ATSC 3.0: Raleigh/Durham - Jan 2021

ATSC 3.0 Forum
csdesigns

Re: ATSC 3.0: Raleigh/Durham - Jan 2021

Post by csdesigns »

Trip wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:28 pm RabbitEars is only as updated as local sources allow. To the extent I can't find a local source, it's not updated. Contrary to popular belief, I'm not omniscient, but in places where I have regular contacts, I do think I'm pretty on top of things as a general matter.

With ATSC 3.0, the big problem right now is lack of analysis tools. TSReader makes collecting and updating technical data on RabbitEars a cinch. No equivalent tool exists for ATSC 3.0 at this point, so I'm mostly going by the limited reports posted on forums like this one. It's even harder when the few tools we actually do have, like VLC, don't actually report properly what they're seeing.

- Trip
I hope I didn't offend you Trip. That wasn't my intent – just trying to state some facts on the local OTA situation here in RDU. By no means do I expect you to be able to cover every station in every market. Your site is very helpful, and I hope you are able to continue the great work. If you need another point of contact in this market, feel free to PM me. I have recently done a thorough analysis of the ATSC 1.0 and 3.0 situation here, and I have access to way more tools than just TSReader Pro (and that is not a slight against TSReader).

csdesigns

Post by csdesigns »

Crash*N*Burn wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:32 pm As of February 2021, I am now able to get audio from the HEVC 1xx channels on my shield 2015. I uninstalled the version I had loaded and reinstalled the application and now able to get audio.
I have three 2015 Shields. On one of them, I have been able to decode AC-4 audio since Dec. But on the other two, it is a no-go. I haven't really fussed with uninstalling / reinstalling however. Thanks for the tip.

Trip

Post by Trip »

csdesigns wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:58 pm I hope I didn't offend you Trip. That wasn't my intent – just trying to state some facts on the local OTA situation here in RDU. By no means do I expect you to be able to cover every station in every market. Your site is very helpful, and I hope you are able to continue the great work. If you need another point of contact in this market, feel free to PM me. I have recently done a thorough analysis of the ATSC 1.0 and 3.0 situation here, and I have access to way more tools than just TSReader Pro (and that is not a slight against TSReader).
Not at all; I wasn't offended. I just wanted to clarify that I do what I can and that I have fewer inside sources than some people seem to believe. (I've had a few people involved with TV stations who do sort of drive-by "it's wrong" without explaining how to make it right. That's most irritating.)

To the extent you see things that need update or correction, please feel free to e-mail me with it. I'm always glad to make updates or corrections, just that a lot of people don't check that often and I don't want to pester people. Quite frankly, I don't check my own local stations (DC/Baltimore) that often; I'm planning my next TSReader update for them later this month, then another update just after WIAV-CD and WNUV go to 3.0 so I can properly reflect the new arrangements.

And yes, TSReader is an excellent tool (I pay for Standard), and I also have access to other tools. But TSReader meets my needs on RabbitEars, and it's great for documenting what each station is doing.

- Trip

Crash*N*Burn

Post by Crash*N*Burn »

csdesigns wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:00 pm
Crash*N*Burn wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:32 pm As of February 2021, I am now able to get audio from the HEVC 1xx channels on my shield 2015. I uninstalled the version I had loaded and reinstalled the application and now able to get audio.
I have three 2015 Shields. On one of them, I have been able to decode AC-4 audio since Dec. But on the other two, it is a no-go. I haven't really fussed with uninstalling / reinstalling however. Thanks for the tip.
I don't know if thats what did it, I just know prior to the 1st of Feb, when I was posting audio issues in the forums and I just thought I'd remove it and reinstall and it worked.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

Back when I worked at SD I used to send Trip an email about once a month with dozens of changes from channel scan data. Always figured it was good to give back for as much as I used the site to analyze people's issues.

youngota

Post by youngota »

New HDHomeRun customer with the 4K. Apologies in advance for the layman terms that I am going to use compared to some on this board.

At my house, in Chapel Hill, we have long used a Tivo to capture OTA. For years we had a Roamio and, when that died, a replacement Bolt. For portions of the year (the winter months), the 'ABC' channel would pixelate badly (generally at night and in the mornings) despite having a good external antenna installed outside. When CBS switched to channel 17.1, we also saw choppier reception at certain times seasonally. While the Roamio's reception was never great, the Tivo Bolt seemed to have even worse tuner reception to the point that in the winter months we would sign up with a streaming service for broadcast networks (again, GMA in the morning is big in our household). The Bolt is also unloved in our household for its newer UI which we find more confusing than the older Roamio's user interface.

I bought the HDHomeRun 4K to see how the ATSC 3.0 channels that are now common in the Raleigh-Durham area would work. At my house, using the HDHomeRun 4k tuner the normal ATSC 1 ABC and CBS channels are still pixelated in the mornings and evenings - noticeably better than the Tivo Bolt but still not smooth. However, the ATSC 3.0 versions of these same channels (111.1 and 117.1) are great - smooth, no pixelation, etc.. While I have found the HDHomeRun windows 10 app to be okay, I have found the 'Channels' app (which is free for an iphone) to be stellar - pulling in the ATSC 1 and 3 channels great with a good guide. I don't own an Apple TV 4K yet, but am strongly considering purchasing one given that I think there is now a solution to my longtime ABC and CBS 'winter morning/evenings' pixelation problems --- I'm just sort of dithering b/c the Apple TV 4K box dates to 2017 and might be replaced soon by Apple, however on the Channels form the devs there indicate that - among all the streaming boxes that Channels is available on, the Apple TV 4K is the one that they most recommend.

Anyways, just thought I'd drop my experience with the HD HomeRun 4K tuner. I am finding that the newer HVEC channels deliver reception at times where the ATSC 1.0 channels were choppy/pixelated (and choppy sound) to the point of being unwatchable.

DigitalBrad

Post by DigitalBrad »

youngota wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:56 pm New HDHomeRun customer with the 4K. Apologies in advance for the layman terms that I am going to use compared to some on this board.

At my house, in Chapel Hill, we have long used a Tivo to capture OTA. For years we had a Roamio and, when that died, a replacement Bolt. For portions of the year (the winter months), the 'ABC' channel would pixelate badly (generally at night and in the mornings) despite having a good external antenna installed outside. When CBS switched to channel 17.1, we also saw choppier reception at certain times seasonally. While the Roamio's reception was never great, the Tivo Bolt seemed to have even worse tuner reception to the point that in the winter months we would sign up with a streaming service for broadcast networks (again, GMA in the morning is big in our household). The Bolt is also unloved in our household for its newer UI which we find more confusing than the older Roamio's user interface.

I bought the HDHomeRun 4K to see how the ATSC 3.0 channels that are now common in the Raleigh-Durham area would work. At my house, using the HDHomeRun 4k tuner the normal ATSC 1 ABC and CBS channels are still pixelated in the mornings and evenings - noticeably better than the Tivo Bolt but still not smooth. However, the ATSC 3.0 versions of these same channels (111.1 and 117.1) are great - smooth, no pixelation, etc.. While I have found the HDHomeRun windows 10 app to be okay, I have found the 'Channels' app (which is free for an iphone) to be stellar - pulling in the ATSC 1 and 3 channels great with a good guide. I don't own an Apple TV 4K yet, but am strongly considering purchasing one given that I think there is now a solution to my longtime ABC and CBS 'winter morning/evenings' pixelation problems --- I'm just sort of dithering b/c the Apple TV 4K box dates to 2017 and might be replaced soon by Apple, however on the Channels form the devs there indicate that - among all the streaming boxes that Channels is available on, the Apple TV 4K is the one that they most recommend.

Anyways, just thought I'd drop my experience with the HD HomeRun 4K tuner. I am finding that the newer HVEC channels deliver reception at times where the ATSC 1.0 channels were choppy/pixelated (and choppy sound) to the point of being unwatchable.
I use Channels DVR / Apple TV 4K and FireTV Stick 4K and love it. I would wait until the March 16 (?) Apple event to see if they release a new AppleTV and get the newest model. I set up Channels DVR on a WD NAS PR2100 and it is a wonderful setup. They are quick to innovate and it works well on mobile and any device I own.

youngota

Post by youngota »

DigitalBrad wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:57 am
youngota wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:56 pm New HDHomeRun customer with the 4K. Apologies in advance for the layman terms that I am going to use compared to some on this board.

I use Channels DVR / Apple TV 4K and FireTV Stick 4K and love it. I would wait until the March 16 (?) Apple event to see if they release a new AppleTV and get the newest model. I set up Channels DVR on a WD NAS PR2100 and it is a wonderful setup. They are quick to innovate and it works well on mobile and any device I own.
How is the FireTV Stick 4K with Channels vs the Apple TV 4K? Do you have a preference? The FireTV Stick is a LOT less expensive than the Apple TV...

DigitalBrad

Post by DigitalBrad »

youngota wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:17 pm

How is the FireTV Stick 4K with Channels vs the Apple TV 4K? Do you have a preference? The FireTV Stick is a LOT less expensive than the Apple TV...
I 100% prefer the AppleTV 4K because of the other Apps and the Channels experience. Honestly, the FireTV 4K Stick is really good though. Perfect for second tv or remote location viewing. The Channels team puts out great Apps that work really well. There is a possibility Apple will release a stick version of the AppleTV 4K. If you're a Prime member, you can get a great deal on the 4K FireStick. Even if you start with a stick, you can pick up an AppleTV later and use both.

youngota

Post by youngota »

youngota wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:17 pm

Thanks for your insight.

CEG3

Post by CEG3 »

I'm in the Raleigh/Durham market and I've been hovering over the buy button for a couple of months. I'm finding it hard to spend 200.00 for 3.0 if I'm not getting much for my money at this point. I would like to upgrade from two to four tuners. I know we now have a number of stations onboard, though I think I was told they are sharing two different towers, so the broadcasts may not be optimal yet, and PBS is about to drop. Anybody recommend or not recommend buying the tuner at this point? I've been watching for refurbished on the website, but so far no joy.

csdesigns

Post by csdesigns »

youngota wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:56 pm When CBS switched to channel 17.1, we also saw choppier reception at certain times seasonally.
I'm guessing you mean that CBS coming through on 17.1 was less reliable than it used to be on 5.1? 17.1, which previously was the NBC affiliate, should not have had a change in signal due to this switch (which was only due to parent company business dealings).
youngota wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:56 pm However, the ATSC 3.0 versions of these same channels (111.1 and 117.1) are great - smooth, no pixelation, etc..
The ATSC 3.0 broadcast tower is different from the ATSC 1.0 tower for these channels, so this probably is the primary reason why you are now getting better reception (+ some likely advantages to ATSC 3.0 transmission in general).
youngota wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:56 pm While I have found the HDHomeRun windows 10 app to be okay, I have found the 'Channels' app (which is free for an iphone) to be stellar - pulling in the ATSC 1 and 3 channels great with a good guide.
Indeed. The free Channels app is a very good companion to the HDHomerun tuners. But even better is the paid DVR version. It's not prefect, but well worth the yearly cost I pay for it – and support is top notch. May be worth checking out if you're looking to ditch Tivo.
youngota wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:56 pm I don't own an Apple TV 4K yet, but am strongly considering purchasing one given that I think there is now a solution to my longtime ABC and CBS 'winter morning/evenings' pixelation problems --- I'm just sort of dithering b/c the Apple TV 4K box dates to 2017 and might be replaced soon by Apple, however on the Channels form the devs there indicate that - among all the streaming boxes that Channels is available on, the Apple TV 4K is the one that they most recommend.
Channels is indeed designed to run best on tvOS. I also run Channels on Android TV (Nvidia Shield), and the experience there is quite good too (could use some minor refinements though). If not wanting to spend the money on an Apple TV or Nvidia Shield, I've heard good things about the new Google TV devices, which are considerably cheaper (not referring to the older Chromecast devices FYI).

csdesigns

Post by csdesigns »

DigitalBrad wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:57 am I use Channels DVR / Apple TV 4K and FireTV Stick 4K and love it. I would wait until the March 16 (?) Apple event to see if they release a new AppleTV and get the newest model. I set up Channels DVR on a WD NAS PR2100 and it is a wonderful setup. They are quick to innovate and it works well on mobile and any device I own.
While I'll agree that there is no point in buying an Apple TV right now with a supposed event soon to happen, I also wouldn't necessarily get my hopes too much up that a new Apple TV device is ever coming. Let's face it, a new Apple TV device has been ready for well over a year now, but Apple's strategy into this market has considerably changed. They have a great UI with a strong platform, but have never been willing to do what it takes to make the Apple TV a truly across-the-market impactful product – which primarily comes down to cost. It very much seems that releasing a stick/tube/dongle-type device was just something that they weren't willing to compromise on, so instead, they decided to abandon their OS dreams and focus solely on getting the app out onto as many devices as possible. Given the low profits to be made from these devices, it's hard to blame them.
DigitalBrad wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:57 am Honestly, the FireTV 4K Stick is really good though. Perfect for second tv or remote location viewing. The Channels team puts out great Apps that work really well.
I'd say the Channels app on FireTV Stick is not a problem, in-and-of itself. But in actual practice with the Stick (or any of the Fire TV devices for that matter), operation can be much more of a chore than it is on other platforms such as the Shield or tvOS. Primary reason for this is due to how fireOS handles storage, or lack thereof once you load the thing with a lot of apps. The Channels DVR app buffers onto the internal Fire TV's memory, and I've found that it doesn't always get wiped once a viewing session completes. This has created loads of headaches for me with repeated 'low storage' warnings. (There may be a way to reduce this issue, but my Fire TV devices get so little use that I haven't fully bothered with seeing if there is more permanent solution to this – and no, external SD cards on even the standalone box units to provide much greater available space doesn't suffice.)

csdesigns

Post by csdesigns »

CEG3 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:20 pm I'm in the Raleigh/Durham market and I've been hovering over the buy button for a couple of months. I'm finding it hard to spend 200.00 for 3.0 if I'm not getting much for my money at this point. I would like to upgrade from two to four tuners. I know we now have a number of stations onboard, though I think I was told they are sharing two different towers, so the broadcasts may not be optimal yet, and PBS is about to drop. Anybody recommend or not recommend buying the tuner at this point? I've been watching for refurbished on the website, but so far no joy.
I'll preface this by saying that I own 5 SD tuner products (including 2 of the ATSC 3.0 models). If I was solely looking for a reliable quad-based OTA tuner to receive broadcasts today, the ATSC 3.0 model would not be worth the extra $50 or so to me over the ATSC 1.0-only devices. But that is my feeling on this today. It'll probably be my feeling on this tomorrow. And probably the same a year or two from now. But the question comes if we're now in 2024 or 2025, would the ATSC 3.0 model be a better buy, then most likely (hopefully), the answer to that will be an unequivocal yes. Basically, this is to say that I wouldn't recommend buying the ATSC 3.0 model for ATSC 3.0 broadcasts today (this has nothing to do with SiliconDust and only very little to do with the actual hardware; it all revolves around the current state of ATSC 3.0).

The audio issues alone can break the WAP factor – some apps do a decent job, but I haven't found a single one on any of my devices where I've felt like the AC-4 sounded better than the AC-3 from a ATSC 1.0 channel. This is due to the nescient nature AC-4 decoding today, where there is an extreme lack of external decoding options available. AC-4, when properly decoded, sounds phenomenal. My company has a Dolby-certified decoding studio, and our AC-4 vs AC-3/E-AC3/DTS comparisons has shown lots of promise for AC-4, where audio sounds better at even significantly reduced bit rates. But until there is better sw-decoding options available, or hw decode/transcode becomes more widely available, AC-4 is going to be a very underwhelming experience for most users (IMHO).

Regarding the actual ATSC 3.0 hardware SD has produced, the only real issue I have with it (besides the NIC being limited to 100mbps – which isn't a problem for ATSC 3.0, it is more an interoperability issue with my 10G network switch) is the tuning speed from one channel to the next. I know SD is working on constantly improving the firmware of the device, but this is something that I have a really hard time believing can be fixed in fw for this generation of tuners. The tuning of an ATSC 3.0 channel can take a long time, especially if the two channels are from different towers.

So, given all that, and the fact that you already have one unit, would not a second dual-tuner unit be a decent choice, at least in the interim until the entire ATSC 3.0 market matures or maybe there is a second-gen ATSC 3.0 available? If you bought a second dual-tuner unit, which I have seen at times for only ~$50-60, you could add that to the current unit you have on your network and have 4 available tuners. Most decent DVR sw these days will also allow you to easily manage the multiple devices and the respective channels received to avoid conflicts.

CEG3

Post by CEG3 »

This is all very good information. Slow tuning is already enough to cause me to stick with SD DVR software instead of the painfully slow Plex tuning. Plex also transcodes the video, so SD looks better. I'm basically happy with SD DVR software and maybe the bug that bothers me the most is if you only have two tuners and delete two recordings in progress you can't tune a channel until the scheduled recording time ends. Even a power cycle doesn't re-enable TV watching until then. This is the reason I began to think about a quad.

You made a lot of sense suggesting buying a second SD dual tuner for no more than 99 dollars new. I considered this a while back I thought about it last night and my desire is real world TV tuning and much less so enthusiast interests in 3.0. I have been thinking it makes no sense to buy a quad tuner now and it not be the 3.0 tuner. I do worry about having to split my signal if I buy another dual. I am using the Clear Stream 2V 60 miler indoors and it's the best antenna I've ever used in this house over 10 years. I can watch FMY and GHP in downtown Cary almost as reliably as RAL. I even tuned in Greenville for a while but it was there for a week and has never come back, though my tuner still finds 7.1. Fortunately my tuner is on the same dresser at a west window that the antenna is, so the run is 3 or 4 ft. I did split it once and I don't think I noticed any loss, but common sense tells me splitting is not likely to improve things (unless maybe your signal is too strong and then splitting might improve things).

It sounds like the 3.0 tuner is not completely reliable to begin with and you made no mention of extra programming, 4K, and etc. I think 4K is good while away and your comments make me realize I might get more life out of a 1.0 tuner i bought today than thought I would.

I might just decide to pick up a refurbished quad from SD for 129.99. My dual is one of the older Connects. I know the only difference in that one and the newer one is the housing. The card is the same I was told. A quad would make it easier and ease my splitting concerns and save me the cost of a 30 foot run of Ethernet cable.