ATSC 3.0: Denver - Jan 2021

ATSC 3.0 Forum
jasonl
Expert

Re: ATSC 3.0: Denver

Post by jasonl »

Most of Denver is pretty easy as long as you're not up towards Boulder or otherwise in areas that are shadowed by hills/mountains. If you can do an attic antenna, I like either https://www.amazon.com/pingbingding-Ant ... 07PHMSTFF/ or the RCA ANT751. They're both inexpensive and fairly compact but have solid reception on UHF and high VHF out to about 30 miles in flat terrain, so that covers like 90% of the population of the Denver area.

ppasteur

Re: ATSC 3.0: Denver

Post by ppasteur »

Jasonl,
I agree that either would be fine for most people in the Denver area. Either should be better than most of the active amplified "probe" types of antennas.
Always good to check things before buying though.
As easy as most of Denver is, it is amazing how many people post over on AVS in the Denver OTA forum about problems with the various stations.
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/denver-co-ota.793003/

My antenna is clearly overkill. I put it up years ago when I was playing with TV DXing. Actually I bought some attenuators to play with as NedS looking at the diagnostics from my 4K tuner and said that signal levels were too high. But I am around 11 miles line of sight to Lookout Mountain. I have this on an inside wall mostly pointed at Lookout Mountain:
https://winegard.com/products/hdtv-digi ... freevision
It works fine for the bulk of the stations. It is pretty shallow, so may be good for constrained spaces.
I think I like either of the choices that you listed (better the one from Amazon I think) more though.

Gwilly7

Re: ATSC 3.0: Denver - Jan 2021

Post by Gwilly7 »

I am finally getting sound on my sony x900h with the Android app, but audio seems to default to Spanish. Not seeing anywhere to set English as default anywhere.

CBme

Post by CBme »

Gwilly7 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:59 pm I am finally getting sound on my sony x900h with the Android app, but audio seems to default to Spanish. Not seeing anywhere to set English as default anywhere.
It is defaulting to SAP for that station. It is a problem with the order of how the audio is being broadcast and what HDHR is looking for. Nick talked it about it for our physical channel's stations that have the same issue.

viewtopic.php?p=368158#p368158
viewtopic.php?p=368184#p368184

ppasteur

Post by ppasteur »

Gwilly7 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:59 pm I am finally getting sound on my sony x900h with the Android app, but audio seems to default to Spanish. Not seeing anywhere to set English as default anywhere.
I started watching the Washington/Tampa game last night and was surprised to hear the audio in Spanish. For some reason I thought to click on the SAP button in the app. It changed it to English.
Apparently it is on the station to fix it. But at least I could understand the announcer after changing SAP. I did not have the same problem with the ATSC 1 signal. (???)

PS. I read the info at the above links. At least I understand why it is happening, and I know how to fix it now.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

The station isn't providing a tag indicating any audio track is the main track.

I checked with ATSC org and they lean towards the approach of providing the user with the list of languages then remembering the selection.

ppasteur

Post by ppasteur »

I just went back to the station (109-1 KUSA). This morning it is playing in English.
Did the HDHR app remember my last selection?
BTW, when I was hearing the Spanish audio, apparently that was the first in the XML file. Is some kind of initial audio selection something the app needs to offer?

CBme

Post by CBme »

ppasteur wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:32 am I just went back to the station (109-1 KUSA). This morning it is playing in English.
Did the HDHR app remember my last selection?
BTW, when I was hearing the Spanish audio, apparently that was the first in the XML file. Is some kind of initial audio selection something the app needs to offer?
My current versions don't remember selection and it is likely that nothing changed with your broadcast's track order. In my market's case (as is currently happening with our NBC show I just checked), most of the time the secondary audio is stereo English so you may not immediately realize something isn't correct unless you are watching on a 5.1 system and it is a program you would notice if it didn't have proper surround sound. It is why many of us didn't understand that there was an issue as it only happened at certain times, like the football game. Reality was that the SAP track just wasn't in Spanish during those times.
To check it, just select SAP and if the pop up says english 5.1, it means the audio track it has selected by default isn't the one you want.

kyl416
Device ID: 1080DB11

Post by kyl416 »

Yeah, SAP isn't always Spanish, many times it's used during primetime to have descriptive audio for the blind where a narrator describes the on screen action, the rest of the time it's just a stereo or mono version of the main audio track.

ppasteur

Post by ppasteur »

OK Guys, Thanks for the explanation. With this in mind, I will do more testing.
So far I have only checked on the PC. I use a USB DAC and stereo headphones. I would not notice the lack of 5.1.
I will test in one of the other systems that can use DD 5.1.

CBme

Post by CBme »

ppasteur wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:33 pm OK Guys, Thanks for the explanation. With this in mind, I will do more testing.
So far I have only checked on the PC. I use a USB DAC and stereo headphones. I would not notice the lack of 5.1.
I will test in one of the other systems that can use DD 5.1.
On the PC the HDHR player should still pop up a description of what you just switched to when you click on the SAP button, even if you are listening in stereo. So if you go to NBC, then click on the SAP button, and you see English 5.1 pop up, you will know it defaulted to SAP. If instead it pops up saying Spanish or English stereo then it defaulted to the correct primary 5.1 audio.

ppasteur

Post by ppasteur »

OK. Got it. I checked all 4 of the available ATSC 3 stations. They all showed English 5.1 on first click of the SAP icon.
So, indeed, they are defaulting to the first SAP audio in the XML file.
Something to keep in mind going forward.
At this point I am watching the ATSC 1 channels pretty much exclusively. Over the weekend I checked bit rates. The ATSC 1 stations were delivering 2 to 3 times the bitrates of the HEVC signals.
The picture quality was noticeably better too. Especially for football games.

In a related question, does anyone know whether the reported bit rate in the config GUI is after decompression. I assume that it is, but the labeling (term "network") is slightly confusing.

mrkalpakkam

Post by mrkalpakkam »

I am getting about 4 hevc channels 102. 107, 109, 131 and 65 atsc 1.0 channels. Updated to latest beta firmware. Tested with atmos receiver and 4k hdr display.
All atsc 1.0 channels working fine with 5.1 dolby.

Atsc 3.0 channel status:

Apple tv 4k - working fine
Windows PC - working fine with windows app and hevc plugin
Fire tv 4k and Fire tv lite - working fine
iMac (mac os beta app)- working fine in catalina

Roku premiere+ - no audio - not capable of getting ac-4
Mibox 3 Android TV (Oreo) - no audio - Pie update may work
Sony Ultra bluray player and Sony TV DLNA - no audio
Last edited by mrkalpakkam on Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

mrkalpakkam wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:07 am Mibox 3 Android TV (Oreo) - no audio
Test...
1) Make sure you have the latest 2021 app installed.
2) Connect the HDMI to your Atmos receiver
3) Launch the HDHomeRun app.
4) Post back with the Device ID of your HDHomeRun.

Nick

mrkalpakkam

Post by mrkalpakkam »

nickk wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:03 pm
mrkalpakkam wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:07 am Mibox 3 Android TV (Oreo) - no audio
Test...
1) Make sure you have the latest 2021 app installed.
2) Connect the HDMI to your Atmos receiver
3) Launch the HDHomeRun app.
4) Post back with the Device ID of your HDHomeRun.

Nick
Yes, 2021 app installed, connected to atmos receiver with hdmi (fire tv 4k works in this setup without issues)
All atsc 1.0 channels work with 5.1 dolby. atsc 3.0 channels work without audio.

Device ID 10817C00

Is there any kodi addon for hdhomerun 4k? I can test as I can play atmos videos through kodi.