Streaming device that supports HEVC

ATSC 3.0 Forum
WTTWTopTec

Streaming device that supports HEVC

Post by WTTWTopTec »

I have an older Roku that does not support HEVC. What devices have you used that work for both ATSC 1.0 and 3.0?

MWR

Re: Streaming device that supports HEVC

Post by MWR »

I’m using a TIVO 4K Stream. I like it and am considering getting a second. With the Stream, Connect4k and Plex pass, I retired my more expensive TiVo Bolt service. HDHR app will play ATSC1&3 video and sound (I have to set device audio to manual for ATSC3 sound,) Plex will play ATSC1 video and sound but ATSC3 will only play video until Plex updates with AC4 ffmpeg libraries. The HDHR app tends to crash on my system a few times per viewing session, but I think that’s an app problem. The last app update helped and got rid of most audio dropouts, but there are still some issues.

Pros
  • Relatively inexpensive
  • Remote is small, comfortable and functional
Cons
  • Doesn’t pass through bitstream. Crossing my fingers it will happen some day.
  • To play AC4 audio in HDHR app I have to set audio to manual and if the device power cycles, I have to do a dance of setting audio to automatic and then back to manual. It rarely power cycles so not a big deal for me.
  • Persistently displays in HDR. That doesn’t bother me but seems to bother some. I’d expect TiVo to address this as some users have been vocal about it.

CBme

Post by CBme »

WTTWTopTec wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:29 am I have an older Roku that does not support HEVC. What devices have you used that work for both ATSC 1.0 and 3.0?
HEVC is not the issue with any newer device you are going to buy, it is whether it can support AC-4 audio. There is a thread about compatible hardware here: viewtopic.php?f=133&t=74635

cincylion

Post by cincylion »

TIVO Stream 4K is on sale at Amazon and Walmart for $37.98.

Slampman

Post by Slampman »

I am using appletv 4k with channels dvr server and it works great. No audio issues on atsc 3.0 channels at all. I am using the beta server version as well as the test flight channels app on ATV. The only thing that is hit and miss is commercial detection on hevc ota recordings. They are still working on that.

MWR

Post by MWR »

Tivo4kStream owners beware, the new 5256 update broke all sound from HDHR app on my setup. Not just ATSC3 but also 1. Switching from auto to manual sound doesn’t seem to help. Plex works (ATSC1 only) so I’m not dead in the water, but I was enjoying ATSC3 resolution with sound on HDHR app. Sigh.

UPDATE: After power cycling my Onkyo recover by pulling it from the outlet, sound is now working. I suspect may receiver saves something that got in a bad state and the TiVo wasn’t the culprit after all.
Last edited by MWR on Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rontbeamer

Post by Rontbeamer »

Apple TV4k, Nvidia Shield 2019, Sony x800H, LG UM7300

CatDaddy

Post by CatDaddy »

I am unable to discover any streaming device that will work in the DFW Area for Channel 4 Fox 4K...anyone in the area that has one working

WTTWTopTec

Post by WTTWTopTec »

Where on the TIVO 4k do you go to turn the audio settings to "manual"? Some have suggested that will allow AC4 audio to be decoded.

xmguy

Post by xmguy »

Is there any way to have these devices software decode the streams, say in Plex? I already have a setup plex server with the 4K 3.0 tuner.

alikaz

Post by alikaz »

xmguy wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:39 pm Is there any way to have these devices software decode the streams, say in Plex? I already have a setup plex server with the 4K 3.0 tuner.
That would be ideal, transcode down the audio to AC3 or something. Short answer why not is currently Plex doesnt support AC-4 audio because it uses FFDShow which doesn't support AC-4 (yet).

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/8349

TomZ

Post by TomZ »

WTTWTopTec,

Does your user name have anything to do with the Chicago station by the same call letters? I'm just wondering if maybe sometime soon we may see some ATSC 3.0 broadcasts soon in Chicago.

xmguy

Post by xmguy »

alikaz wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:01 am
xmguy wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:39 pm Is there any way to have these devices software decode the streams, say in Plex? I already have a setup plex server with the 4K 3.0 tuner.
That would be ideal, transcode down the audio to AC3 or something. Short answer why not is currently Plex doesnt support AC-4 audio because it uses FFDShow which doesn't support AC-4 (yet).

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/8349
I do hope this changes soon. I'm really banking on this ATSC 3.0 for my fringe area. So my mother has a reliable backup TV source.