SiliconDust Blog (9/9/2014) – Android App

Silicondust Blog
SoNic67

Re: SiliconDust Blog (9/9/2014) – Android App

Post by SoNic67 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:04 pm

jasonl wrote:Amazon finally approved it and the new version is now available.
I got it with my Amazon "Kindle points". Funny thing is that I got some points back for my purchase, so I spend in all only 14 points (some $0.14 ?).
Installed on my Kindle FireHD 8.9" and it works OK. Except any HD channels, my WiFi connection is not capable enough.

jamrcar

Post by jamrcar » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:36 am

Is there anyway to get the HDHomeRun View app to install onto the Fire TV? Or do you have to do some sort of sideload thing? I'm curious as the company I work for is currently evaluating using HDHomerun Prime + FireTV/Android devices. I have tested one android device with the HDHomerun VIEW app and it appeared to work fine for standard definition but had issues with HD. Which is to be expected. I wanted to test out the FireTV and see if it would work with the prime, so my employer bought one and bought the HDHomerun VIEW app from the amazon app store. However, it is not showing up on the FireTV.

Thanks.

Diverge

Post by Diverge » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:27 am

jamrcar wrote:Is there anyway to get the HDHomeRun View app to install onto the Fire TV? Or do you have to do some sort of sideload thing? I'm curious as the company I work for is currently evaluating using HDHomerun Prime + FireTV/Android devices. I have tested one android device with the HDHomerun VIEW app and it appeared to work fine for standard definition but had issues with HD. Which is to be expected. I wanted to test out the FireTV and see if it would work with the prime, so my employer bought one and bought the HDHomerun VIEW app from the amazon app store. However, it is not showing up on the FireTV.

Thanks.
FireTV doesn't do MPEG2. The app can be sideloaded, but HD channels will either all stutter, or seldom work correctly.

jamrcar

Post by jamrcar » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:52 am

Diverge wrote: FireTV doesn't do MPEG2. The app can be sideloaded, but HD channels will either all stutter, or seldom work correctly.
All but i think 2 of our channels are h.264 encoded. So I shouldn't have to worry about the mpeg2 encoding issue.

How do you do the side load? Do you have to grab the apk off of a kindle fire tablet first? If so that is way more complicated and will probably not work for us.

Mediaman
Expert

Post by Mediaman » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:01 pm

Sideloading typically refers to media file transfer to a mobile device via USB, Bluetooth, WiFi or by writing to a memory card for insertion into the mobile device. Until the last fee days Amazon did not have the latest version of the view product on their purchase site. that has changed but it may not be considered available for their device or be recommended? So you would load the program to an SD card from the web and load it to the device.

People have had success sideloading xbmc and playing back HD as far as I can tell on Fire TV. http://www.silicondust.com/forum2/viewt ... 47&t=17056
It takes some work to get this running with a guide list where the View app is a plug and play item.

Who are you with as an SP that is delivering h.264 [location too please]?

jamrcar

Post by jamrcar » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:07 pm

Mediaman wrote:Sideloading typically refers to media file transfer to a mobile device via USB, Bluetooth, WiFi or by writing to a memory card for insertion into the mobile device. Until the last fee days Amazon did not have the latest version of the view product on their purchase site. that has changed but it may not be considered available for their device or be recommended? So you would load the program to an SD card from the web and load it to the device.

People have had success sideloading xbmc and playing back HD as far as I can tell on Fire TV. http://www.silicondust.com/forum2/viewt ... 47&t=17056
It takes some work to get this running with a guide list where the View app is a plug and play item.
Ugh. Ugh ugh ugh. Was hoping for a buy and load solution.
Mediaman wrote: Who are you with as an SP that is delivering h.264 [location too please]?
Rural cable operator out of Rock Port MO. Until recently biggest disadvantage was only being able to use 2 of the 3 tuners, however Nickk worked out the bug with that and I now get all 3 tuners. Which is great since I got a 2nd prime a while ago to get access to 3+ tuners, now I have 6 :D. Biggest advantage is we are not a part of a big company like time warner/suddenlink/cox etc.

Mediaman
Expert

Post by Mediaman » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:19 am

Well kind of your lucky day maybe as you might be one of the few that this device was made for... its the new nexus smart TV box that is supposed to be available soon. It is designed on the new android TV standard which requires that the builder include mpeg2 capability. Why I say lucky is because you are in a situation where this box might actually be ideal for just viewing and it would use the HDHomerun View app; very simple to set up [and the new beta include controls that the device has as a Bluetooth remote]. Why I could not recommend it to others is that it is wireless. With your source being h.264 you would be able to view all content with the app which has a nice built in guide and DTCP-IP for any copyonce content. http://www.google.com/nexus/player/ Should know cost tomorrow when pre order opens. Might need an ac capable router? You just might be ahead of your time? 8-)

There is one question that Silicondust would have to answer. Would the View app allow HD content delivery via the prime if it's h.264 already? This in essence is what a TC prime version should be capable of doing as evidenced by what the dual TC is doing. In the past SD has tested the View app with nexus tablets so I expect it will work well on this device and there probably be upgrades to the software over time too.

Diverge

Post by Diverge » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:04 am

Mediaman wrote:... http://www.google.com/nexus/player/ Should know cost tomorrow when pre order opens. ...
The cost is supposed to be $99 https://sites.google.com/a/pressatgoogl ... exusplayer

mike_ekim

Post by mike_ekim » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:44 am

Mediaman wrote: There is one question that Silicondust would have to answer. Would the View app allow HD content delivery via the prime if it's h.264 already?
I don't see why not. The Prime will send out content in whatever format it receives, i.e. it's just a tuner. So if the View app requests a HD station that happens to be broadcast in H.264 by the provider, then the Prime will send that H.264 format to View app.

bhl62

Post by bhl62 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:56 am

That does look interesting for 100 bucks and if it supports MPEG2 natively then the prime would work fine even on cable networks that haven't switched to H.264. To replace a cable box though, it would need an app with a decent EPG on top of the HDHomeRun View functionality to get over the 'WAF' hurdles. Ideally a new app from SD or a single box option from XBMC/Kodi.

Diverge

Post by Diverge » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:25 am

bhl62 wrote:That does look interesting for 100 bucks and if it supports MPEG2 natively then the prime would work fine even on cable networks that haven't switched to H.264. To replace a cable box though, it would need an app with a decent EPG on top of the HDHomeRun View functionality to get over the 'WAF' hurdles. Ideally a new app from SD or a single box option from XBMC/Kodi.
Both SD's Android TV TVinput app, and their Homerun View app have EPG data. It could use some work though, maybe options to turn off thumbnails of what's on each channel, as when it's loading that info it lags out the applications.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:00 am

bhl62 wrote:That does look interesting for 100 bucks and if it supports MPEG2 natively then the prime would work fine even on cable networks that haven't switched to H.264. To replace a cable box though, it would need an app with a decent EPG on top of the HDHomeRun View functionality to get over the 'WAF' hurdles. Ideally a new app from SD or a single box option from XBMC/Kodi.
The problem is it is wifi only and "live" HD mpeg2 streams on wifi usually don't work well (AC might help but not for everyone) I would never purchase a device meant to go "permanently" on the main tv that is wifi only. Usually since h.264 streams are about half the data, streaming live tv has a better chance over wifi but still may have issues. Streaming existing files is not a problem as errors are corrected (resent) before it becomes an issue.

Mediaman
Expert

Post by Mediaman » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:37 am

signcarver wrote:
The problem is it is wifi only and "live" HD mpeg2 streams on wifi usually don't work well (AC might help but not for everyone) I would never purchase a device meant to go "permanently" on the main tv that is wifi only. Usually since h.264 streams are about half the data, streaming live tv has a better chance over wifi but still may have issues. Streaming existing files is not a problem as errors are corrected (resent) before it becomes an issue.
And that is why I say he is lucky in a sense. But the View app when used with a prime will not play HD for the reasons you mention it is locked into that configuration. That is a bit of a catch 22 for the OP's use that would need to be addressed in the software or possibly firmware for the prime if it has not already? There should be another of these devices coming to market before xmas, hopefully it will have a nic so the rest of us can be a bit excited.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:08 pm

but bhl62 had no indication his channels were h.264 and also implied they were mpeg2 (unless I missed it) as the person who had "all" h.264 channels was jamrcar which is why you actually "recommended" the nexus player as a possibility where I really don't think it is for anyone else even with native hardware mpeg2 support, wireless won't really cut it.

Mediaman
Expert

Post by Mediaman » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:25 pm

signcarver wrote:but bhl62 had no indication his channels were h.264 and also implied they were mpeg2 (unless I missed it) as the person who had "all" h.264 channels was jamrcar which is why you actually "recommended" the nexus player as a possibility where I really don't think it is for anyone else even with native hardware mpeg2 support, wireless won't really cut it.
Agreed, I think that is the point were both trying to make here is that the OP's unique situation makes this a possible resolution but not ideal for others with regular mpeg2 streams. With a question mark on access to HD streams still probable with a prime using View app even if the stream is mpeg2 h.264. Just another baby step towards new access devices and interfacing with them.