SiliconDust Blog (9/9/2014) – Android App

Silicondust Blog
eddyk
Silicondust

SiliconDust Blog (9/9/2014) – Android App

Post by eddyk » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:51 pm

Okay, it's a little late but here it is.

HDHomeRun VIEW
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... upnp&hl=en

Version 20140905
• UI changes
• EPG data: Channel logos, what's on now image, what's on next (text)
• Support for non-touch devices
• Improved search feature
• Improved HDHomeRun device discovery
• Bug fixes

If you're having problems with protected content try the latest beta release firmware.
http://www.silicondust.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=2484

Please read the descriptions before purchasing. Requires an HDHomeRun PRIME or GEN4 HDHomeRun.

Mediaman
Expert

Re: SiliconDust Blog (9/9/2014) – Android App

Post by Mediaman » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:14 pm

Thanks for the notice; just loaded the new beta 20140909 {prime} which appears to have some potentially needed updates and will go play!

mike_ekim

Post by mike_ekim » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:25 am

eddyk wrote: • Support for non-touch devices
Does the app now have everything needed to support AndroidTV? Just curious. :)

Diverge

Post by Diverge » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:34 pm

Thanks for the update!!!

I can't believe I missed this yesterday, since I usually check the site every day or so... I was gonna post to ask when it was coming but didn't want to be annoying :mrgreen:

edit: In the Play store it's listed as not compatible with the ADT-1. When I get home in 25 minutes I'll be sideloading it. Is there anyway that can be updated so it's listed as compatible, or does it lack the leanback manifest entries?

edit2: No leanback manifests, so it doesn't show on the homepage (i'll try to decompile the apk and add them - worked for other apps I tried). But it works great and plays copy-once drm HD channels :) The new non-touch UI has some quirks, but is usable - more so with a keyboard/touchpad than the controller of the ADT-1. I'm really happy you guys released it though, I can now retire my xbox 360 and windows media center VM :mrgreen:

edit3: successfully modded to show on Android TV homescreen. The following needs to be added to the manifest:

Code: Select all

<intent-filter>
                <action android:name="android.intent.action.MAIN"/>
                <category android:name="android.intent.category.LEANBACK_LAUNCHER"/>
            </intent-filter>

jay92

Post by jay92 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:59 pm

Great! Is there any chance that you guys will add Chromecast support?

eddyk
Silicondust

Post by eddyk » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:37 pm

jay92 wrote:Great! Is there any chance that you guys will add Chromecast support?
If Chromecast supports MPEG2.ts then yes. But currently it does not.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:50 pm

eddyk wrote:
jay92 wrote:Great! Is there any chance that you guys will add Chromecast support?
While the chip used in the Chromecast is apparently MPEG2 decode capable, Google has apparently not licensed the codec, so first step would be they would have to license the codec. But even with Chromecasts 802.11n WiFi, streaming 1080i MPEG2.ts is close to the edge of usability in real world WiFi environments (so I suspect that Google is not interested in enabling a bad experience). The transcoding HDHR devices (to H.264 and lower bandwidth) might be viable. Hardwired Android TV devices (such as the ADT-1 and the eventual real commercial products from Asus and Razer and various TVs) that can also do MPEG2 should be cast-able (from an engineering perspective). I have no idea if SD will include the capability in future revisions. Android users can hope and dream.

eddyk
Silicondust

Post by eddyk » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:35 am

gtb wrote:
eddyk wrote:
While the chip used in the Chromecast is apparently MPEG2 decode capable, Google has apparently not licensed the codec, so first step would be they would have to license the codec. But even with Chromecasts 802.11n WiFi, streaming 1080i MPEG2.ts is close to the edge of usability in real world WiFi environments (so I suspect that Google is not interested in enabling a bad experience). The transcoding HDHR devices (to H.264 and lower bandwidth) might be viable. Hardwired Android TV devices (such as the ADT-1 and the eventual real commercial products from Asus and Razer and various TVs) that can also do MPEG2 should be cast-able (from an engineering perspective). I have no idea if SD will include the capability in future revisions. Android users can hope and dream.
Yes, you're correct, I believe the SoC does support MPEG2 but is not licensed by Google. Even if it did support MPEG2, Chromecast still does NOT support transport streams. It requires HLS or MPEG-DASH which works well for a finite stream but no so well for an infinite live stream.

Diverge

Post by Diverge » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:56 am

I also sideloaded the app onto my FireTV, and it works, but it gets video stuttering pretty often regardless if it's a wired or wireless connection. Plays great on my ADT-1 though. Would that be because the FireTV lacks MPEG2?

bhl62

Post by bhl62 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:53 am

Do you have a schedule on when this update will be live on the Amazon AppStore? That's site is still on the March release.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:00 pm

No. It was submitted to Amazon at the same time it was submitted to Google. It will be live whenever Amazon gets their stuff together and approves it. Happens every time we update - they don't seem to understand the concept of an app that requires separate hardware to function.

chrisdfw

Post by chrisdfw » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:30 pm

Any chance of you using the new Android run time to port it Chrome?

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:38 am

Amazon finally approved it and the new version is now available.

bhl62

Post by bhl62 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:09 am

Thanks for the update. I've updated and it did fix the bug I was seeing.

Just for the record, what was happening was that once Verizon turned on Voice Over LTE ('HD calling") the 4G adapter does not get disabled when connected to Wifi although no data traffic is routed over it. Once that VZW update was pushed out (I have a Samung S5), Homerun View wasn't able to locate my Prime on the LAN unless I explicitly turned off Mobile data and forced the 4G adapter to disable. This update does the right thing so life's good!

To be a bit nit-pickey, the zoom icon on the old interface was more intuitive than the two headed arrow on this interface. I expected it to be a way to scroll through channels and only clicked on it when I couldn't find any other way to zoom the screen and decided to click everything I saw.

mikeb
Expert

Post by mikeb » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:24 am

bhl62 wrote:To be a bit nit-pickey, the zoom icon on the old interface was more intuitive than the two headed arrow on this interface.
It was changed to differentiate it from a fullscreen icon for platforms in which the app can run in a window.