ATSC 3.0: Las Vegas

ATSC 3.0 Forum
Ridor

ATSC 3.0: Las Vegas

Post by Ridor »

Overall, I am pleased with my HDHR5-4K tuner. Performance has improved over the last 3 months that I have had it with the various updates that have been released, and I now prefer it to my old Extend tuner. There remains one nagging problem, however. Channel 103.1, the Nextgen broadcast of our NBC affiliate has a bouncing (or flickering) white line across the bottom of the picture, and it is persistent across platforms. I use the apps in Windows 10, Roku, Apple TV 4K, and Fire TV (2nd gen Cube and Fire Stick 4K) and they all show the same thing.
This is not an urgent problem as there is no 4K content being broadcast at present and channel 3.1 works fine. but it would be nice to get it fixed

Ridor

Re: ATSC 3.0: Las Vegas

Post by Ridor »

Channel 29-5004, btw

autodidact

Post by autodidact »

I don't think this has anything to do with your HDHomerun. I get the same programming here in Pahrump that you do. Today I unboxed a new Sony A90J TV. I see a couple of annoying, throbbing scan lines at the bottom on the ATSC 3.0 signal on this TV that aren't there on the ATSC 1.0 signals. I'm going to try to record the phenomenon and send email to the Sinclair people.

autodidact

Post by autodidact »

This is what 3.1 looks like on my new TV in the instant that they fade-to-black at the end of a commercial break. Notice the scan lines at the bottom. These lines flicker throughout 3.1 programming on the ATSC 3.0 signal.

autodidact

Post by autodidact »

In other news, KSNV's broadcast includes interactive content. On my new TV, when I first tune to the channel, after a few seconds a pop-up hint appears on the screen to inform the viewer of the way to bring up the 'main menu' (hit the right arrow on the remote). And indeed this brings up a menu that allows you to play such things as the most recent weather forecast. Should I expect any of this to work on an HDHR5-4K?

compuwizz

Post by compuwizz »

The flickering / colorbar on 103.1 is gone now and the quality looks great. Still haven't gotten a device that will passthrough surround audio to my receiver yet to test that part.

autodidact

Post by autodidact »

KSNV was experimenting with an Alert this morning. A banner appeared across the bottom of screen (ATSC 3.0 signal only) that said 'Test Alert - Please Ignore'. On the right side of the banner were two buttons 'Hide' and 'More Info'. I could select either button on my Sony A90J TV but neither button did anything when pressed. I didn't have time to run and bring up my HDHomeRun to see if it displayed the alert before the banner disappeared, but I strongly doubt it would have. Maybe they'll try the experiment again.