Flex 4K

ATSC 3.0 Forum
belgiangenius

Re: Flex 4K

Post by belgiangenius »

I bought one of these.

I live near Buffalo NY and just bought the 4K connect device. Buffalo has all 5 major networks live with ATSC 3.0 broadcasts.

But, it won't tune ATSC 3.0.

Any of the ATSC channels just give me "Unable to play channel: No video data".

I was planning on using this with Plex DVR, but it also says it can't tune those channels.

The ATSC 1.0 versions of the same stations work fine.

Is my unit defective or am I missing something?

ronintexas
Device ID: 10807D4D

Post by ronintexas »

Even though the stations may be "live" with the broadcast signal, they may not be transmitting all the channels. Austin, TX was one of the first to "go live", but it was probably 6 months before all 4 of the channels came in consistently (CBS, CW, MyTV & NBC). Recently (within the last 30 days), the local FOX station started broadcasting (FOX & 3 spanish stations), but rarely is there any "video signal" available. I am not sure why they have the channel "live", but no video signal...but that is what we are getting in Austin...

BTW - all of the ATSC 3.0 channels in Austin are simple rebroadcasts of the ATSC 1.0 channels - 1080/720 video.

MrDoh

Post by MrDoh »

Trying to find out if the Flex 4K is supported by the Roku HD app, and if there's support for it on Apple's tvOS as well as support on the NVIDIA Shield? We have all of these currently, and I want to be sure that there's support for them all before I buy one of these (duh *smile*).

Replacing a Tablo that's gotten a bit flaky...and the Flex 4K looks like an interesting box. Especially since the USB disk attachment has been added, as well as the ATSC 3.0, of course *smile*.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

The tuners all support the legacy methods and newer tuners (since 3rd gen prime but not 3rd gen dual, and 4th gen connect and later) support the modern methods. In addition the scribes and flex tuners support accessing them as a recording engine. The roku "app" requires a modern tuner (not legacy) which the Flex is. Some roku's may not like the ATSC 3 streams but my understanding the latest roku devices with the latest upgrades have fixed most of that but when it comes to the roku it is up to the roku if it plays the stream (and in some cases the TV/AVR it is attached to).

Keep in mind that to use a drive attached to the flex, it only serves SD's HDHomeRun DVR content and to record one would have to have a subscription but it should serve such content without a subscription and act as a buffer for live tv if accessed as a record engine (rather than normal legacy/modern methods of tuning).

SD does have a more limited AppleTV version of the HDHomeRun app (some will even say it doesn't offer recording capability but that is not as intuitive for some) that will work (though may require a recent model from the past few years as I think the minimum is tvOS 13) and the Shield being an AndroidTV device will also work with it using SD's HDHomeRun app. Any other app that usually works well with SD's tuners will also work with the Flex as the tuning methods are the same, but those other apps may not use the Recording Engine aspect of the device as typically those apps are tied to their own recording environments and don't support SD's recording engine.

MrDoh

Post by MrDoh »

signcarver wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:35 pm The tuners all support the legacy methods and newer tuners (since 3rd gen prime but not 3rd gen dual, and 4th gen connect and later) support the modern methods. In addition the scribes and flex tuners support accessing them as a recording engine. The roku "app" requires a modern tuner (not legacy) which the Flex is. Some roku's may not like the ATSC 3 streams but my understanding the latest roku devices with the latest upgrades have fixed most of that but when it comes to the roku it is up to the roku if it plays the stream (and in some cases the TV/AVR it is attached to).

Keep in mind that to use a drive attached to the flex, it only serves SD's HDHomeRun DVR content and to record one would have to have a subscription but it should serve such content without a subscription and act as a buffer for live tv if accessed as a record engine (rather than normal legacy/modern methods of tuning).

SD does have a more limited AppleTV version of the HDHomeRun app (some will even say it doesn't offer recording capability but that is not as intuitive for some) that will work (though may require a recent model from the past few years as I think the minimum is tvOS 13) and the Shield being an AndroidTV device will also work with it using SD's HDHomeRun app. Any other app that usually works well with SD's tuners will also work with the Flex as the tuning methods are the same, but those other apps may not use the Recording Engine aspect of the device as typically those apps are tied to their own recording environments and don't support SD's recording engine.
Interesting reply, thanks.

Yes, I do need to be able to do DVR recording, and am familiar with the need for a subscription, that's fine. Not worried about the Roku and ATSC 3.0 at the moment, ATSC 3.0 isn't there in our area yet anyways. As long as the Roku can do streaming TV from the Flex 4K, and play DVR recordings, we're good with that one. It isn't clear from your reply whether you can use the DVR for recording on the Apple tvOS (version 14.6) or not, "some will even say that it doesn't offer" doesn't say to me one way or the other, whether I'll be able to record using our Apple TV streaming box.

It sounds like the HD app on the NVIDIA Shield is fully functional, both playing and recording.

Anyways, my main concerns with the Roku are streaming TV and playing DVR recordings. The same with the Apple TV streaming box and the NVIDIA Shield, although I need both of them to be able to also schedule and make DVR recordings, assuming that I have a subscription. Seems kind of sketchy out there, but I'm hoping that all of these work with the HD apps on those platforms.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

I don't know how familiar you are with SD's app and tuners. As you joined awhile ago so assume you are familiar with the tuners but have only have a couple of posts in the past few months (this topic) and your other 10 posts or so are long gone. My understanding that on the AppleTV one would use discover to set up a recording (personally I usually use my own web page to set up recordings and rarely do it with the app). It does not show "tasks" (to manage your recording rules) or have a record button in the normal live view. When the app first came out didn't support the DVR aspects so many I think assumed it is still lacking when it comes up to setting up recordings and the posts about such now being included are long gone. A recent post was "here" that talks about the "lack" of recording features but it does support such.

MrDoh

Post by MrDoh »

Yes, I joined after getting a Connect Quatro back in the day. Had a lot of trouble with it, hard to tell if it was my network or the Connect, but since it didn't have the ability to make recordings available to all our TV's without the use of a NAS, or work with the Roku, stopped playing with it. Not before I got it working and used it on and off, though. Got a Tablo, and found that more suitable for me, but after three years that's getting flaky. The Flex 4K caught my eye when I noticed that not only does Roku now have an HD app, but Silicon Dust finally put a USB port on it for a USB disk. And the current product lineup includes ATSC 3.0, which looks to be a useful feature for the future as well.

I'm the type that will want to use the Silicon Dust HD apps, so that's why I'm trying to verify their usefulness for the hardware that I have here. Not successfully yet, but I still have hopes *smile*. I might try Silicon Dust support tomorrow and see if I can get anything useful out of them.

Thanks.

JDazell

Post by JDazell »

**** Caveat ****

Just in case you have not read the threads on using ROKU with HD tuners ... ROKU does not have a stellar record of fully supporting Live TV streams. If you are not familiar, I strongly suggest that you search this forum for ROKU.

kyl416
Device ID: 1080DB11

Post by kyl416 »

Yeah, basically Roku's MPEG-2 decoder expects a perfect quality stream, in the real world with broadcasting it's not the case, so playback halts anytime error correction would kick in on marginal signals or during windy weather. Most models also don't natively decode AC-3/Dolby Digital, so if your TV only accepts PCM audio over HDMI, you won't have audio.

JHL

Post by JHL »

I just upgraded my HDHomerun to a Flex 4K. The process was simple and I can see the channels with the HDHomerun app.

I primarily use JRiver Media Center for watching TV. Is the electronic program guide information still imbedded in the data stream?
Do I need to start subscribing to the Silicon Dust program guide instead?