Please fix the product descriptions

ATSC 3.0 Forum
soulcacher

Please fix the product descriptions

Post by soulcacher »

The product description on the main page and the purchase page should be updated with this text in bold red:

HDHR software does not yet support ATSC 3.0 audio (AC-4). HEVC cannot be disabled (falling back to ATSC 1.0.). If you live in a city with HEVC channels, you will have audio issues unless your system supports AC-4 Passthrough (most don't).

Personally, the 4K system is unusable. 3 of our 4 main broadcast stations in Las Vegas are already HEVC, and the only audio I'm getting is very weak on the Left channel (regardless of system/software). If it had been noted that you were still having issues, I wouldn't have purchased the tuner (yet), and wouldn't be frustrated now.

I don't care if it's resolved by allowing me to temporarily fall back to ATSC 1.0, or by building an audio setting into your software that transcodes AC-4 to a more broadly accepted standard (like AC-3). But something has to get fixed, my fingers are crossed for the firmware that was supposed to come last week.

As a note I've tried it on my Shield (preferred platform), Mac, Apple TV, iPad, and Pixel 4a5g, using HDHR software, Channels, and even Plex (which has no audio at all, as noted in the forums). Regardless of the system/software, I only get weak audio on the left speakers when on any HEVC channel.

Honestly, I don't want to have to return this thing, I just want it to work - but I'm afraid I'll have to return it soon b/c the return window will close.

nickk
Silicondust

Re: Please fix the product descriptions

Post by nickk »

Hi,

You can select any ATSC 1.0 or any ATSC 3.0 channel. ATSC 3.0 channels have been moved to 100+. Please install the latest firmware and run a new channel scan.

Audio is supported on XBox One consoles, Apple TV 4K devices, 2019 and newer LG televisions, most Windows 10 devices, some Mac, iPhone, and iPad devices, many Android devices, and many FireTV devices.

Audio not working or only out one speaker - for Windows 10, XBox One, and Apple TV 4K - please install the latest app from the app store. Android or FireTV - please watch for the new app scheduled to be released tomorrow.

Nick - Silicondust

Jedi71

Post by Jedi71 »

Hi Nick, just a quick thank you. The 1.0 / 3.0 split is working great.

soulcacher

Post by soulcacher »

Thanks, Nick. I apparently posted my request as you were releasing the firmware. Installing now.

boardrashx

Post by boardrashx »

[posts from this account are not displayed]

wriede
Device ID: 1080A4A8

Post by wriede »

boardrashx wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:01 pm
nickk wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:58 pm Audio is supported on XBox One consoles, Apple TV 4K devices, 2019 and newer LG televisions, most Windows 10 devices, some Mac, iPhone, and iPad devices, many Android devices, and many FireTV devices.

Nick - Silicondust
[removed by moderator - see forum rules]
"Many" is not the same as "most". It can be true at the same time that many android or whatever devices DO and many DO NOT support the AC4 audio at this time. I have to defend Nick here - Nick, I appreciate the hard work you're putting in. Thank you.

boardrashx

Post by boardrashx »

[posts from this account are not displayed]

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

There are 11 Fire TV models that support audio (ie many Fire TV devices).

We are working to compile a list of Android devices known to support audio.

Nick