Silicondust Blog (10/25/13) - Nick

Silicondust Blog
nickk
Silicondust
Posts: 15513
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:39 am

Silicondust Blog (10/25/13) - Nick

Post by nickk » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:30 am

Wow this has been a busy month with HDTC-2US RTM and STV2-2US RTM.

Model number update - We have dropped the "4" from the HDTC model prefix for the transcode models. HDHR4 for 4th gen non-transocde, HDTC for transcode.

HDTC-2US is now officially open for pre-orders on NewEgg with delivery December 12th.

HDTC-2EU (2 tuner DVB-T2/DVB-T/DVB-C with transcode) is in the pipeline.

If you have a HDHR3-CC we have a new channel favorites feature coming up to make DLNA more friendly. It will be released as a firmware upgrade.

SoNic67
Posts: 149
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:15 pm

Re: Silicondust Blog (10/25/13) - Nick

Post by SoNic67 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:05 am

Awesome!

edgerley
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:50 pm

Re: Silicondust Blog (10/25/13) - Nick

Post by edgerley » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:26 pm

when will this new feature be available?

dgalvan
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:15 am

Re: Silicondust Blog (10/25/13) - Nick

Post by dgalvan » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:26 pm

Fantastic!

Any idea if the HDTC-2US will work with EyeTV on the mac?

(ie: can EyeTV accept and record from h.264 streaming video, in addition to the mpeg-2 streaming video it already works with?)

Scott
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 5:05 am

Re: Silicondust Blog (10/25/13) - Nick

Post by Scott » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:53 am

So no cable card version this year? And only 2 tuners? Disappointed.

4jb
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:32 pm

Re: Silicondust Blog (10/25/13) - Nick

Post by 4jb » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:58 pm

Scott wrote:So no cable card version this year? And only 2 tuners? Disappointed.
Seriously?! I guess you can't please everyone?

Not sure what you're expecting, but this is simply the transcoded replacement/upgrade for the current dual tuner.

They already advertised the 4 tuner/CCard upgrade would be released after the dual tuner, in Q1 2014.

I'm sure you will find something wrong with that one too... probably the price if I had to guess. I bet they would have to just give you one to truly make you happy. However, you may still find something disappointing about that too...

Scott
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 5:05 am

Re: Silicondust Blog (10/25/13) - Nick

Post by Scott » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:53 pm

4jb, I really like my HDHomeRun Prime. I've been anxiously awaiting the transcoding version since it was first announced at the beginning of this year. A long time has passed, they missed that date, and we still don't have any official information as to if/when a transcoding 4-tuner cablecard device will be released. I appreciate that there's a lot of hard work involved, and I don't want to direct my frustration at the fine people at SiliconDust who participate here and probably have their hands' tied in regards to what they can/cannot talk about in these forums. But the fact of the matter is that a long time has passed and little new info has been revealed. This new device that is being offered, is a far cry from what many of us want/need, and even this device is being released practically silently. The marketing job here is pretty poor.

I'll just add that **** is now offering a device that is very competitive to the Windows Server / Windows w/WMC / SiliconDust HDHomeRun PRIME option. Heck, even the stagnant cable companies are finally working on new boxes/software that isn't as horrid as before and will offer options like watching shows on your iPad. The window is closing. It would be nice if SiliconDust could provide some more concrete info as to when they'll have a 3-tuner (or better) w/transcoding cablecard solution available for purchase.

boggy4062
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: Silicondust Blog (10/25/13) - Nick

Post by boggy4062 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:41 pm

nickk wrote:Wow this has been a busy month with HDTC-2US RTM and STV2-2US RTM.

Model number update - We have dropped the "4" from the HDTC model prefix for the transcode models. HDHR4 for 4th gen non-transocde, HDTC for transcode.

HDTC-2US is now officially open for pre-orders on NewEgg with delivery December 12th.

HDTC-2EU (2 tuner DVB-T2/DVB-T/DVB-C with transcode) is in the pipeline.

If you have a HDHR3-CC we have a new channel favorites feature coming up to make DLNA more friendly. It will be released as a firmware upgrade.
OK... Are you guys planning on some kind of instructional video showing possible connectivity for those of use who are newbies in the area transcoding/decoding...etc. HOW does it help users with iPad, Android tablet,etc...? How will we consume the new H.264 streams.

I already own 2 of you OTA units, and would be more than happy to buy another one, but.. what does the new $170 unit buy me that $80 doesn't already have?

Thanks.

bethesdageek
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:30 am

Re: Silicondust Blog (10/25/13) - Nick

Post by bethesdageek » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:45 am

nickk wrote:Wow this has been a busy month with HDTC-2US RTM and STV2-2US RTM.

Model number update - We have dropped the "4" from the HDTC model prefix for the transcode models. HDHR4 for 4th gen non-transocde, HDTC for transcode.

HDTC-2US is now officially open for pre-orders on NewEgg with delivery December 12th.

HDTC-2EU (2 tuner DVB-T2/DVB-T/DVB-C with transcode) is in the pipeline.

If you have a HDHR3-CC we have a new channel favorites feature coming up to make DLNA more friendly. It will be released as a firmware upgrade.
Hi, I installed the latest beta firmware for the hdhomerun prime which is hdhomerun3_cablecard_firmware_20131126beta1. I installed it primarily because of the new favorites feature. However, the favorites only show up on quicktv. When I click favorites instead of channels from VLC or my sony dlna enabled blu ray player, I just get an error message or it displays "channels", not "favorites". Was it only meant to be operational with quicktv?

Nonetheless, congrats on a great product. I am awaiting the H.264 transcoding version.

Peter

nickk
Silicondust
Posts: 15513
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:39 am

Re: Silicondust Blog (10/25/13) - Nick

Post by nickk » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:07 pm

bethesdageek wrote:Hi, I installed the latest beta firmware for the hdhomerun prime which is hdhomerun3_cablecard_firmware_20131126beta1. I installed it primarily because of the new favorites feature. However, the favorites only show up on quicktv. When I click favorites instead of channels from VLC or my sony dlna enabled blu ray player, I just get an error message or it displays "channels", not "favorites". Was it only meant to be operational with quicktv?
Hi Peter,

You should see two DLNA folders - Favorites and Channels.
The channels folder contains all the channels you subscribe to.
The favorites folder contains the all the channels you marked as favorite on the lineup webpage on the HDHomeRun device.

Nick

johnwillsey
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:25 pm

Re: Silicondust Blog (10/25/13) - Nick

Post by johnwillsey » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:11 pm

I could use some assistance/clarification with all the new goodies...

Hi, I am an original silicon dust HD Homerun owner, which after many years, died last week. I picked up a 1 tuner Simple.TV and also picked up a HD HomeRun Prime 3 tuner/cable card box which I have not unboxed that was going to replace the old hd Homerun, both thanks to woot last week.

I also have the new HD Homerun transcoder on pre-order from newegg.
I also have the new 2 tuner simple.tv on pre-order from newegg.

Can the 1 tuner simple.TV leverage additional tuners? which?

I'm trying to figure out, which tuners can work together as one system, and do any of them work with either the 1 or 2 tuner simple.tv.

Also, if I keep the 2 tuner simple.tv on order, will it integrate with the 1 tuner or either hdhomerun, or does it operate as a seperate entity?

I'd love to have one DVR interface, but leverage a 3 tuner prime box with cable card, or better yet a transcoder unit (with cable card it that exists).

Thanks

Online
Mediaman
Expert
Posts: 8335
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:11 pm
Location: Olympia, WA

Re: Silicondust Blog (10/25/13) - Nick

Post by Mediaman » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:36 pm

johnwillsey wrote:I could use some assistance/clarification with all the new goodies...

Hi, I am an original silicon dust HD Homerun owner, which after many years, died last week. I picked up a 1 tuner Simple.TV and also picked up a HD HomeRun Prime 3 tuner/cable card box which I have not unboxed that was going to replace the old hd Homerun, both thanks to woot last week.

I also have the new HD Homerun transcoder on pre-order from newegg.
I also have the new 2 tuner simple.tv on pre-order from newegg.

Can the 1 tuner simple.TV leverage additional tuners? which?

I'm trying to figure out, which tuners can work together as one system, and do any of them work with either the 1 or 2 tuner simple.tv.
The new Simple.TV tuner is a proprietary system that incorporates some of SD's technology and is manufactured by SD for them. Unfortunately it is not compatible with other systems on the market; OCUR , OTA or clearQAM tuners.
Also, if I keep the 2 tuner simple.tv on order, will it integrate with the 1 tuner or either hdhomerun, or does it operate as a seperate entity?

I'd love to have one DVR interface, but leverage a 3 tuner prime box with cable card, or better yet a transcoder unit (with cable card it that exists).

Thanks
W7 WMC, NextPVR are two software's that can be used depending on service provider use of copyonce digital rights management [WMC will do it, nextPVR will not]. At this time there is no date set for when the TC prime will be out. Speculation is late Q1 to Q2.

johnwillsey
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:25 pm

Re: Silicondust Blog (10/25/13) - Nick

Post by johnwillsey » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:45 pm

Thanks. That then would lead to this...

If I use the two tuner simple.tv from SiliconDust, will it be able to leverage the existing 3 tuner prime to let me have 5 tuners via simpleTV DVR interface? Second, if I put the cablecard it, could I view/record HBO via simpleTV?

Online
Mediaman
Expert
Posts: 8335
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:11 pm
Location: Olympia, WA

Re: Silicondust Blog (10/25/13) - Nick

Post by Mediaman » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:09 pm

johnwillsey wrote:Thanks. That then would lead to this...

If I use the two tuner simple.tv from SiliconDust, will it be able to leverage the existing 3 tuner prime to let me have 5 tuners via simpleTV DVR interface? Second, if I put the cablecard it, could I view/record HBO via simpleTV?
Sorry if I gave you that impression but no and no. They will not work together on simple.TV platform. Wish it did I would buy it. Only simple.TV products work on their system which does not have a digital rights management decoder either so they could not playback HBO in the manner WMC can. HBO and Max are the only two channels I can guarantee are set to copyonce by all cable service providers.

johnwillsey
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:25 pm

Re: Silicondust Blog (10/25/13) - Nick

Post by johnwillsey » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:25 pm

I think I'm getting it.... Sounds like the Simple.TV is for users who want an off the Shelf DVR, and the new transcoder line of products will be for the do it yourselfers build your own MythTV/SageTV/WMC/etc crew and the two won't mix..

Or could I take an build your own platform and control a simple.TV tuner.. That would enable essentially a dual DVR setup.. the novice version via browser/ipad/etc and the advance MediaPC Interface, but all leverage/fight over the same tuner(s).

Post Reply