No Audio through Chromecast

ATSC 3.0 Forum
pre5ton

No Audio through Chromecast

Post by pre5ton »

I'm running a HDHR5-4K with the latest firmware (20210118) and when using the HDHomeRun app through my new Chromecast with Google TV, I get audio and video on ATSC 1.0 channels, but only get video on ATSC 3.0 channels. I've tried turning AC-3 pass through on and off (but didn't think it would make a difference given ATSC 3.0 is AC-4). Sound is coming through a Pioneer VSX-520 receiver. Is there a setting or something that I need to adjust? I tried googling and it sounds like others are using the Chromecast with Google TV without issues for ATSC 3.0 streams.

nickk
Silicondust

Re: No Audio through Chromecast

Post by nickk »

I haven't played with that model... do you install the app on the Chromecast dongle or are you streaming from a cell phone?

Nick

pre5ton

Post by pre5ton »

I'm playing through the app installed on the chromecast dongle.

kinisonkhan

Post by kinisonkhan »

I have a "Chromecast with Google TV" device and have the same issue, suspect its because it doesn't support AC-4 audio. Same thing occurs on my Raspberry Pi4, Xiaomi Mi Box S, 2nd Gen nVidia Shield, be it running Kodi the HDHR app or VLC, all have the same issue.

thully

Post by thully »

I have a Chromecast with Google TV and have audio on ATSC 3.0 channels, though I had no audio until the first firmware/software updates in early January. I’m not using any receiver - my Chromecast with Google TV is plugged directly into my Samsung NU8000 TV (which I am pretty sure does not support AC4 natively - I get no audio when playing ATSC3 channels through the DLNA interface). May want to try plugging directly into the TV to see if the receiver is the issue...

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

I was able to find diagnostic logs from a Chromecast with Google TV device ("sabrina").

The dongle itself doesn't decode Atmos but it works if you connect the dongle to a TV/home-theater/sound-bar with Atmos support.

Nick

thully

Post by thully »

If that is the case, then my TV must support AC4. A bit surprising given the lack of audio when using DLNA...