ATSC 3.0: Washington, DC / Baltimore, MD

ATSC 3.0 Forum
signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: ATSC 3.0: Washington, DC / Baltimore, MD

Post by signcarver »

The modern HDHR's themselves do periodic autoscans to maintain their lineup... there is no way to turn such off. There have been some improvements such as not enabling previously disabled channels (though I believe if one performs a scan and such channel isn't present it may drop such entirely thus re-enable later if picked up) and not removing a channel from the lineup that was detected by the user implemented "manual" scan but it will change frequency/stream if appropriate (chooses by resolution first then by signal quality).

Most will probably never notice a difference in their lineup but it does happen.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

signcarver wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:05 am (though I believe if one performs a scan and such channel isn't present it may drop such entirely thus re-enable later if picked up)
The background scan will not remove channels.

kyl416
Device ID: 1080DB11

Post by kyl416 »

nickk wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:14 am
signcarver wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:05 am (though I believe if one performs a scan and such channel isn't present it may drop such entirely thus re-enable later if picked up)
The background scan will not remove channels.
It still replaces channels when there's a virtual number conflict and the "new" channel has a higher resolution and/or signal quality at the time of the autoscan.

Like every few days WCBS 2.1 (CBS - 1080i) ends up replacing WDPN 2.1 (MeTV - 720p) in my lineup because the autoscan frequently happens at a time boost conditions are going on, so my antenna is pulling in both WDPN/2 on RF 2 and WCBS/2 on RF 36. And then I can't even tune to MeTV on the app until conditions return to "normal" and I can do a manual scan where the only 2.x's I pick up are WDPN's.

Considering that it's rare for brand new stations to sign on, the current ongoing RF number changes involving LPTV signals along with the ATSC 1.0 simulcasts for stations that convert to ATSC 3.0 will require a manual scan to remove the old RF entries, and atmospheric boost can happen at any time of the day, autoscans of the full band can easily end up doing more harm than good when it pulls in a station with a conflicting virtual number and the logic decides to prefer the ones from 100+ miles away. And even if there are no virtual number conflicts, it will still pollute the guide with a bunch of distant stations you have no chance of getting on a regular basis which can also screw up series recordings. Maybe you should limit the background scan to only search currently stored RF numbers for new subchannels and changes to PSIP labels and/or resolutions.

VicG1

Post by VicG1 »

yeah.. this. I was wondering why these oddball stations were showing up on my guide.

[/quote]
And even if there are no virtual number conflicts, it will still pollute the guide with a bunch of distant stations you have no chance of getting on a regular basis ... Maybe you should limit the background scan to only search currently stored RF numbers for new subchannels and changes to PSIP labels and/or resolutions.
[/quote]

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

Low-power stations are still regularly lighting up new broadcasts all over the country, so that would kind of defeat the purpose. SD really needs to fix their handling of duplicate virtual channel numbers.