MythTV HDHR5-4K integration

ATSC 3.0 Forum
Lost Dog

MythTV HDHR5-4K integration

Post by Lost Dog »

Hi there,

The HDHR5-4K has gotten some attention of the MythTV devs and I'm helping to test various patches against the Master branch. In MythTV we support all HDHomerun boxes using the libhdhomerun API. We'd like to support the HDHR5-4K so we can receive the programs in the ATSC3.0 streams. Is there documentation or a programming example on how to achieve this?

Thank you!

jasonl
Expert

Re: MythTV HDHR5-4K integration

Post by jasonl »

libhdhomerun is a waste of your time for this since the way MythTV uses it is designed around broadcasts being transport streams. ATSC 3 doesn't use transport streams, so there's really no point in trying to cram that square peg into the round hole. You're better off using ExternalRecorder and mythhdhrrecorder. When tuning by virtual channel as mythhdhrrecorder does, the HDHomeRun converts the stream to a TS in realtime, so it more or less just works with existing solutions as long as you support HEVC and AC-4. I assume MythTV already has HEVC support implemented for European countries that are using it. AC-4 support exists in an ffmpeg fork that you can find linked elsewhere on this forum.

Lost Dog

Post by Lost Dog »

Thank you very much for the helpful reply!! I'll pass this on to the Dev I'm working with.

HEVC works fine but as you indicated, AC-4 needs work. I've been attempting to patch the MythTV internal FFMPEG with the AC-4 fork and have gotten it to compile clean but still don't get AC-4 audio playing. I know next to zero about all of this but I'm learning. At some point it will get noticed by someone who will run with it and make it work (I'm proficient at applying patches, compiling and generating logs...).

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

It is likely mythtv will record out of the box if you enable the "quick tune" feature in the Mythtv HDHomeRun source configuration - this tunes by virtual channel number.

Hopefully it will create a recording - next try using VLC to play the recording it made... VLC won't have video but will prove mythtv recorded correctly.

Nick

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

You sure about that, Nick? I thought quick tune used RF channel and program number instead of RF channel and PID filter.

Watcher

Post by Watcher »

As discussed on the MythTV email lists, it is highly likely that MythTV can use the (3rd party - documented in their wiki) external recorder to record from the HDHR5-4K since it uses the http streaming protocol using the virtual channel. That same recorder is used for the HDHR3-CC (Prime) using virtual channel numbers (so, in theory, it should just work once the available channels are properly entered into the MyhtTV database; yes, there is a lot of theory in there, and AFAIK no one has actually tried it).

Discussion(s) regarding playback issues (and there are more than one issue involved) have occurred on their development email list.

At least one (and perhaps two, it was unclear from the statements, and there may even be more now) US developers live in a location with an active ATSC 3.0 test transmitter, and some developers have indicated that if they had a device they would try to eventually find time look to see what it would involve to be able to record from it using the the legacy protocols (rather than the http streaming protocol external recorder), but had no plans to purchase a device at that time (it was never stated explicitly, but ENOTIME was apparently a factor, along with having better toys to purchase with the money).