Detroit ATSC 3.0 - Jan 2021

ATSC 3.0 Forum
clarkss12
Device ID: 104CBEA5 ;1055A951

Detroit ATSC 3.0 - Jan 2021

Post by clarkss12 »

All I can say about the new update, is wow. I am watching the NFL game Arizona against Lar using my 4K tuner and everything is playing perfectly. The center channel of my surround sound is sending the signal to the rear speakers, in my particular case I love it, since I have a difficulty hearing.

I am using my Nvidia shield which feeds into my Yamaha receiver, that feeds into my newest Vizio HDR and Dolby vision TV.

Everything is fantastic,
A big kudos to silicon dust.

thully

Re: Detroit ATSC 3.0

Post by thully »

Is anyone having issues with video on WXYZ and WMYD? The latest updates fixed audio for me on the Chromecast with Google TV, but those two channels have laggy video that drops tons of frames. Curiously, this only happens on the Chromecast (my iPad is fine), and only those two channels...

clarkss12

Post by clarkss12 »

With the Android update version from January 4th, the audio is working perfectly. On my surround system, the center channel audio was coming out the rear speakers and side speakers, now the audio is coming out the center speaker like it should.

From my limited amount of testing, everything seems to be working perfectly on the Nvidia shield.
Fantastic job, thanks.

guitardaz

Post by guitardaz »

thully wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:43 pm Is anyone having issues with video on WXYZ and WMYD? The latest updates fixed audio for me on the Chromecast with Google TV, but those two channels have laggy video that drops tons of frames. Curiously, this only happens on the Chromecast (my iPad is fine), and only those two channels...
Yes - i am still having "no video" error messages and drop outs off and on after the update. The app randomly crashes from time to time. This happens on both Nvidia Shield 2019 and Fire Stick 4K.

Also, there is a significant delay before the signal appears when I tune into or switch between the ATSC 3 stations.

thully

Re: Detroit ATSC 3.0 - Jan 2021

Post by thully »

I’ve been experiencing the “no data” when changing channels as well, which I don’t recall happening before all of the January updates (though before then I didn’t have audio on my Chromecast with Google TV on the HDHomeRun app). Also seeing the HDHomeRun app consistently crashing after 10-20 minutes on the Chromecast when watching HEVC channels (which doesn’t happen on regular HD channels).

However, the issue I originally mentioned was specific to WXYZ and WMYD, and specific to the Chromecast. On the ATSC 3.0 version of those channels and that device, the frame rate is extremely poor, with lots of video stuttering/frame drops. I don’t have issues with other channels or with those channels on another device (though my iPad is the only other device I have that can do AC4).

In any case, I have mentioned most these issues in the ticket I initially opened for ATSC 3.0 issues with SiliconDust support, but I haven’t heard anything back acknowledging it yet. Should I open separate tickets for each one?

tvjay419

Post by tvjay419 »

I live south of Toledo and just got my 3.0 tuner but I can't view any of the channels even though the tuner shows that they are there. I used to get WMYD just fine in 1.0 mode so I gave my tuner to my boss who lives about 20 miles closer and he couldn't get it either. Does anyone know how far the signal goes out? I have heard 3.0 should be better than 1.0 but I am having my doubts.

clarkss12

Post by clarkss12 »

Not sure if it has already been reported, but the CC do not work...

Also, as others have stated, the app running on the Nvidia Shield crashes to the Android home screen after about 15 minutes.

zurdibus

Post by zurdibus »

For me I can get WXYZ to tune in sometimes, I have not had an issue with WMYD but WWJ is an issue, not as many no video available errors as WXYZ. Until I turned diagnostic info I wasn't able to get WXYZ or WWJ to tune in. But that could have been coincidence.

As to how far the signal travels, I believe currently all ATSC 3.0 stations are being broadcast out of the WMYD-TV (Channel 20) tower. They could have different power levels though, I'm not sure how it works exactly. Supposedly long term multiple towers from multiple stations can broadcast the same signals as ghosting isn't an issue with ATSC 3.0 which is another way the overall signal can be more robust. I am pretty close to this tower, which is why I might not have issues getting WMYD, the others being an issue are strange though.

tvjay419

Post by tvjay419 »

I finally got mine to work but none of the stations had audio. I also had to use the manual tuning app to get even the video to work. Using the HD Homerun app results in no video.

zurdibus

Post by zurdibus »

I was just playing with the conifg_gui troubleshooting this and on the problem channels for me 104.1 and 162.1 the gui would show 100 percent signal strength, 100 percent quality %, and 100 percent Quality % when tuned and working in hdhomerun, natively on the TV, etc. Which makes sense since I'm about 5 miles away. But what generally happens with those apps is it tries to connect to a qam16 on PLP0 first then connects to a qam256 on PLP1 and then drops with no video, or tries again one more time and could drop with no video or show the video.

I hadn't played with the command like hdhomerun_config but after reading your post i figured out how to use it and it tunes every channel 100 percent of the time. However, I can't hear the audio on my PC, but the file contains audio most of the time, but sometimes the file contains no audio. Which makes me wonder if that's one of the reasons why the hdhomerun/tv end up posting the tuning error. Eitherway I haven't gotten it to not tune the problematic channels at all this way and I had tried manually tuning with the web browser and had the same issue with not always working. It also didn't always have the audio stream either when it worked.

Here is some info about the streams being broadcast and strengths, etc...

c:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun>hdhomerun_config.exe 10.0.0.100 get /tuner0/status
ch=atsc3:575000000:1 lock=atsc3 ss=100 snq=100 seq=100 bps=0 pps=0

c:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun>hdhomerun_config.exe 10.0.0.100 get /tuner0/plpinfo
0: sfi=0 mod=qam16 cod=9/15 layer=core ti=hti lls=1
1: sfi=1 mod=qam256 cod=11/15 layer=core ti=hti lls=0 lock=1

c:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun>hdhomerun_config.exe 10.0.0.100 get /tuner0/streaminfo
1: 120.1 WMYD-HD
33: 107.1 WXYZ
34: 104.1 WDIV
35: 162.1 WWJ
36: 102.1 WJBK

zurdibus

Post by zurdibus »

Tuning issues for me appear to be fixed as of the firmware released yesterday. Firmware: 20210118

thully

Post by thully »

Same here (also in the Detroit market) - not having the issue with “no data” popping up when tuning to channels anymore. Still having other issues - in particular the HDHomeRun app crashing after 10min/stuttering on 107.1/120.1 on Chromecast with Google TV (Android TV). Not seeing that on my iPad, though the Chromecast is my only TV streaming device that can play AC4...

zurdibus

Post by zurdibus »

thully wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:21 am Still having other issues - in particular the HDHomeRun app crashing after 10min/stuttering on 107.1/120.1 on Chromecast with Google TV (Android TV).
I think this might be an issue with the android hdhomerun app. It will crash on my phone or on my nvidia shield pro as well if its tuned to an ATSC 3.0 channel.

I have a TV that sees the hdhomerun device on the network so I have been able to test that at least. I'm not sure that the current ATSC 3.0 channels look any better, the bitrates are really low, color might be better? but I'm pretty sure they are just taking the atsc 1.0 bitrate, making it 60fps if it wasn't already and compressing to its equivalent HEVC rate. Hopefully they intend to increase the bit rates later. But its nice to have what is there to test and see it working finally.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Android app crashing...

If you have a recording that results in the app crashing we would like to test the recording here.

We can view Phoenix ATSC 3.0 channels for hours on end on Android without issue.

Nick

zurdibus

Post by zurdibus »

Well good news the bit rate of all these channels are horrible so even an hour long file won't be very big. :)

It sometimes takes about an hour to crash and i can save a file with a command like hdhomerun_config.exe 10.0.0.100 save /tuner0 f:\test.ts but I have no guarantee that it actually caused a crash in my hdhomerun app on my phone or my nvidia shield. Although I have yet to go an hour on at least 162.1 without it crashing, but i can tune an atsc 1.0 channel for hours without issue as well. So it does seem to be related to the atsc 3.0 broadcasts out of channel 31 here.

Where should i put it/them? are there other flags I should use? I could probably record 2 1 hour streams at first at least 4 and 62 both crash eventually. Although there seems to be no guarantee that audio tracks are recorded when i use hdhomerunconfig to set the channel and then save it so it might take a couple of tries.