HDHOMERUN Connect DVR resolution

ATSC 3.0 Forum
Aseries

HDHOMERUN Connect DVR resolution

Post by Aseries »

I have been using cable for decades but today I have connected my good old DIY 4-tier bowtie antenna to a TV. I heard the Super Bowl will be broadcast OTA in extremely high resolution. I tuned in the local CBS and it looks great on my old Samsung 32 inch but I wonder how it looks in one of the new TVs.
I was wondering how HDHOMERUN Connect DVR would handle high resolutions.

kyl416
Device ID: 1080DB11

Re: HDHOMERUN Connect DVR resolution

Post by kyl416 »

You heard wrong. CBS isn't producing the Super Bowl in 4K this year, so even cable and satellite providers don't have it in 4K. Even if they did, because of the shared lighthouse situation with ATSC 3.0, there isn't enough bandwidth for 4K OTA right now.

The only station currently doing 4K is a LPTV station in Idaho who carries Insight UHD as part of encrypted cable like subscription service, so it isn't available with the HDHomeRun. The rest of ATSC 3.0 is just 1080p/1080i/720p/480p/480i simulcasts.

CBme

Post by CBme »

Not only are they not doing it this year, previous year's 4k was reportedly just upscaled at broadcast from 1080 workflow. Waste of bandwidth for marketing purposes (other than hdr) as a 4k tv can do the upscaling.

csdesigns

Post by csdesigns »

CBme wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:35 pm Not only are they not doing it this year, previous year's 4k was reportedly just upscaled at broadcast from 1080 workflow. Waste of bandwidth for marketing purposes (other than hdr) as a 4k tv can do the upscaling.
Yes, FOX steamed the Big Game in 2020 in 4K HDR10 (they’ve also done the World Series the past few years in the same format). But, the ‘4K’ resolution was simply upscaled from a 1080p master. FOX does have some native 4K cameras in their standard production, but it is still too costly for them to shoot, mix, edit, transmit, encode, and broadcast a live event in native 4K. (I think one of the trickiest parts for all this has to do with the broadcast end, as there are MANY affiliates who would require an upgrade; even though we’re primarily talking about streaming here, it’s the main broadcast and the affiliates which will drive faster 4K adoption amongst the big networks,)

To date, FOX’s HDR has been mostly a joke. They do not take too much advantage of the available color range afforded by HDR (most of the time, it simply appears as though they’ve capped their colorspace to standard Rec 709 limits), and the range in brightness is also considerably limited. What most viewers are left with, even on a high-end tv, is a darkened mess. It is marginally better than SDR in some ways, but appreciably worse in others.

Now with all that said, I must admit that if given the choice, I’m probably still going to watch the 4K stream over the OTA broadcast. There are two areas where the stream is undoubtedly better: 1) less commercials — FOX’s online streaming rights don’t typically include local advertising breaks (last I checked anyway, and certainly not to the extent the OTA broadcast does), so there are generally way fewer commercials — where your local broadcast is likely showing some local car dealership ad or such, FOX cuts back to a wide presentation of the field with just background audio (it’s quite relaxing); 2) better picture quality — the better PQ has almost nothing to do with the whole 4K thing, but instead is due to the fact that FOX is throwing so many bits at the stream to deliver the 4K pixels — so what you end up getting is very clean and sharp, though if they were to just encode 1080p at the same bit rate, the result would undoubtedly be even better