What's next for ATSC 3.0?

ATSC 3.0 Forum
timeshifter

What's next for ATSC 3.0?

Post by timeshifter »

I'm in the Salt Lake City market. The beginning of July will be one year since ATSC 3.0 broadcasts started on four stations here. Two stations are still broadcasting in 1080i (1920x540). On one of those stations the audio is consistently out of sync. On another station the bitrate is really low. Nothing is really "better" than ATSC 1.0 other than the signal quality. It "seems" like the broadcasters here flipped the switch on ATSC 3.0 in some test capacity, and haven't done anything since. I'm sure there are things going on behind the scenes. But, is there something the broadcasters are waiting for before they start to really focus ATSC 3.0? Studio equipment upgrades? More customers with ATSC 3.0 tuners?

xmguy
Device ID: 10815046, 1037F17E

Re: What's next for ATSC 3.0?

Post by xmguy »

timeshifter wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:39 pm I'm in the Salt Lake City market. The beginning of July will be one year since ATSC 3.0 broadcasts started on four stations here. Two stations are still broadcasting in 1080i (1920x540). On one of those stations the audio is consistently out of sync. On another station the bitrate is really low. Nothing is really "better" than ATSC 1.0 other than the signal quality. It "seems" like the broadcasters here flipped the switch on ATSC 3.0 in some test capacity, and haven't done anything since. I'm sure there are things going on behind the scenes. But, is there something the broadcasters are waiting for before they start to really focus ATSC 3.0? Studio equipment upgrades? More customers with ATSC 3.0 tuners?
ATSC 3.0 is still in its testing period. Right now stations are doing it more as a show of; "look what we can do". That's why stations are lighthousing, and there are issues. Most markets aren't even online yet.