How do you justify the 4K in the shop.

ATSC 3.0 Forum
Crash*N*Burn

How do you justify the 4K in the shop.

Post by Crash*N*Burn »

https://shop.silicondust.com/shop/produ ... -hdhr5-4k/

How do you justify the 4K device in the shop when 90% of the text is misleading at best???

According to the sales page I should be about to use it with ANY device. So update the Android app so I can see all the channels my tuner can see on my LG V35 ThinQ!!!

NedS
Silicondust

Re: How do you justify the 4K in the shop.

Post by NedS »

Everything stated on that page is factual.

Crash*N*Burn

Post by Crash*N*Burn »

Maybe factual, misleading at best!

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

What specifically do you think is miss-leading?

There will be 4K content - networks we are talking to are promising 4K content and we are seeing 4K content at test events.

ATSC 1 has HD but not every ATSC 1 channel is HD, Likewise ATSC 3 has 4K but not every ATSC 3 channel will be 4K.

Nick

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

I find nothing wrong with it but it might be nice for a disclaimer about AC4 and HEVC device/plex compatibility for AC3 stations but everything in there isn't really misleading to most looking for an ATSC 3.0 tuner but one would have to know about the HEVC/AC4 challenges... but again, such isn't really misleading but may be a point to consider if choosing between the hdhr5-4US and hdhr5-4k and if the $50-$100 difference makes sense for now.

If I was a new HDHomeRun user at $50 difference I think it a no brainer to get the updated unit or else I would need a new one within a couple of years... but there have often been sales on the quatro that may make it up to a $100 difference that may make a user wait and in a couple of years have both when they really probably should wait into jumping to ATSC 3.0. On top of that in 2 years there may be an update to 4 tuners for ATSC 3.0 and/or the price comes down to replace the regular quatro.

Unfortunately a brand new HDHomeRun user may find a better experience at this time to not mess with the ATSC 3.0 things. But for me this adoption of new technologies is part of the fun in getting it now. it would probably be a bit better when the (supposed) new firmware that allows both ATSC 1.0 and 3.0 channels of the same number be accessed for some of the possibly problematic devices/platforms listed when such would be their only device to allow the channel be accessed more easily as many things now do import the channel list rather than use legacy methods to generate such list... for some it is a mess right now that to me the fix would almost always want the URL for an ATSC3.0 station to add &ATSC3 to it, otherwise default to the 1.0 channel (though for me personally since I have so many other tuners, this doesn't affect me as much as by default as nothing is using the ATSC 3.0 channels (yet) unless I use other means but am thinking for the users who have just the one device and don't have software/clients/devices that are really capable of 3.0. To implement this it would probably also require a setting in the DVR to try and default to ATSC 3.0 or not. Eventually it would probably would be best to default to ATSC3 everywhere but for the casual user that time isn't now.

Crash*N*Burn

Post by Crash*N*Burn »

Legally nothing is wrong. But as you are trying to sell this product to the masses and until you are able to allow users to use or not use the atsc3.0 signals this product is a marketing nightmare. Yes this works GREAT in any atsc1.0 market, but very problematic from a marketing point of view.

I'm not trying to kill this product, but keep it from being killed do to a lack understanding of basic marketing. Building a better mouse is only useful if layman can use it easily. That can't be said of this product. So if someone has a really back experience and feel like that they were mislead, 1 bad experience will be shared with 10 people. While 10 good experiences might get shared once. Marketing 101.

We all believed in this product to be early adopters, and if I was a new customer on your website and bought this I would be very unhappy with my purchase.

I know the pitfalls of bleeding edge, there's a reason why it's called the bleeding edge.

The criticism is founded in logic and to hopefully make the experience for John & jane Doe painless.