Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Kodi Community Development

Moderator: TVJunkie198

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Re: Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Post by djp952 »

keen456 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:14 pm Good news! Your suggestions were totally on-point- I was trying to install the wrong version. I've always used the linux versions, so I had grabbed those by accident, and they weren't working.
When I actually grabbed the Android ARM package, it installed right away.
Thanks so much for this awesome DVR package.
You are very welcome my friend. I sincerely hope that it meets your needs, and if not please let me know so I can try to do something about it! Enjoy your weekend!

djp952

Post by djp952 »

Hi everyone, while I'm still in a "things seem good, nothing to do" state right now, I did notice something the other day and would like your input how to deal with it.

The relatively new change to adjust the Kodi Timer start and end times based on the start and end padding does have a sneaky side-effect sometimes. For example, where a timer that had a start padding and end padding of three minutes used to be reported as 7:30PM through 8:00PM, it's now reported as 7:27PM through 8:03PM. In what seems to be rare events, this can dork up Kodi a bit, primarily when very short programs bookend the program that will be recorded. The program may be reported incorrectly by Kodi before it records, but it will record just fine.

I don't think this is a "big" deal, per-se, but the addon reported the guide start/end times for around three years before the first request/complaint to change it, my thinking is to restore the original functionality (ignore the start/end padding) by default and add an option under "Interface" to opt into the new (current) behavior. Thoughts?

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F »

djp952 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:05 pm I don't think this is a "big" deal, per-se, but the addon reported the guide start/end times for around three years before the first request/complaint to change it, my thinking is to restore the original functionality (ignore the start/end padding) by default and add an option under "Interface" to opt into the new (current) behavior. Thoughts?
I noticed when recording series marathons (back-to-back-to-back recordings on the same channel) only the first one or two airings are reported by Kodi in the now recording and next recording blocks on the DVR main screen. Maybe this is caused by the padding as well?

I think having a toggle to disable/enable the timer padding being displayed in the UI is a great idea. It doesn't matter to me what the default setting is as long as I can change it. Whenever I set up a fresh Kodi install I change about 30 other settings anyway so having one more switch to flip isn't a big deal either.

emveepee

Post by emveepee »

djp952 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:05 pmThe relatively new change to adjust the Kodi Timer start and end times based on the start and end padding does have a sneaky side-effect sometimes. For example, where a timer that had a start padding and end padding of three minutes used to be reported as 7:30PM through 8:00PM, it's now reported as 7:27PM through 8:03PM. In what seems to be rare events, this can dork up Kodi a bit, primarily when very short programs bookend the program that will be recorded. The program may be reported incorrectly by Kodi before it records, but it will record just fine.
If you are able to set the use the recording.SetEPGEventId() to the value used for broadcast.SetUniqueBroadcastId() for the same SetUniqueChannelId() you don't need to match on time. I use the EPG end time for this ID.

Martin

djp952

Post by djp952 »

emveepee wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:13 pm If you are able to set the use the recording.SetEPGEventId() to the value used for broadcast.SetUniqueBroadcastId() for the same SetUniqueChannelId() you don't need to match on time. I use the EPG end time for this ID.

Martin
Did not know that! Sounds ideal, will hook it up that way instead. Thank you so much Martin!!

djp952

Post by djp952 »

djp952 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:27 pm
emveepee wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:13 pm If you are able to set the use the recording.SetEPGEventId() to the value used for broadcast.SetUniqueBroadcastId() for the same SetUniqueChannelId() you don't need to match on time. I use the EPG end time for this ID.

Martin
Did not know that! Sounds ideal, will hook it up that way instead. Thank you so much Martin!!
Bummer, that only exists for Recordings as opposed to Timers :(

What I did that is being changed was to apply the start and end padding values to the Timer start and end times so they will report when the actual recording will start and end, but it causes some oddness in the EPG at times, mainly for short programs and marathons -- for example, if Disney has a Mickey Mouse short on from 7:25PM to 7:30PM, and then the program the timer is set for starting at 7:30PM, the Kodi Timer may report "Mickey Mouse" instead of whatever it actually is because the Timer has 5 minutes of start padding, so I made the start time 7:25PM.

There is no actual impact to the Recordings themselves, they start and end when they should and will report accurately. It's a cosmetic thing with Timers.

This is one of those things that would be best handled by Kodi as opposed to the PVR in my opinion, in that we're reporting program start/end times and start/end padding so it could do it 'right' for the user.

It's yet another case of me trying to muck with the data to get Kodi to do something that was asked for (and makes sense to me), but ended up being a bit ill-advised in the end. Won't be the last time! :)

starslayer74
Device ID: 15300503, 1325D5CE

Post by starslayer74 »

I noticed over the last week or so that when I watch live TV, I'm getting buffering and once in awhile, I get an error message that says "Unable to read from stream" and then it stops the video.

I usually get about 15 minutes of watch time before it stops. I am running on a ShieldTV. I found when I access my HDHomerun using the default app or using the Live TV App, I don't have any issues like this.

Nothing has changed in my setup.... any ideas? I'm hoping that it's not my Prime getting ready to go up, I've had it for awhile now. I'm thinking since it's working on the other two methods it's more likely something corrupted in the software....

djp952

Post by djp952 »

starslayer74 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:47 pm I noticed over the last week or so that when I watch live TV, I'm getting buffering and once in awhile, I get an error message that says "Unable to read from stream" and then it stops the video.

I usually get about 15 minutes of watch time before it stops. I am running on a ShieldTV. I found when I access my HDHomerun using the default app or using the Live TV App, I don't have any issues like this.

Nothing has changed in my setup.... any ideas? I'm hoping that it's not my Prime getting ready to go up, I've had it for awhile now. I'm thinking since it's working on the other two methods it's more likely something corrupted in the software....
Hi starslayer74!

DVR engine or no DVR engine? I don't want to scare you, but this sounds exactly what happened to me late last year until about February; my NAS drives were dying (any chance using WD Red 6TBs? If so, I have more information about it).

I seriously doubt there is anything wrong with the tuner(s). Kodi is very sensitive to being starved for data, even momentarily, when we're getting it via the DVR engine and that would cause the buffering. "Unable to read from stream" is more severe, and indicates that an actual HTTP error or more likely a hard timeout has occurred. My NAS was having extreme difficulty writing the data from the tuner(s) to disk, which in turn caused periodic problems reading it from disk, which was starving the HTTP connection. I don't recall ever getting the hard error, though, always buffering, and it was VERY periodic for me, like every 15 minutes or every hour on the hour. It was quite odd.

I also recall the official app not having nearly as much trouble with it, it's not as sensitive to small problems as Kodi can be, and Live TV is likely hitting the tuners directly, cutting the DVR out of the loop.

I would be very interested to see a Kodi log if you get the "Unable to read from stream" again, the HTTP error that caused it should be there. Buffering events aren't logged well by Kodi, even with Debugging on, but it will pretty much always be because it's waited a certain amount of time to see a specific Program Time Stamp (PTS) and it hasn't gotten it, so it's buffering to wait for that PTS to come in.

Short of catching it in the Kodi log, and again assuming that a DVR engine is in play, here is what I would recommend to narrow it down. First thing I would set the PVR to stream Live TV from the tuners instead of the DVR to see if the problem disappears. ( Addon Settings / Advanced / Stream Live TV channels directly from tuner device(s) ). Be advised, in this configuration you won't be able to timeshift Live TV. Next up I would have a look at the DVR logs. Specifically look for the items like these:

Code: Select all

20200827-00:07:35 Status: Disk read: MB=33 MB/s=341 worst=1
20200827-00:07:35 Status: Disk write: MB=43 MB/s=38 worst=156
I forget the unit of measurement for "worst" (ms to write 128K? something like that), but when my NAS was dying I was seeing numbers upwards of 2000 on the Disk writes from time to time, which meant it was taking more than 2 seconds to write a very small amount of data.

If there is no DVR in play or you see the same behavior with "Stream Live TV channels directly from tuner device(s)", we'll have to dig in to find out why cURL is having problems with HTTP. I keep cURL very up to date, there is always a chance that a bug/change creeped in that could be causing something, but it's unlikely to have just manifested for you out of the blue.

Keep me apprised, I'll keep the thinking cap on if anything else comes to mind that's easy to try I'll let you know!

starslayer74
Device ID: 15300503, 1325D5CE

Post by starslayer74 »

I appreciate the info. I forgot to mention, I am running the DVR with a Servio as my storage. The Servio is approximately a year old so I hope thats not it... I was playing with settings and changed the stream setting from HTTP to RTP/UDP and it *seems* to have corrected the issue, for now.

If it is the servio, I don't feel too bad because I got it for a song during a sale and I had a bunch of Best Buy rewards that I used towards it.... but still.

Funny enough, I am considering building a Raspberry Pi based NAS for my movies and tv show collections because I am moving soon and will have more than one TV to serve media to in the new place.... but I never considered using any storage on a NAS for DVR because my setup was rock solid in that regard...

I am getting ready to travel for the next week and a half, so I won't be able to do much more testing here but when I return I'll do some heavy duty testing and will see if my changes truly made any difference.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

Hey gang, I have some (hopefully temporary) bad news for the Matrix builds. Kodi has disallowed the method I was using for auto-update on this platform, to the extent that you won't even be able to install the addon against recent nightlies.

The new rule appears to be that if you install an addon from a .zip directly, that addon is not eligible for updates. The addon has to come from a repository instead. You can still install it (once I change it), but you will get a warning to that effect from Kodi. What this means for us, is that if you want automatic updates, you will need to install a repository addon (still a .zip) from me first, and then go through that to install the PVR addon.

Unfortunately, this also means the entire way I'm putting all this together needs to change, and that will take time and testing. I'll need to go back to a single "addons.xml" file in the repository that list every current version/platform instead of having individual mini-repos for every platform. I used to do this originally with Leia, but some may remember that I was hand-editing the manifest file every time and errors would often creep in. A tool of some kind will need to be authored.

So for now, I'm going to go ahead and build/release a "3.3.2b" for Matrix that removes the repository, tagged something like "[Matrix] Remove legacy auto-update capabilities". Not being able to install the addon at all now is kind of a show-stopper that needs to be addressed ASAP. I'm not sure how long it will take to redo everything involved satisfactorily, but until then Matrix updates will need to be installed manually. The end result I'm planning should also allow for back versions to be available via "Update" again, which is nice.

Note that I have no intention of changing how Leia works today, so the lionshare of folks will not be affected.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

Let's call the post above a big ol' heap of nothing, Team Kodi changed the most recent nightly so the way it is still works! Glad I dragged my feet a little on pushing out an update for Matrix and then needing to pull it back.

Thanks Team Kodi! (and no, I had nothing to do with it).

jwelch5792

Post by jwelch5792 »

Hello,
I need some help. I just rebuilt my media center PC and I am having an issues with the zuki.pvr.hdhomerundvr-linux-x86_64-leia-3.3.2.7501.zip.
When i click on the tv and pick a channel it will load but it not load the steam/no video will start and Kodi will crash. This is my second media center running Linux Mint with kodi and Zuki's pvr plugin and that one one work fine. I am not sure what I am missing/doing wrong with this one.

Here is my PC setup.
Linux mint 19.3
Kodi 18.8
zuki.pvr.hdhomerundvr-linux-x86_64-leia-3.3.2.7501

Let me know if you need anything.
Thanks for any help
Jesse

djp952

Post by djp952 »

jwelch5792 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:41 pm Hello,
I need some help. I just rebuilt my media center PC and I am having an issues with the zuki.pvr.hdhomerundvr-linux-x86_64-leia-3.3.2.7501.zip.
When i click on the tv and pick a channel it will load but it not load the steam/no video will start and Kodi will crash. This is my second media center running Linux Mint with kodi and Zuki's pvr plugin and that one one work fine. I am not sure what I am missing/doing wrong with this one.

Here is my PC setup.
Linux mint 19.3
Kodi 18.8
zuki.pvr.hdhomerundvr-linux-x86_64-leia-3.3.2.7501

Let me know if you need anything.
Thanks for any help
Jesse
I think based on the description I will need to see the Kodi log file to narrow down the concern for you. If an error is occurring in the PVR addon it should be logged there; but if Kodi is actually crashing the log(s) needed may not be fully written before it dies, depending on when this is happening.

Would it be possible to acquire the Kodi log for the event(s)? I am happy to PM you an e-mail address you can send them to, or since they are Kodi log file(s) you can also use https://paste.kodi.tv/ to copy/paste the log and just link to them. Given that Kodi is crashing out my guess is that Mint 19.3 doesn't have the necessary runtime support (GCC 4.9) by default or that the selected platform (x86_64) is not correct for the Linux Kernel in play, but I am unable to provide any advice to that nature without first seeing what Kodi thinks should be going on :)

I am here to help; in this case though I am in need of a bit of a nudge to know were to look ...

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F »

djp952 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:21 pm Given that Kodi is crashing out my guess is that Mint 19.3 doesn't have the necessary runtime support (GCC 4.9) by default...
Kodi (from the PPA) is working fine for me on Mint 19.3.

jwelch5792

Post by jwelch5792 »

djp952 can you PM and I will send you the files that you need.
Thanks
djp952 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:21 pm
I think based on the description I will need to see the Kodi log file to narrow down the concern for you. If an error is occurring in the PVR addon it should be logged there; but if Kodi is actually crashing the log(s) needed may not be fully written before it dies, depending on when this is happening.

Would it be possible to acquire the Kodi log for the event(s)? I am happy to PM you an e-mail address you can send them to, or since they are Kodi log file(s) you can also use https://paste.kodi.tv/ to copy/paste the log and just link to them. Given that Kodi is crashing out my guess is that Mint 19.3 doesn't have the necessary runtime support (GCC 4.9) by default or that the selected platform (x86_64) is not correct for the Linux Kernel in play, but I am unable to provide any advice to that nature without first seeing what Kodi thinks should be going on :)

I am here to help; in this case though I am in need of a bit of a nudge to know were to look ...