3.0 OTA With No Internet?

ATSC 3.0 Forum
Tormentor

3.0 OTA With No Internet?

Post by Tormentor »

Considering finally adding a Connect 4K to my 2 trusty Connects now that my local market has 3.0 broadcasts, but I have a question. Forgive me if this is answered somewhere here already as I've failed at finding the right combination of search terms here and everywhere else I've researched.

I cannot tell from the 3.0 spec or from Connect 4K literature if I can use everything without internet. I've been quite happy with just my antennas and my 4 tuners over the years, and I'd really like for this model to just continue...OTA broadcast, antenna reception, HDHomeruns and NextPVR. No spying and metrics gathering, and no "enhanced experience" or whatnot.

If I get a Connect 4K, can I block it from the public internet, restricting it to only my local network, and still have the basic high quality experience I've enjoyed with ATSC 1.0, but in 3.0?

The 3.0 spec looks as if broadcasters might be able to prevent you from picking up a 3.0 signal without internet if they use encryption. Anyway, I can't tell between broadcasters, hardware device FAQ and requirements, etc whether I can keep my tin foil hat on and still enjoy basic TV :D

Any info from SD or existing owners' experiences would be much appreciated.

CBme

Re: 3.0 OTA With No Internet?

Post by CBme »

There are no internet features enabled via the HDHR currently though a few stations are broadcasting test-type connected info for enhanced viewing experience. To your core question, no, there is no chance the main OTA channels require internet to display the picture. There is expected to be some pay/subscription broadcasts that will likely require connectivity but we have no info on those or how they will or won't be supported with HDHR.
We do not have any info on if or how HDHR will support any of the internet or app connected content or if they are able to enable support, if we will be able to toggle it on and off (though I'd certainly expect the HDHR team to have the ability to disable it).

Tormentor

Post by Tormentor »

Thanks, I guess there are still many unknowns...not just that I couldn't find the info on them.

I'll probably pull the trigger soon then and just deny the device's access to internet and see how it goes.

burkazoid

Post by burkazoid »

Tormentor,

Did you perchance find an answer to your "OTA with no Internet" question? I've had some consistent Internet outages recently, and have an HD Connect Duo, and have been unable to load any of the OTA channels when this happens. I am using the HD app on both a generation 4 Apple Tv, and on two Roku devices. I would appreciate any advice or comments you might have to offer.

Best,
B.

xmguy
Device ID: 10815046, 1037F17E

Post by xmguy »

I hope somethings never happen. I worry about them deciding OTA no longer needs to be free, and lobbies the FCC to comply. Then using 3.0 to make OTA a encrypted subscription model. I don't really care about internet enhancements. I am in it for the robust signals that (hopefully) every station will have for their main channel in the future.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

burkazoid wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:04 pm Tormentor,

Did you perchance find an answer to your "OTA with no Internet" question? I've had some consistent Internet outages recently, and have an HD Connect Duo, and have been unable to load any of the OTA channels when this happens. I am using the HD app on both a generation 4 Apple Tv, and on two Roku devices. I would appreciate any advice or comments you might have to offer.

Best,
B.
Your issue is the app as the official HDHomeRun app(s) require internet access to even load the UI as well as to get guide etc... use a 3rd party app if you don't wish to require internet access. For ATSC 3, don't use roku (my personal suggestion is not to use roku at all for TV content only for internet content made to work with roku).