ASTC 3.0 Columbus, Ohio - Jan 2021

ATSC 3.0 Forum
bobchase
Device ID: 10810736

Re: ASTC 3.0 Columbus, Ohio - Jan 2021

Post by bobchase »

Bill-99 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:06 pm I've been hoping to get some time to compare the Sony to a TV fed by the HDHomeRun tuner but the stations aren't broadcasting reliably enough yet to do so
Your Sony TV is an Android device and as such can run the HD Home Run directly on the TV. When you get some 3.0 TV, you will be able to compare them directly.
Go to the Apps section on the TV to load HDHR.

Bill-99

Post by Bill-99 »

Excellent point. Thanks for the tip!

Bill-99

PC Hardware and HEVC Extensions, JRiver

Post by Bill-99 »

Two other items I've been chasing down might be of interest to others...

First, my primary TV doesn't have an ATSC 3.0 tuner but it can display native 4K content and it supports HDR10. It's still a pretty good TV so my intent was to run the SiliconDust software on a home theater PC, sending audio and video to an outboard AV processor. The processor would handle audio and would pass along video to the TV. A streamer and Blu Ray player connected to the processor already do this. Everything is connected using certified high speed HDMI cables, so streaming 4K from a HTPC fed by an ATSC 3.0 tuner seemed like it should be no big deal.

Installing the tuner was easy, as was the firmware upgrade and installation of the HDHomeRun desktop app. Using a browser, I went to 192.168.1.x, the tuner IP, went through broadcast channel discovery, and confirmed that it found the ATSC 3.0 channels. The HDHomeRun desktop app was able to display the ATSC 1.0 channels but ATSC 3.0 content wouldn't work no matter what I tried. Suspecting there might be something odd happening on the HTPC, I installed the HDHomeRun software on a newer PC. When I tried to run the HDHomeRun app with an ATSC 3.0 station, a message was displayed asking if I wanted to install HEVC extensions (something like that). I said yes and it led to a screen asking to install "HEVC Video Extensions from Device Manufacturer". I went ahead with installation of these extensions. Upon subsequently trying to view an ATSC 3.0 station, it worked. I tried this on a third newish PC and it worked there as well. Best guess is that either the CPU, motherboard + chipset, or both, are just old enough on the HTPC that the HEVC extensions can't be used.

The point is that HEVC extensions were required to make ATSC 3.0 content available on my PCs. It's not clear if there is any other path short of hardware upgrades to make things work.

Second, my HTPC uses JRiver Media Center to record over-the-air content for time-shifted viewing. It had been using an AVERMedia ATSC 1.0 tuner that worked well but it's pretty old (2009 vintage) and it doesn't handle ATSC 3.0. After getting the SiliconDust tuner installed, reconfiguring JRiver to use it was easy, and it works well enough that that AVERMedia card has been retired. The big question is: Can JRiver record ATSC 3.0 content? That's TBD and on my list to ask the JRiver support team.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Look for "HEVC Video Extensions" from Microsoft in the app store - it costs $0.99 but should make HEVC content work on your older PC. Note that 4K content will likely require hardware support.

Nick

Bill-99

Post by Bill-99 »

Nick, thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately it didn't work in my case though it seems likely to be a good solution for people with somewhat newer hardware. Meanwhile, some new parts have been ordered. It should be clear in a week or so whether or not this was my roadblock.

Bill-99

Hardware Refresh Gives Partial Success

Post by Bill-99 »

As mentioned earlier, I was planning to upgrade some HTPC hardware to see if that would help on getting that PC to handle ATSC 3.0. After doing that work of the last couple of days (motherboard, CPU, memory, reinstall everything), I ran the HDHomeRun software and changed to one of my local ATSC 3.0 channels. That triggered loading the HEVC Video Extensions, they installed and... yep, this PC can now receive ATSC 3.0 channels.

One item under investigation is the format of video and audio coming out of the HDHomeRun tuner. When output to an external processor (Anthem AVM 60), there is no video or audio. When connected directly to my TV (Samsung KS800D), there once again is no video or audio. But when the HTPC is connected to my inexpensive LG monitor, audio and video are no problem at all.

Not sure what is happening here but it seems likely there's an incompatibility issue of some kind. Any insights on this would be really helpful!

Bill-99

Analog Audio Only?

Post by Bill-99 »

Not sure about this. It looks like connecting audio via analog outputs on the HTPC passes audio (stereo or 5.1) to external gear. Anything in the digital domain appears to cause problems. Is this something to do with AC-4?

petemitchell

WBNS no ATSC 3.0

Post by petemitchell »

I got a response back from an engineer at WBNS. They have no plans to go to ATSC 3.0. Apparently they were partnering with WOSU to transition together, but that plan fell apart when the station was sold to Tegna. According to him, Tegna has flat out stated they are not planning to transition to ATSC 3.0. Of course that is subject to change, but the feeling I got from the rest of the email is that Tegna doesn't want to spend the money.

xmguy
Device ID: 10815046, 1037F17E

Post by xmguy »

nickk wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:01 pm Look for "HEVC Video Extensions" from Microsoft in the app store - it costs $0.99 but should make HEVC content work on your older PC. Note that 4K content will likely require hardware support.

Nick
Does this integrate with Plex yet? Or is that still something Plex+FFmpeg will have to work on to add support?

xmguy
Device ID: 10815046, 1037F17E

Re: WBNS no ATSC 3.0

Post by xmguy »

petemitchell wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:20 pm I got a response back from an engineer at WBNS. They have no plans to go to ATSC 3.0. Apparently they were partnering with WOSU to transition together, but that plan fell apart when the station was sold to Tegna. According to him, Tegna has flat out stated they are not planning to transition to ATSC 3.0. Of course that is subject to change, but the feeling I got from the rest of the email is that Tegna doesn't want to spend the money.
I'll be honest, I worry that the big companies (Nexstar, Scripps, Sinclair, etc), will drop off the ATSC 3.0 bandwagon at some point. Especially since 5G is gobbling up all the available spectrum, and the FCC hasn't made any mandate to change over. Even in 5 years. We tech people, and the engineers love it. But regular folk could care less, and business people even less. Even with the ideas of "Targeted Ads", 4K Subscription, etc. I think it will dry up. To add insult to this, so many of these companies, like Tegna, and Meredith are struggling just to stay on air with what they have now. I hate to sound like a downer. But I feel that ATSC 3.0 will become more like HD Radio. Optional, not required, and unless pushed by TV set manufactures, and or the few stations in the ATSC 3.0 cartel, will collapse in less than 10 years. Probably to 5G.

petemitchell

Post by petemitchell »

Anyone else seeing WSYX gone from the channel list, even after a re-scan?

gchrprime

Post by gchrprime »

petemitchell wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:05 pm Anyone else seeing WSYX gone from the channel list, even after a re-scan?
Same here, 106.1 is missing.

Bill-99

Post by Bill-99 »

I don't recall ever seeing 106.1. What shows up on my channel scan is:
104.1 WCMH
106.3 FOX28
128.1 WTTE
153.1 WWHO

Re: the concerns that ATSC 3.0 could go the way of HD Radio, that does seem possible. Without a mandate like ATSC 1.0 had, there isn't a lot of incentive for stations to take this next step. Even TV manufacturers are slow to embed ATSC 3.0 tuners in anything but the higher end products. Even if it becomes ubiquitous in the hardware, there are so few people that actually know what this is it could die from apathy. Very frustrating situation.

FWIW I have managed to get the HDHomeRun tuner to work with an LG CX model TV where it is seen as another input. The 4K video quality really pops. Not sure what the audio quality is but my gear only supports ARC, not eARC, so by the time audio hits my processor it's DD+. It's not an optimal situation but it does show the potential of this format. Lastly, still no luck getting the built-in tuner in a Sony x900h to handle ATSC 3.0.

rclust

Post by rclust »

What happened to channel 6?

Jizzylax

Post by Jizzylax »

Bill-99 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:20 pm I don't recall ever seeing 106.1. What shows up on my channel scan is:
104.1 WCMH
106.3 FOX28
128.1 WTTE
153.1 WWHO

Re: the concerns that ATSC 3.0 could go the way of HD Radio, that does seem possible. Without a mandate like ATSC 1.0 had, there isn't a lot of incentive for stations to take this next step. Even TV manufacturers are slow to embed ATSC 3.0 tuners in anything but the higher end products. Even if it becomes ubiquitous in the hardware, there are so few people that actually know what this is it could die from apathy. Very frustrating situation.

FWIW I have managed to get the HDHomeRun tuner to work with an LG CX model TV where it is seen as another input. The 4K video quality really pops. Not sure what the audio quality is but my gear only supports ARC, not eARC, so by the time audio hits my processor it's DD+. It's not an optimal situation but it does show the potential of this format. Lastly, still no luck getting the built-in tuner in a Sony x900h to handle ATSC 3.0.
Any luck with the Sony X900H and ATSC 3.0 yet? I'm still not able to get any channels...