Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Kodi Community Development

Moderator: TVJunkie198

pb_cymru

Re: Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Postby pb_cymru » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:35 pm

Is it possible to install this on an Amazon Firestick (latest generation)? If so which version should I use as I’ve tried a few but each has failed to install?

It would be great to get this working as I’ve been using the plugin on my Mac mini with great success for quite a while now.
I use it on a first and second (current?) generation FireStick here in fact. The download you want is the Android ARM APK (Krypton and Jarvis both work). You will need to side-load the APK, which isn't too hard but there a number of ways to do it. Check out a Google Search for side-loading apps on a FireStick second generation device.

Here is the link to the latest (v1.3.1) Krypton APK version you should be able to use:

https://github.com/djp952/pvr.hdhomerun ... 1.6791.apk
Latest generation is 3rd generation. I've side loaded the file you linked to both using Downloader and adb but each time, although I can see the file on the firestick using adb, it's doesn't appear in Kodi so I'm unable to install it! I tried previously using a different android apk which I can see in Kodi when I copy it across via adb but it won't install! Any ideas?

Hardax

Postby Hardax » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:00 pm

Is it possible to install this on an Amazon Firestick (latest generation)? If so which version should I use as I’ve tried a few but each has failed to install?

It would be great to get this working as I’ve been using the plugin on my Mac mini with great success for quite a while now.
I use it on a first and second (current?) generation FireStick here in fact. The download you want is the Android ARM APK (Krypton and Jarvis both work). You will need to side-load the APK, which isn't too hard but there a number of ways to do it. Check out a Google Search for side-loading apps on a FireStick second generation device.

Here is the link to the latest (v1.3.1) Krypton APK version you should be able to use:

https://github.com/djp952/pvr.hdhomerun ... 1.6791.apk
Latest generation is 3rd generation. I've side loaded the file you linked to both using Downloader and adb but each time, although I can see the file on the firestick using adb, it's doesn't appear in Kodi so I'm unable to install it! I tried previously using a different android apk which I can see in Kodi when I copy it across via adb but it won't install! Any ideas?
The APK your doenloading is a full Kodi install not just the PVR add on. You have to uninstall you previous Kodi installation and install this one. You won’t loose your current settings.

djp952

Postby djp952 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:41 pm

The APK your doenloading is a full Kodi install not just the PVR add on. You have to uninstall you previous Kodi installation and install this one. You won’t loose your current settings.
Spot-on - thank you Hardax! In order to use this PVR with regular Kodi on Android you have to jump through all kinds of hoops, and sadly also need to be rooted. There are directions on the wiki, but I really don't recommend it, it's a royal pain.

I was poking around the FireXXX specs, and while I think "FireStick" is still 2nd gen, but "FireTV" is 3rd gen (and not much bigger than the stick anymore), but it shouldn't matter. They all appear to still be using the 32-bit ARM architecture, so the APK would be the same for all models/generations.

pb_cymru, for my own curiosity only, if/when you get it hooked up and happy, I'd be interested in your thoughts on how it handles 1080i channels. I believe all generations of FireXXX still can't deinterlace via hardware. Here I find it unusable for 1080i but my wife, for example, can't tell the difference. Again, just curious :D The FireStick we actually have in use on one TV is mainly used for DVD/Blu-Ray movies through as opposed to TV.

djp952

Postby djp952 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:23 pm

Leia news! As of this evening I have Leia (windows) working acceptably well again AND I have finally successfully automated the Universal Windows (uwp) builds! I hope that this means there will be a 1.3.2 release sometime this weekend and we finally may be on our way into XBox compatibility??

** On XBox/Universal Windows it will be a separate .appx like we have for Android APKs. There seems to be no way around this, it's impossible to install a binary add-on from a .zip file into the UWP Kodi version.

I am left wondering where the UWP ARM build.is ... I have PVR client for that but without a Kodi .appx available to modify, ARM is a non-starter ....

djp952

Postby djp952 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:47 am

Here is a Leia v1.3.2 'beta' for you folks on the bleeding edge. Not technically published, just shared for your testing pleasure:

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AgEGEEVzGNq-i5Ei9Z5sfCRydF1nUA

edit: The following statements are for the new APPX (Windows 10 S, Windows Mobile, Xbox) packages available now … Leia on "Regular" Kodi for Desktop Windows still uses the .zip file. If you installed Leia from an .EXE file that's "Regular" Kodi.

I'm going to assume the folks wanting to try this on Xbox or Windows 10 using the UWP APPX will know what to do -- there is a matching .CER certificate file that needs to be installed before Windows will allow the installation. Same as regular Kodi APPX (but a different certificate).

The certificate is the same for Win32 and X64 APPX (and is also actually the same one used with the Android APKs, for what it's worth). So, in theory, you should only have to install/trust it one time on any given UWP system.

There are still an annoying amount of TODOs in the Leia code, but I think generally speaking this should work fairly well. Let me know of any major issues. Also very interested in if it actually works on Xbox as I don't have one :)

Oh - you should ignore the UWP .ZIP files, you can't do anything with them at all. Ultimately I will probably not even bother distributing/posting those, they are here only for completeness.

Good luck!!
Last edited by djp952 on Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ken.F

Postby Ken.F » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:25 pm

Here is a Leia v1.3.2 'beta' for you folks on the bleeding edge. Not technically published, just shared for your testing pleasure:
I tried it out on one of my RPi2s. The addon itself seems to work fine. Video playback isn't as smooth as it was on Krypton but that's probably a Kodi issue. It acts as if it's not picking up my mpeg-2 license but h.264 channels don't look any better. Once in a while when I tune a channel I just get a black screen with audio. If I stop and start it again or skip back once the picture comes back.

Hardax

Postby Hardax » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:43 pm

Here is a Leia v1.3.2 'beta' for you folks on the bleeding edge. Not technically published, just shared for your testing pleasure..
So far so good on Windows 10. Leia is definitely not as smooth as Krypton but I’m almost positive it’s Kodi and not the add on. Leia navigation in general is sub par and we are almost into beta? Still a long way to go.

I was having an issue where if I put live tv in the background while navigating Kodi the video would at some point start to fast forward on it own almost like it was trying to catch up with itself. This behavior seems to have stopped with the new build.

Your install instructions confused me a little bit for a Windows 10 install. All I did was download the zip that was at the bottom of you list and updated the add on. Didn’t deal with certificates or anything?

djp952

Postby djp952 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:05 pm

Here is a Leia v1.3.2 'beta' for you folks on the bleeding edge. Not technically published, just shared for your testing pleasure..
So far so good on Windows 10. Leia is definitely not as smooth as Krypton but I’m almost positive it’s Kodi and not the add on. Leia navigation in general is sub par and we are almost into beta? Still a long way to go.

I was having an issue where if I put live tv in the background while navigating Kodi the video would at some point start to fast forward on it own almost like it was trying to catch up with itself. This behavior seems to have stopped with the new build.

Your install instructions confused me a little bit for a Windows 10 install. All I did was download the zip that was at the bottom of you list and updated the add on. Didn’t deal with certificates or anything?
I see the same video performance problems with Leia here, doubly so on the new UWP stuff. I think they have some outstanding TODOs as well but I have the utmost faith in Team Kodi.

The special instructions are for the new UWP "APPX" packages. These are for the upcoming Universal Windows Platform builds of Kodi, I believe intended to replace the current Windows Store app. UWP is a 'native' store app, it works on regular Windows 10, Windows 10 S, Windows Mobile (really), and Xbox One. In theory it also runs on ARM devices like the new tablet-type devices out there now, but Kodi doesn't have an ARM build available yet. The certificate is necessary to allow you to install the .APPX, to show that you trust the source since it didn't come from the Microsoft Store. Think of the APPX as the Windows version of an Android APK.

Regular Kodi on Windows is thankfully just the .zip file install still. I highly recommend sticking with regular Kodi on desktop Windows, at least for now. The UWP Kodi has a few really annoying limitations that just don't make sense on full-blown Windows. Like not being able to access my NAS filesystems where my 16TB of media happens to be. There are hoops I could jump through to make it work, and it's not Team Kodi's fault (it's Microsoft's), but still. Having Kodi on Xbox One is actually pretty great for people, it fills the void Microsoft left when they killed that intended feature set back before it launched.

mkbrimley

Postby mkbrimley » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:10 pm

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yKNXJ ... dR7hu-HL_Q

Here's a short clip I recorded for you. Hope it helps!

djp952

Postby djp952 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:18 pm

First off, thank you guys so much for the sample files; while I haven't been able to do anything useful with them yet other than check them for corruption, I am looking forward to seeing if there is anything I can do in the PVR client to help reduce/alleviate your playback issues.

That said, I'd like to notify those watching this thread of a new build:

Version 1.3.2 (2018.08.05)
  • Update cURL library to version 7.61.0
  • Fix bug causing HTTP stream to remain in a paused state indefinitely if the ring buffer has been completely filled
  • Remove "DVR stream read operation timeout (milliseconds)" advanced option
  • (Krypton) (Leia) Fix bug causing potential access violation when system is suspended during an active Live TV or Recorded TV stream
  • Apply workaround for SQLite database engine concern causing some HTTP queries to be executed multiple times
  • (Leia) (UWP) Initial release of modified APPX packages for Universal Windows Platform Win32 and x64 targets
Downloads:
https://github.com/djp952/pvr.hdhomerun ... /Downloads

For the 'formally' supported Jarvis and Krypton, there isn't much here. 1.3.2 is primarily an overdue Leia catch-up release. There are some points of interest, though:

While it sounds awful the "Fix bug causing HTTP stream to remain in a paused state indefinitely" item was mainly for Leia. Jarvis and Krypton are very hard-pressed to actually fill that buffer up due to way Pause was implemented. Leia was done differently and this was a really big problem for that platform.

Getting rid of "DVR stream read operation timeout (milliseconds)" option is due to the new stream implementation introduced in 1.2.10. There is little point in specifying this anymore, the HTTP library (cURL) handles this on it's own.

"Fix bug causing potential access violation when system is suspended" was a Krypton/Leia specific problem. Kodi is pretty horrible in regard to suspend/resume, but what I never realized was that the call to suspend was sent on a different thread. This fix prevents the possible access violation that could have occurred -- it does NOT make Kodi any better at suspend/resume.

"Apply workaround for SQLite database engine concern causing some HTTP queries to be executed multiple times" is also far more benign than it may sound. Due to a limitation/concern with SQLite an HTTP query could be run multiple times with the same URL. I changed the three affected functions (discover devices, discover lineups, add recording rule) to use a temp table to store the results and then query against that to avoid the problem.

The UWP bullet is Leia-specific, this build marks the first time I am making repackaged Kodi .APPX files for use on Xbox. The corresponding .CER file must be installed prior to installing the .APPX.

Like I said, zero Earth-shattering changes for Jarvis and Krypton, but Leia is looking a great deal better!! Leia 1.3.2 link here, since it's extra unoffical and Kodi Leia is still in an Aplha 3 status:

https://github.com/djp952/pvr.hdhomerun ... leia-1.3.2

Hardax

Postby Hardax » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:25 pm

Like I said, zero Earth-shattering changes for Jarvis and Krypton, but Leia is looking a great deal better!! Leia 1.3.2 link here, since it's extra unoffical and Kodi Leia is still in an Aplha 3 status:

Is this the regular Windows install? It gives me an error when I try to update inside Kodi.

djp952

Postby djp952 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:25 pm

Is this the regular Windows install? It gives me an error when I try to update inside Kodi.
That link at the bottom is for the Leia 'preview' builds. I think you are on Krypton (Kodi 17.6), right? For Krypton or Jarvis (16.1) use the regular download link. I post the Leia link directly because it's not linked up anywhere else until Leia goes at least to Beta 1.

Ken.F

Postby Ken.F » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:58 pm

That link at the bottom is for the Leia 'preview' builds.
I can't find the Leia builds at that link either. It looks like it's just the source code.

djp952

Postby djp952 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:46 pm

That link at the bottom is for the Leia 'preview' builds.
I can't find the Leia builds at that link either. It looks like it's just the source code.
Ha! It helps a LOT if you hit the "publish" button! It was saved as a draft (thankfully), try now.

GitHub ate my homework :(

Ken.F

Postby Ken.F » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:47 pm

GitHub ate my homework :(
Is it too soon to blame it on Microsoft?

Return to “Kodi Community Development”