Question on how ATSC 3.0 has been deployed

ATSC 3.0 Forum
RonRN18

Question on how ATSC 3.0 has been deployed

Post by RonRN18 »

ATSC 3.0 is not yet available in my market (Sacramento, CA region) but curious as to how ATSC 3.0 has been deployed in other markets. What I'm interested to know is the number of channels per broadcasted frequency and the format of each channel. Are "traditional" sub-channels (i.e., Cozi, This, Antenna, or MeTV) we've become accustomed to included, and if so, are they still 480i MPEG2 streams or have they been converted to 480p or better in HEVC? Has all the audio been converted to AC4 or is some still AC3? Another question is how is the actual reception of these stations different from ATSC 1.0 stations? Are they broadcasting at normal power levels or reduced power? To my understanding, the OFDM handles multi-path much better than 8VSB and because of this, additional transmitters can be used on the same frequency at different locations, unlike current translators on an altogether different frequency to provide coverage in communities that have difficulty with original broadcast towers.

I have quite a few stations currently where I get a near 100% signal strength but low-level signal-to-noise levels. I assume much of my signal-to-noise level issue is due to multi-path but don't know for sure. For an example of what I "see" here, I am running Bandscan and feeding the data to RabbitEars.info. There are a few hiccups in Bandscan, primarily when it deals with stations transmitting their TSID as 0x0001. For Bandscan, I'm using Tuner 1 (the second ATSC 3.0-capable tuner) on my HDHR5-4K.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: Question on how ATSC 3.0 has been deployed

Post by signcarver »

Typically a physical channel has about 4 hd stations... since their 1.0 signal still needs to be on the air they need to partner with at least one other (often the main channel goes to one station and it's subs go to another one or two) so generally none of your typical subchannels as atsc 3.0. After 5 years as atsc 3.0 the partner stations can then convert if they wish and at that time more will probably get their own subchannels over and have 4k content.

Audio is supposed to be ac4. Usually I've done quite well with low signal quality with the exception with one of my atsc 3.0 channels being right next door, 4 miles, while every other station, including the other 3.0) is 24 miles and its strength is extremely high at times. But it varies by market and station and plp configuration

xmguy
Device ID: 10815046, 1037F17E

Post by xmguy »

I wish the “now broadcasting” stations were not in sub channels off the main channel. In my area the signal is great, picture beautiful. But I can only get the 16QAM PLP layer. This wouldn’t be an issue if EACH major channel in my DMA of Nashville TN hadn’t decided to sub channel to the main just so they could say, look we’re fully on air. I’m hoping a tiny bit higher UHF antenna will bring a deeper level layer for these channels in the mean time. I’ll say this, 5 years is a long wait for something that I was hoping to improve my 75 miles away signal.

CBme

Post by CBme »

xmguy wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:00 pm I wish the “now broadcasting” stations were not in sub channels off the main channel. In my area the signal is great, picture beautiful. But I can only get the 16QAM PLP layer. This wouldn’t be an issue if EACH major channel in my DMA of Nashville TN hadn’t decided to sub channel to the main just so they could say, look we’re fully on air. I’m hoping a tiny bit higher UHF antenna will bring a deeper level layer for these channels in the mean time. I’ll say this, 5 years is a long wait for something that I was hoping to improve my 75 miles away signal.
That is how they make money. Absolute best image quality is never going to win over good enough & paying the bills.

xmguy
Device ID: 10815046, 1037F17E

Post by xmguy »

Im waiting for Chattanooga TN deployment. I can’t get that area (even though I’m only 43 miles away). I can get it during skip nights, but I’m too close to mountains and it’s 2EDGE. I would hope the low bit rate ATSC 3.0 would allow reception. It has done great for WUXP 21 for the Nashville DMA. Sure it’s the lowest QAM16. But once each channel has its own signal, I won’t care if I can’t get the sub channels since I have cable tv as well. But those main channels is what I’m after for this very fringe area in which I live.