Latest App for Roku?

ATSC 3.0 Forum
robertbaetke

Latest App for Roku?

Post by robertbaetke »

I have a TCL 55R617 with built-in Roku v 9.4.0. The specs for this TV state that it supports HEVC and AC-4 so I would explect the HD APP to work but it doesn't. When I tune any ATSC-3 channel (Portland Market) I get a blue screen with the HDHomeRun Logo in the upper left corner and the channel number at the top center of the screen. I checked the version of the HDHR App and it is Version 55.0 Build 20200504 which seems pretty old given all the recent developents on other platforms. Is there a newer app available or is one schedue for release that will work with 4K Roku TV's?

nickk
Silicondust

Re: Latest App for Roku?

Post by nickk »

Hi,

Roku requires that we use their player and their player doesn't currently support AC4 audio in a TS or HLS transport.

We have informed Roku of the issue and we have sent sample files to Roku.

Nick

emveepee

Post by emveepee »

nickk wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:26 am Roku requires that we use their player and their player doesn't currently support AC4 audio in a TS or HLS transport.
Is there a utility that can remux an ATSC 3.0 stream to mp4?

Martin

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

I would imagine that MP4Box can remux a recorded TS into an MP4 file. Live TV would be a much bigger problem since MP4 isn't a streaming format and you would have to have a lot more logic involved to create a "stream" using DASH, HLS, or similar.

emveepee

Post by emveepee »

jasonl wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:02 pm I would imagine that MP4Box can remux a recorded TS into an MP4 file. Live TV would be a much bigger problem since MP4 isn't a streaming format and you would have to have a lot more logic involved to create a "stream" using DASH, HLS, or similar.
I understand the live tv issue but I can stream mp4 PVR recordings even without faststart on the Roku. I tried mp4box on these streams and it can't handle them the error was

Unknown registration descriptor AC-4

Martin

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

There's an ffmpeg build linked in another thread in here that has AC-4 support. That might be worth a try.

emveepee

Post by emveepee »

jasonl wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:39 pm There's an ffmpeg build linked in another thread in here that has AC-4 support. That might be worth a try.
Tried it earlier too, I can only transcode not -acodec copy

Martin

emveepee

Post by emveepee »

I have been able to use eac3to in combination with the Dolby reference m4muxer and it does produce mp4 files that the Roku Ultra can play.

Martin

xmguy

Post by xmguy »

That branched ffmpeg in the other thread does great for AC-4 decoding. Sadly I can’t find many real time transcoders that also stream data out.