ATSC 3.0 in Norfolk

ATSC 3.0 Forum
OTA_VA

ATSC 3.0 in Norfolk

Post by OTA_VA »

According to news feeds, 4 Norfolk, VA stations went live with ATSC 3.0 on Nov 20, 2020. The questions are:

- after I scan for channels will there be an indication of which channels are ATSC 3.0?
- is there some identifier in the stats that indicates ATSC 3.0?
- I use the HDHR5-4K tuners with Channels app (not the dvr), Windows app. and Plex. Can I expect to see something ATSC 3.0 related on these?
- which tuners (0, 1?) handle ATSC 3.0 and ATSC 1.0)?

Thanks.

This brightens up a strange year!

darcilicious

Re: ATSC 3.0 in Norfolk

Post by darcilicious »

OTA_VA wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:58 am - after I scan for channels will there be an indication of which channels are ATSC 3.0?
Yes on the tuner Channel Lineup page each ATSC 3.0 channel will be labeled with HEVC HD.
- I use the HDHR5-4K tuners with Channels app (not the dvr), Windows app. and Plex. Can I expect to see something ATSC 3.0 related on these?
You will need the beta Channels server and possibly beta Channels client assuming your hardware supports AC4 audio (e.g. AppleTV 4K).
I believe you will need to get the HDHomeRun app from the Microsoft App Store. Plex isn’t currently capable of decoding AC4 (they’re reliant on ffmpeg software which isn’t currently supporting AC4 audio) so you’ll get video but no audio via Plex.
- which tuners (0, 1?) handle ATSC 3.0 and ATSC 1.0)?
0,1 will do 3.0 and all four will do 1.0

OTA_VA

Re: ATSC 3.0 in Norfolk

Post by OTA_VA »

Thanks for your reply.

I emailed the WAVY-TV engineer and he responded that (only?) WNLO is up on ATSC 3.0 and it is a low power (FCC application says about 15KW) channel. It's RF channel 14 and virtual channel 45. Took weak and too distant for me to receive.

As demand and viewers increase, more ATSC 3.0 will come along.