Nvidia shield crashes on HEVC channels (Detroit area)

ATSC 3.0 Forum
cincylion

Nvidia shield crashes on HEVC channels (Detroit area)

Post by cincylion »

Nvidia shield 2017 and 2019 crashes and closes back to Android TV home screen when tuning HEVC channels.
Device ID: 1080C0F8
Version: 20201215(App)/20201216b(UI)(beta)
Also, when attempting to playback a HEVC recording, I get a black screen displaying Audio only.
Send diagnostic information is set to on.
Shield Android TV SW Version 8.2.1

(Edit) Same behavior on my FireTV 4k.
(Edit) Crashes on version 20201217 also, same behavior when playing a HEVC recording Audio only

cincylion

Re: Nvidia shield crashes on HEVC channels (Detroit area)

Post by cincylion »

Is this the correct forum to post information like this?

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Does it play ok on Windows 10?

Nick

cincylion

Post by cincylion »

Yes, Windows 10 works for both live HEVC channels and HEVC recordings.

(Edit) Also works on XBox One S for live TV and recordings.

(Edit) Also works on my LG OLED55B7A for live TV and recordings.

cincylion

Post by cincylion »

My Nvidia Shields and FireTV both play video (no audio as expected) in Kodi 18.9 with both Hdhomerun addons.
I normally run the DVR engine on a WD MyCloud single disc NAS.
I added a DVR engine to my 2017 Nvidia Shield and disabled the MyCloud and the Hdhomerun app still crashes on the shields and FireTV.
The Hdhomerun app also crashes on my Galaxy S10 running Android 10.
The Channels DVR app plays video and audio on the Shields and FireTV.
If you need anymore information let me know.
Thanks.

Edit 1/5/21 Crashes fixed with 12/29/20 update. Audio working on both Nvidia Shields and Galaxy S10E.
Last edited by cincylion on Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dartman

Post by Dartman »

My 2017 Shield is doing similar, one of my Android devices plays audio but no video, Android 10 tablet. Phone on Android 8 says some kind of driver error and plays nothing. Hope we get some updates soon for the non or barely working devices that can handle AC4. I'm in the Portland Or area.

kyl416
Device ID: 1080DB11

Post by kyl416 »

The 2017 Shield won't be able to handle AC4 audio without passthru to an AVR or TV that has AC4 decoding since Nvidia only paid for a Dolby license for their 2019 models.

The Android Phone depends on if your manufacturer paid for a Dolby license for your specific model, but if your device never received the upgrade to Pie/Android 9, it might have missed the cutoff. (i.e. my Galaxy Tab S2 from 2015 that stopped getting updates with Nougat doesn't support AC-4, but my cheap prepaid Galaxy J3 Phone from 2018 does) You can see if your device has AC-4 support by installing "Media Codec Info" from the play store and looking for "AC4" under the Audio list and "OMX.dolby.ac4.decoder" or something else that ends with ".ac4.decoder" under the Codec List.

Dartman

Post by Dartman »

Thanks for that. My new 2019 Tab A has AC4 support with Android 10, my 2018? Moto Android 8 G5plus does not. However my tablet only plays audio so something else is missing I guess and it shows HEVC support as well. Lotta things have to be right and playing nice together for everything to work.

swmarks

Post by swmarks »

It's doing it in Oklahoma City too. 12/17 app on Shield TV Pro 2019.

mrquietus

Post by mrquietus »

I am in Nashville market and recently updated to the latest tuner firmware. (20210105) I am getting audio on multiple channels (HEVC) here with Shield TV Pro. I recently purchased it, I don't know how many versions of it are floating around. So maybe it is the 2019 version. Tegra X1+ is listed. This might be a known thing the 2021 firmware release fixed, not certain.
Last edited by mrquietus on Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thully

Post by thully »

I saw this same issue on older versions of the HDHomeRun app/firmware on the Chromecast with Google TV (which also runs Android TV). The January updates to software/firmware have fixed that and now I get audio and video on HEVC channels, though now I’m seeing a new set of an issues (mostly intermittent “no data” when tuning to HEVC channels and crashing after 10-20 minutes, as well as laggy frame rate on a couple channels).