Silicondust Blog (4/20/2015) - DVR Kickstarter

Silicondust Blog
nickk
Silicondust

Silicondust Blog (4/20/2015) - DVR Kickstarter

Post by nickk » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:38 pm

We have been quite and busy for a while... lots of good work we haven't been able to talk about until now...

We have been working on a software DVR solution that uses a HDHomeRun + NAS to record without needed an always on PC.

Of course if you have a server or Media PC (or Mac!) that will work as well!

Kickstarter launch:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/12 ... e-imagined

The service has a once-a-year subscription of $30 (about the same as SchedulesDirect for MythTV). That gets you full DVR, fully searchable TV guide, free client apps, and for PRIME you get protected content support that isn't tied to one WMC PC.

Lot of improvements to the HDHomeRun VIEW client in the works as well.

Nick

nickk
Silicondust

Re: Silicondust Blog (4/20/2015) - DVR Kickstarter

Post by nickk » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:46 pm

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:20 pm

nickk wrote:The service has a once-a-year subscription of $30 (about the same as MythTV).
Just to be accurate, Schedules Direct (the guide service) charges the fee. MythTV itself is "free" (ignoring all the costs of the system(s) to run it, and the investment of ones time, none of which are really "free"). A guide service is a necessity (for a DVR), and in the US, all guide service providers charge a fee. A fee is not charged in all parts of the world.

That said, thanks for the opportunity to support this, and allowing you (and the rest of us) to gauge interest. Having choices (WMC, MythTV, SageTV, .... and now a SiliconDust DVR) is a good thing.

TonVH

Post by TonVH » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:09 pm

What will be the advantage of using this above products like DVBlogic (onetime fee 30, no early), TVheadend (free), MythTV (free)?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:29 am

Nothing for what content you can do that with... the fee is essentially for guide data, my understanding is some areas can get that free but $20-$40/year is about standard for most areas... the main one I'm familiar with is $25 and can't be used with commercial software.

mike_ekim

Post by mike_ekim » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:21 am

TonVH wrote:What will be the advantage of using this above products like DVBlogic (onetime fee 30, no early), TVheadend (free), MythTV (free)?
Do those other products support DVR service with cablecard copy once programming?

TonVH

Post by TonVH » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:36 am

mike_ekim wrote:
TonVH wrote:What will be the advantage of using this above products like DVBlogic (onetime fee 30, no early), TVheadend (free), MythTV (free)?
Do those other products support DVR service with cablecard copy once programming?
You mean having to use a Smartcard? I know there are ways to do that but I never had that problem since I always have had unencoded DVB-C signal (FTC/FTA). And for guide information there area lot of free XMLTV.

Mediaman
Expert
Device ID: 131045A9, 131F4A88

Post by Mediaman » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:50 pm

Mike is being rhetorical he knows that those programs do not support copyonce content and that only MS WMC can let Time Warner and most of Charter and Cox users view or record their content. Along with all premium content found on Comcast and Fios. But not for long. I am in picking up the 4 TB DVR, sent a notice to every email address I have. Make this happen people!!!

TonVH

Post by TonVH » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:17 pm

Maybe but I do know that there is additional hard/software (each for 'scam') that enable to view/record decoded TV signals.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:55 am

TonVH wrote:Maybe but I do know that there is additional hard/software (each for 'scam') that enable to view/record decoded TV signals.
The US market is substantially different than (pretty much) everywhere else. That goes for what content is broadcast "free", what DRM is applied (and how), the price/availability of EPG, and modulation/transmission standards, do not forget the standards.

It seems likely that unless all parties spend a lot of time and effort understanding the other areas technology, and their regulatory environment, there is going to be a lot of talking past each other.

bgrubb1

Post by bgrubb1 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:19 pm

I have backed this project on kickstarter, looking forward to it.
One question - can the NAS run a DLNA client as well.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:02 pm

bgrubb1 wrote:I have backed this project on kickstarter, looking forward to it.
One question - can the NAS run a DLNA client as well.
Most NAS boxes have some level of DLNA support and will serve the copy-freely recordings.

It will not display metadata however, just the filename.

Nick

clarkss12
Device ID: 104CBEA5 ;1055A951

Post by clarkss12 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:36 pm

Mediaman wrote:Mike is being rhetorical he knows that those programs do not support copyonce content and that only MS WMC can let Time Warner and most of Charter and Cox users view or record their content. Along with all premium content found on Comcast and Fios. But not for long. I am in picking up the 4 TB DVR, sent a notice to every email address I have. Make this happen people!!!
Grrrrrrrr.... I have been on the fence about changing from my original pledge to the 4TB DVR NAS, but your comment about getting one motivated me to do the same. I can justify it because my Synology NAS is old and not much room left for recordings.

clarkss12
Device ID: 104CBEA5 ;1055A951

Post by clarkss12 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:17 am

I received the WD MYCloud 4 terabyte NAS from the Kickstarter and have been recording all my OTA shows using your DVR software. This morning, as my usual activity, I started to use my computer, and up popped a message that my computer could not communicate with my WD Mycloud NAS. To my horror, the yellow light was on, and I could not access it. I did the normal power down and restart, but did not help. I swapped Ethernet cables with another device that was working OK on my network, still same, yellow light on NAS. After a couple more power downs, it is now initializing device, and that is as far as it gets.

Edit, after about 10 minutes, the NAS finally came alive, and it was like a new install. Apparently, sometime during the night, it did a firmware download on its own (I am only guessing), because now I have an entirely different web interface.

From the web interface it did show a firmware update >> Friday, September 25, 2015 6:19:08 AM << , no advance notice, nothing. Loss of all my recordings flashed through my mind, and made me wonder if the recordings meant enough to warrant the expense of a redundant system of backup, in my case NO. hahaha.

Anyway, everything is back to normal, whew!!! If WD had only asked if I wanted to do an update or at least email me in advance of this happening...

Edit 2: After closer inspection of the Mycloud settings, there is a setting for automatic updates and it was enabled, I disabled it, so hopefully no more surprises.

A continuation of my WD Mycloud woes. For whatever reason, I can't write to the files in the HDHomeRun folder where all my recordings. When I try to change the name of one of my video files (.mpg) I get permission denied. I have tried changing the permissions on that folder but Windows will not let me. I even went to one of my Android boxes and using file explorer, it would not let me change anything either.

So, I need a little help here, please.

Also, I had to run the HDHomeRun setup again to start the HDHomeRun DVR.