ATSC 3.0 WTTK (RF15) Indianapolis, IN

ATSC 3.0 Forum
jasonl
Expert

Re: ATSC 3.0 WTTK (RF15) Indianapolis, IN

Post by jasonl »

The maximum of 0.5% interference to another station's population is specified in 47 CFR § 73.616. I'm not sure where 2% comes in.

Trip

Post by Trip »

The 0.5% is relative to a station's baseline facility. Each station has a baseline allotment, set to the facilities protected in the repack process. (That's the row that says WTTK D15 DT BL, and is the "before" case.) Stations can cause up to 0.5% new interference above any interference already present in the baseline.

0.5% is the limit for full-power into Class A interference. 2% is the LPTV limit, which applies when Class A stations impact other LPTVs.

And every scenario must be tested to determine the worst case. The station attached the verbose rather than the summary output.

- Trip

sdust

Post by sdust »

Where does the 1.80 in the Percent column come from in the section of this verbose report I posted earlier?

Trip

Post by Trip »

Same calculation, just with area numbers instead of population.

- Trip

WRTV_Fish

Post by WRTV_Fish »

I had written about why does the audio not work?
But then I went looking and found my answer.

Scooter Scott

Post by Scooter Scott »

I just ordered the Flex 4K so I could test this out as well. I'm in McCordsville.

NatHillIV

Post by NatHillIV »

Here's what will work (including audio from both speakers). Windows 10 and the HDHomeRun app. Firestick 4K. That's all I've found that works perfectly.
Emby not so good, Roku horrible.
Your mileage may vary.
I live in Bloomington, and had some trouble with a LPTF channel 15 in Martinsville, but it's all working perfectly now. You will like it!

Scooter Scott

Post by Scooter Scott »

So I tested this last night. My Flex is running through ChannelsDVR but was direct playing on my ATV4K. ABC, CBS and NBC were all playing at 1920x1080 60FPS. FOX was still at 1280x720. Tuning to each station was fast. I'll keep playing around with it.

NatHillIV

Post by NatHillIV »

Well, somebody has to ask a foolish question. Might as well be me. What is a Flex tuner, and what is Channels. So many options I haven't even heard of.
And, did you get sound on them? If so, you're very fortunate.

NatHillIV

Post by NatHillIV »

A mind is a terrible thing to lose. I own one of those tuners!
I think (maybe I'm hoping) it had a different name when I bought it.
Channels looks very interesting.
THANKS for helping an old man!

stlocin

Post by stlocin »

I recently purchased the 4K Flex tuner to test out ATSC 3.0 broadcast. Like many others, I was able to receive video but no audio. Regardless, I had a question about the video resolution.

The resolution on the Indy ATSC 3.0 broadcasts I tested were either 1920 x 1080 or 1280 x 720.

If the ATSC 1.0 broadcast equivalent is at the same resolution, is there any advantage to ATSC 3.0, at least until the broadcast comes through at a higher (4K) resolution?

NatHillIV

Post by NatHillIV »

It may be the placebo effect, but to my eyes the video from WTTK's (RF15) ATSC 3.0 signals looks just a tad sharper than the same shows transmitted on ATSC 1.0.
Would be interested what other folks see (or think they see) in a head-to-head comparison.
And, it's four signals crammed into one frequency.
I don't see any GREAT advantage right now, but I watch the ATSC 3.0 version when I can.
Future advantages? Nothing earth shaking right now, but the proponents of ATSC 3.0 can give all sorts of fabulous uses for the future. We'll see. Auto firmware updates, self driving cars, pay TV, targeted advertising, who knows ? I personally think a whole lot of money is being spent on a very unrealistic scheme, sort of like stereo AM radio, HD radio, etc. Only us pioneers (with arrows in our back) are even fooling with it right now. I think they have got to get the audio issues out of the way quickly.
I personally doubt 4K will ever come about. Too much bandwidth for very little picture quality improvement.
disclaimer: I am NOT an expert, nor do I work in the industry.

stlocin

Post by stlocin »

I was thinking the same, that the ATSC 3.0 picture quality was better but I don't know why since the resolution was the same as ATSC 1.0. Could be related to frame rate or something along those lines?

I may return my 4K Flex because it seem as though this is going to lead to a lot of headaches.

If there was a proven solution I could implement w/i reason, I am willing to give it a try, but as of know I really don't know what the path is to get ATSC 3.0 working. It seems like some folks got it working, but many others are having issues.

stlocin

Post by stlocin »

Just a quick update. I compared ATSC 1.0 and ATSC 3.0 with Thursday Night Football last night. There was a clear difference in the quality. ATSC 3.0 was cleaner with less digital artifacts.

I was using HDHomeRun app. Does any know if there is a way to get stats on playback through HDHomeRun?