Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Kodi Community Development

Moderator: TVJunkie198

obliojoe

Re: Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Postby obliojoe » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:52 am

I gave the beta a try, but it still happens as you suspected. As far as providing a recording, I could do that but it honestly happens with every recording - there are no specific recordings that cause the freezing to occur more or less. Also, this does not happen on my Windows installs, only on my Nvidia Shield TV boxes. Would it still be helpful for me to send you a file?

Thanks so much for thinking about this. It is honestly the one nagging issue keeping our setup from getting a perfect WAF score. And even with this issue, it is the closest we've ever been!

obe

obliojoe

Postby obliojoe » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:16 am

Well, this seems interesting... as a test, I copied one of the DVR files from the HDHomeRun directory into the directory on my NAS (where I keep all of my other Movie / TV videos). Then, I accessed the file vie the regular Kodi videos interface. When I play the video from here, the seek issue still happens. Wouldn't this bypass your plugin completely? So the issue seems to be specific to the HDHomeRun files and my system, correct? :shock:

obe

mkbrimley

Postby mkbrimley » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:50 pm

Hello! I have the similar "freezing when rewinding" issue, and I thought I'd post a few observations I found.

First, the model of Shield I have is one with 500 GB internal memory. My recordings are stored on this drive.

Second, I found that when accessing the HDHomeRun recordings from ANY app replicated the error--NOT just Kodi. I tested them in MXPlayer and VLC, and both had issues picking up the stream from where I instructed it to, freezing and taking quite a while to start back up again.

Third, well, there actually WAS one app that played the files pretty well...the official HDHomeRun DVR app! While still not as smooth as other DVR software I've used in the past, it never froze and played the files pretty much instantly.

As an experiment, I'm soon going to try to have the HDHomeRun record to a USB external drive instead of the internal memory and see if that makes a difference.

djp952

Postby djp952 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:33 pm

Well, this seems interesting... as a test, I copied one of the DVR files from the HDHomeRun directory into the directory on my NAS (where I keep all of my other Movie / TV videos). Then, I accessed the file vie the regular Kodi videos interface. When I play the video from here, the seek issue still happens. Wouldn't this bypass your plugin completely? So the issue seems to be specific to the HDHomeRun files and my system, correct? :shock:

obe
Wow, great test and great information! That would absolutely bypass the plugin completely, Kodi would use it's own internal "DVD" player for the MPEG-TS stream file.

Is there any possibility of uploading the DVR file somewhere I can access? There have been a couple cases in the past where a 'bad' MPEG-TS file causes Kodi to lock up on playback and I was able to track it down to being a corrupt file due to a momentary drop-out from the tuner, which Kodi can't seem to recover from. I have a tool that can scan the file to check for bad/misaligned packets. (As do we all - it's the publicly available "MPEG-TS Packet Analyzer" - http://www.pjdaniel.org.uk/mpeg/).

Are you running ATSC/OTA by chance? The probability of a corrupt MPEG-TS stream greatly increases with the use of an antenna.

For what it's worth on the problems with the file I couldn't solve in the past, the issue was that Kodi is trying to seek to the end to figure out how long the stream is, and since the MPEG-TS packets are misaligned when it gets there, it just locks up. It's hard to recover from that, but if the problem is this prevalent, code could definitely be added to TRY to fix it by manually realigning the packets. Not sure how reliable that will be, but I can certainly try.

djp952

Postby djp952 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:36 pm

Hello! I have the similar "freezing when rewinding" issue, and I thought I'd post a few observations I found.

First, the model of Shield I have is one with 500 GB internal memory. My recordings are stored on this drive.

Second, I found that when accessing the HDHomeRun recordings from ANY app replicated the error--NOT just Kodi. I tested them in MXPlayer and VLC, and both had issues picking up the stream from where I instructed it to, freezing and taking quite a while to start back up again.

Third, well, there actually WAS one app that played the files pretty well...the official HDHomeRun DVR app! While still not as smooth as other DVR software I've used in the past, it never froze and played the files pretty much instantly.

As an experiment, I'm soon going to try to have the HDHomeRun record to a USB external drive instead of the internal memory and see if that makes a difference.
More great information - thank you. At this point I think asking SiliconDust may be in order; if the .mpg file won't play across a number of applications there may be something wrong that they can fix. Same concern as above - are you running an ATSC/OTA setup? In that case it may be difficult to guarantee that the recorded stream is perfect -- but the client applications should be able to detect and handle that in theory.

If you have a place you can upload one of these recordings, I'm happy to try to figure out what's wrong with it that it's choking these applications...

obliojoe

Postby obliojoe » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:58 pm

Yeah, this definitely clears up a lot about the problem! I am using the HDHomeRun Prime with a cable card. I'll try to get something short recorded - so that it is not a huge file - and share it with you. Thanks!

mkbrimley

Postby mkbrimley » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:43 am

I'm using an HDHomeRun Connect Duo connected to a QAM coaxial signal from my local cable provider (Altice/Optimum AKA Cablevision). I'll try and make a short recording tonight and upload it somewhere.

obliojoe, out of curiosity, where are your recordings being saved?

obliojoe

Postby obliojoe » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:54 am

On a NAS share on my network. Like you said, everything works great within the HDHomerun software - it also works quite well on Kodi for Windows. But in Kodi on 3 Shield TV boxes, every recording has this problem.

Here is a short clip I recorded last night and I confirmed I could replicate the hanging issue in Kodi. I hope it's okay to just put this here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1m8Lv6S ... sp=sharing

Thanks,
obe

Ken.F

Postby Ken.F » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:52 am

I have one recording that crashes Kodi whenever I try to play it on my Linux based clients (LibreELEC, OSMC and Mint 18.3). The same recording plays fine using the official HDHR app on Android and the unofficial add-on on Win7. It's only that one recording so far that does it so it's not a major issue. If you want that file to see what's going with it I can upload it somewhere. It does have a few glitches during playback near the end so it's probably just a bad recording.

obliojoe

Postby obliojoe » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:53 am

One more thing and I'll quiet down a bit (sorry for all of the noise). I have a Sony Android TV and I installed Kodi + the PVR addon. It works fine with all of the same recordings that freeze on the Shield. Whether watching them via the PVR plugin or via the normal Videos interface -- they seek back and forth great.

This is definitely an issue specific to Shield TV + HDHomeRun. Strange.

obe

pb_cymru

Postby pb_cymru » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:36 pm

Is it possible to install this on an Amazon Firestick (latest generation)? If so which version should I use as I’ve tried a few but each has failed to install?

It would be great to get this working as I’ve been using the plugin on my Mac mini with great success for quite a while now.

djp952

Postby djp952 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:40 pm

On a NAS share on my network. Like you said, everything works great within the HDHomerun software - it also works quite well on Kodi for Windows. But in Kodi on 3 Shield TV boxes, every recording has this problem.

Here is a short clip I recorded last night and I confirmed I could replicate the hanging issue in Kodi. I hope it's okay to just put this here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1m8Lv6S ... sp=sharing

Thanks,
obe
Downloading now, will see what I can find out! Thanks!

djp952

Postby djp952 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:45 pm

I have one recording that crashes Kodi whenever I try to play it on my Linux based clients (LibreELEC, OSMC and Mint 18.3). The same recording plays fine using the official HDHR app on Android and the unofficial add-on on Win7. It's only that one recording so far that does it so it's not a major issue. If you want that file to see what's going with it I can upload it somewhere. It does have a few glitches during playback near the end so it's probably just a bad recording.
This matches what I've seen in the past, the decoder (Kodi/ffmpeg/etc) is scanning to the end of the file to figure out how long it is. When it gets there, the MPEG packets are misaligned and it reads garbage and locks up.

The one sample I still have from that works fine on Windows and Linux, but locks up OSMC for example. It seems a little hit and miss as to how it will behave.

I've considered adding some form of stream fixer in the code if a packet alignment problem is detected, but it felt like the kind of thing that could cause more problems that it would solve. In retrospect, such an operation might not be too terrible to try during a seek specifically, my concern was trying to manipulate an already playing stream. Forcing a seek to land at the start of a packet as opposed to where Kodi asked for it didn't work great in the past, but so many tweaks and fixes have happened since then maybe it's time to try again!

djp952

Postby djp952 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:48 pm

Is it possible to install this on an Amazon Firestick (latest generation)? If so which version should I use as I’ve tried a few but each has failed to install?

It would be great to get this working as I’ve been using the plugin on my Mac mini with great success for quite a while now.
I use it on a first and second (current?) generation FireStick here in fact. The download you want is the Android ARM APK (Krypton and Jarvis both work). You will need to side-load the APK, which isn't too hard but there a number of ways to do it. Check out a Google Search for side-loading apps on a FireStick second generation device.

Here is the link to the latest (v1.3.1) Krypton APK version you should be able to use:

https://github.com/djp952/pvr.hdhomerun ... 1.6791.apk

Ken.F

Postby Ken.F » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:54 pm

...maybe it's time to try again!
I sent you a PM with a download link.

Return to “Kodi Community Development”