since new updates not compatible with router

ATSC 3.0 Forum
spooner1

since new updates not compatible with router

Post by spooner1 »

for over a week now when you activate the record part of the dvr on hdhomerun it would interfer with all the canadian channels making them unwatchable on the hdhomerun app. it would work great if you watch the same channels on the channels app. found out that it not compatible with my dd-wrt router. last night i decided to go through my internet company router instead and every worked as it was suppose to. now i can watch the canadian channels on the hdhomerun app with no problem and record too. so if anyone else is having a problem like that for the dd-wrt router as hdhomerun doesn't work right on it

nickk
Silicondust

Re: since new updates not compatible with router

Post by nickk »

That doesn't make any sense.

It you post the Device ID of your HDHomeRun I can look up any diagnostic logs.

Also what are you using for recordings?

Nick

spooner1

Post by spooner1 »

my two device ids are 10813ED6 and 1072934A and i use windows 10 computer to record them on .the router i was using is asus ac1900 dual band router that has dd-wrt on it. funny thing is when i stopped using that router and went straight through with the modem from my provider everything works as it suppose to. when i was on that router if i turned of the drv function no matter what firmware that was used it played all channels the way it was suppose to but when i reactivated the dvr the canadian channels would get screwed up.the worst channel would be my 3 local channels which are 11.1 chch yes tv 14.1 and ctv2 35.1 also the app is on my two second gen 4k fire cube. and both of them reacted the same way with the router.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

The Canadian broadcasts (mostly) don't have subchannels and therefore broadcast at a much higher data rate than US broadcasts. If you've got a network or disk performance issue, that difference might be enough to cause issues.

Is your router supported by the Asuswrt-Merlin firmware? That's by far the best option for any Asus router it works with. I have used an AC68U with Merlin for years and have never had issues with it.

spooner1

Post by spooner1 »

thanks jasonl my router allowed me to upgrade to merlin firmware and now my router works great with hdhomerun with my hdr activated .thanks again your are a great help

TimodReynolds

Post by TimodReynolds »

I'm actually having the same or a similar issue. My asus router seems to be causing some communication issue between my DVR and one of my tuners (but not both for some reason? ) . And it didn't used to be this way, but I did upgrade to an asus ax 86u recently and I can't be 100%sure it's not the cause or if a firmware update is part of the issue.

Regarding my tuners I can access them both at their ip addresses and to my untrained eye they appear to be fine (both tuners working with channels found). The DVR finds them both but says it doesn't recognize one of them and that it has 0 channels (which isn't the case). I'm not really interested in changing the router firmware at this point. What kind of settings in my router might be having these effects?

1080A7AB
104505F8

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

The only thing I can think of that would cause one to work but not the other would be an IP conflict, typically because you have something on the network set to a static IP and the router is assigning the same IP to the HDHomeRun. Best to either leave everything DHCP and set up reservations in your router for devices you want to keep the same IP, or assign static IPs in one part of your LAN subnet (e.g. last octet < 100) and set your DHCP server to assign IPs outside that range, e.g. .100 through .254.