork for sets so the poster used for the set would be different than the default poster. Thankfully that won't be an issue this time.

I'll just delete the entire folder of news after my mother watches the news that aired that day. I keep all my recordings listed by the date which they were recorded, so newest stuff shows up at the top.

Again, thanks so much for your help! I'll make a new post after cutting power with the UPS "test" feature. Then I'll see if a network connection is required for an in progress recording to continue on the Scribe.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

DornoDios wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:36 pm When updating a version 18 install to version 19 should I remove your add-on before updating and then re-install the appropriate version after the update? Is that the ideal way to handle a version 18 to 19 update when using your add-on?
You won't have much choice :) You don't have to uninstall it, but Kodi won't load the Leia addon and you'll have to manually install the Matrix version that one time.

I'm sure there is some Kodi repository voodoo that could prevent this, but I have each major version cordoned off from one another, I treat them like two separate applications.

tredman

Post by tredman »

For info - the standard Mac OS x64 version works well on an M1 Mac mini - good work :)

DornoDios

Post by DornoDios »

When I update from 18 to 19 is the add-on related data saved or do I set it up again?

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F »

DornoDios wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:47 pm When I update from 18 to 19 is the add-on related data saved or do I set it up again?
It gets saved if you do an upgrade. If you uninstall 18 then install 19 you'll probably lose all of the settings.

DornoDios

Post by DornoDios »

Here's the original post.
viewtopic.php?f=113&t=74756&p=369269#p369269

You are right this doesn't have anything to do with the add-on. If you can delete this post please do so. Thanks.
Last edited by DornoDios on Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

While I'm sure somebody will be able to help (LTE filter seems like a reasonable purchase to me), and please don't get me wrong here, I love talking to you, but given that this doesn't have anything to do with the PVR addon can we keep this one in the forum where you posted it? (Cross-posting is typically discouraged anyway).

The dilemma this thread runs into is that it's VERY LONG (it's high time for a clean break and a new thread) and new users are frequently discouraged by the length and my/our tendency to go off-topic :)

No slight intended my friend :)