Connect 4K Channel Detection

ATSC 3.0 Forum
elvisimprsntr

Connect 4K Channel Detection

Post by elvisimprsntr »

BACGKROUND

I have both an Extended Connect 4K connected to the same amplified antenna in the same room.

My ATSC TVs are also connected to the same antenna.

Antenna -> Quad RF cable to junction box -> amplifier/splitter -> Quad RF cable to each room/device.

Extend detects 47 channels
Connect 4K detects only 41 channels

They are mostly alternative language and shopping channels, which I don't care about.

QUESTION

Just curious if there is something different between the two units and ability to detect the same number of channels? (signal level, SNR, etc.)

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: Connect 4K Channel Detection

Post by signcarver »

Most would see the 4k detect more channels than the extend. Make sure your signal isn't too hot and you have an lte filter. You may also wish to swap the cables and see if it follows cable.

You also didn't mention your market to determine which frequencies you need.

elvisimprsntr

Post by elvisimprsntr »

signcarver wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:49 am Most would see the 4k detect more channels than the extend. Make sure your signal isn't too hot and you have an lte filter. You may also wish to swap the cables and see if it follows cable.

You also didn't mention your market to determine which frequencies you need.
Market: West Palm. No ATSC 3.0 channels until later this summer.

Amplifier: the gain on the amp is sized to overcome the 1x8 distribution splitter insertion loss. https://www.pctinternational.com/produc ... t-vc-f19p/

Filter: On order. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08QD ... UTF8&psc=1

Cable swap: I'll give it a try.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

I believe that is one of the markets that has channels outside the range of the scan as I had read that the 4K was only going to 36 now for scan as "all" channels should be 36 or under now as phones can use down to that now. When I looked a few weeks ago I couldn't see that post but it was mentioned that the next firmware update for the other models would also do such but that didn't happen (from what I saw... haven't tested it with latest on extend lately).

I do recommend that filter but for your market I believe you need a 700 MHz filter rather than 600 so if you use that only put it on the "4K" as it would block the channels above (physical) 36.

Note I am basing this off a previous thread of some area in florida but didn't bother to look if that was your area that had (physical) channels that high up. I suggest using config_gui (assuming you have access to pc/linux, not a mac) and testing the channels for signals above 36

Edit: by the way the first couple of times I repeatedly checked the tuning on the scans on the 4K unit I never saw anything above 599... by my latest scan I did so I doubt that is the issue. It was just something I remember reading around January.

On your extend I suggest retrieving the lineup.json with the tuning parameter (http://<ip-of-tuner>/lineup.json?tuning) and compare it with the same from your connect and make sure all the channels you get are below 608MHz (if so then the filter you chose is good for your market (I checked west palm beach stations and it seemed to have all below 36... don't know what market that other was in... perhaps orlando or miami... I just remember somewhere in florida and was surprised at that

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

The amplifier is likely giving just barely too hot of a signal. Sometimes this behavior is different on different models, even though the CONNECT 4K should have slightly more tolerance in most cases, but there are still other situations where a hot signal will distort in unexpected ways. The issue is that the signal is too hot for the internal amplifier/splitter inside of the CONNECT. An in-line attenuator would likely help, but I would first test to see if that's the issue by using a coaxial splitter (as a quick-and-dirty way to attenuate the signal), or just temporarily connecting the CONNECT 4K directly to the unamplified antenna.