Signal GH Tuner stats utility

ATSC 3.0 Forum
mrquietus

Signal GH Tuner stats utility

Post by mrquietus »

Hi I own Signal-GH utility and have been using it for a few years. Now recently we have the new 2021 tuner firmware and the new >100 channel listings for ATSC3 channels. When I used Signal-GH to "Scan Digital Channels", in my market it only identifies 2 of the 6 ATSC "channels" I have in my market. Actually some of these are combined in my market, so maybe it is picking up the 2 broadcasts which each have 3 programs (channel numbers) each on them? Anyway I know this is not support for Signal-GH utility and I can reach out to them on this as well.
  • But I know others are surely using this util and wondered how many may have tried it with Quatro 4K and whether you can use Signal to graph out the ATSC1 vs ATSC3 channels at the same time ?
  • I thought SiliconDust might also just have advice on how those channels are being generated.
I know only 2 tuners can do ATSC3, so thinking that tuning an ATSC3 channel on the 0 or 1 tuner, then tuning the ATSC1.0 channel on Tuner 3 or 4. Then graphing that out with Signal-GH while watching those feeds. For instance in my case just troubleshooting how reliable /stable particular clients are for ATSC3 viewing. It can be the client, the tuner firmware, the signal in your local market, your local network, and who knows what other contributing factors. But watching signal GH for irregularity of the signal coming into the tuner might seem like a decent sanity check. Thought someone might have comments about using this or the HDHome Run utility for this. I don't generally run much on Windows side to run the GUI utilities, and I know the tuner web page shows it but only 1 channel at a time, not sure about it refresh rate.

mrquietus

Re: Signal GH Tuner stats utility

Post by mrquietus »

Related question to above. Is there anything other than the Windows "HDHomeRun Config GUI" program that can display realtime tuner info? Whether paid utility like Signal-GH or another tool or API interface? The HDHomeRun Config GUI displays a lot of good info, just wondering if there is a way to display this info outside of running a windows instance somewhere on my home network just for that function. There is special software called https://www.codeweavers.com that can be used to run Windows apps on Mac or other operating systems, but it uses Wine and other stuff to achieve this. Maybe someone has already tried to run the HDHomeRun Config GUI under Mac, Linux, or Chrome using Codeweavers or other util. Looking for something lighter than an entire VM. I am mostly interested in the Signal Strength, Signal Quality, and Symbol Quality, all in real-time updating status.
Last edited by mrquietus on Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrquietus

HDHomeRun-Config-GUI windows utility usage Question

Post by mrquietus »

I have found that I can run multiple copies of the Windows HDHomeRun_Config_GUI utility at the same time on the same Windows computer, and then on each instance I can view the signal strength and other stats of different tuners at the same time. Is there any oddities in behavior expected by doing this? e.g. multiple instances of a single EXE reaching out to the tuner, all from the same IP, but requesting different info from different tuners. I will try to upload screenshot later.
edit: adding link to screen capture.

jasonl
Expert

Re: Signal GH Tuner stats utility

Post by jasonl »

It's designed to work that way. I do that when I adjust my antenna so I can monitor the signal on several different channels at once.