ATSC 3.0: Raleigh/Durham - 2020

ATSC 3.0 Forum
DigitalBrad

Re: ATSC 3.0: Raleigh/Durham

Post by DigitalBrad »

NedS wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:04 am
DigitalBrad wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:13 pm Thank you. So do you have to have DEV firmware to view the GUI? I'm thrilled they are giving more BW to WRAZ.
If you mean the HDHomeRun Setup utility, no, you don't need a dev model, but you do need Windows. The Mac version no longer works in Mac OS.
I have Parallels / Windows 10. Will that work? What is the link?

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

DigitalBrad wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:38 am
NedS wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:04 am
DigitalBrad wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:13 pm Thank you. So do you have to have DEV firmware to view the GUI? I'm thrilled they are giving more BW to WRAZ.
If you mean the HDHomeRun Setup utility, no, you don't need a dev model, but you do need Windows. The Mac version no longer works in Mac OS.
I have Parallels / Windows 10. Will that work? What is the link?
That will work. Just make sure the network connection of the VM is set to "bridge" so that it will be seen as part of the same network.

Installer: https://download.silicondust.com/hdhome ... indows.exe

DigitalBrad

Post by DigitalBrad »

krv wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:16 pm
DigitalBrad wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:42 am Looks like WRAZ is live on 50.2 but I can't see it. When is Silicon Dust going to address this? Can you post the details for WRAZ like you did on the others? Do you have DEV firmware to run the GUI?
sure, here you go:

Virtual Channel 50.2 WRAZ*
Frequency 527.000 MHz
Program Number 46
Modulation Lock atsc3
Signal Strength 85%
Signal Quality 100%
Symbol Quality 100%
Streaming Rate 1.579 Mbps

50.2 is an SD channel.

50.1 on rf 23 is 1080p here is the info on that one:

Virtual Channel 50.1 WRAZ**
Frequency 527.000 MHz
Program Number 10
Modulation Lock atsc3
Signal Strength 83%
Signal Quality 100%
Symbol Quality 100%
Streaming Rate 8.243 Mbps

I got the GUI program up and working on a Mac using Parallels. I can tune the SD via VLC stuff, but not the 1080p feeds. They both say no data. Not sure if my signal needs to be stronger for 1080p version or not.

krv

Post by krv »

DigitalBrad wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:07 am
krv wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:16 pm
DigitalBrad wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:42 am Looks like WRAZ is live on 50.2 but I can't see it. When is Silicon Dust going to address this? Can you post the details for WRAZ like you did on the others? Do you have DEV firmware to run the GUI?
sure, here you go:

Virtual Channel 50.2 WRAZ*
Frequency 527.000 MHz
Program Number 46
Modulation Lock atsc3
Signal Strength 85%
Signal Quality 100%
Symbol Quality 100%
Streaming Rate 1.579 Mbps

50.2 is an SD channel.

50.1 on rf 23 is 1080p here is the info on that one:

Virtual Channel 50.1 WRAZ**
Frequency 527.000 MHz
Program Number 10
Modulation Lock atsc3
Signal Strength 83%
Signal Quality 100%
Symbol Quality 100%
Streaming Rate 8.243 Mbps

I got the GUI program up and working on a Mac using Parallels. I can tune the SD via VLC stuff, but not the 1080p feeds. They both say no data. Not sure if my signal needs to be stronger for 1080p version or not.

try checking the PLP checkboxes

DigitalBrad

Post by DigitalBrad »

[/quote]

try checking the PLP checkboxes
[/quote]

What's that? I don't really see any options on GUI. I have gotten 5.1 / 50.1 to play once on my LG OLED HD Homerun app. I have 2 tuners (4K / Quatro) active and defaults to the ATSC 1.0 feeds. I have a support ticket in with SD, hope they have a fix.

Here's 5.1. I have a VERY weak signal.

Virtual Channel none
Frequency 527.000 MHz
Program Number 10

Modulation Lock atsc3
Signal Strength 31%
Signal Quality 77%
Symbol Quality 100%

Streaming Rate none
Resource Lock none

50.2 plays fine

Virtual Channel none
Frequency 527.000 MHz
Program Number 46

Modulation Lock atsc3
Signal Strength 28%
Signal Quality 77%
Symbol Quality 100%

Streaming Rate 1.242 Mbps
Resource Lock none

aldamon

Post by aldamon »

We have two Fire Stick 4Ks, Windows 10 HTPC, Windows 10 gaming PC, Android phone. Windows 10 squished video was fixed but only has audio on one speaker on HEVC channel. My other Windows 10 gaming computer, I can't even get video acceleration to work with my 3080 on any channels but that's the least of my worries. Fire Sticks no go entirely with HEVC stations. Black screen. Android on an LG G8, video but no audio.

How do I disable the HEVC tuners until this is all ready for primetime? We went to watch WNCN this morning and just been pulling my hair out. WNCN doesn't even split out its ATSC 1.0 channel from its 3.0 in the guide. This is destroying all WAF confidence in this setup. I'm an early adapter, but this also my first HDHomerun. I just want to go back to 1.0 only if possible.

krv

Post by krv »

aldamon wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:44 am We have two Fire Stick 4Ks, Windows 10 HTPC, Windows 10 gaming PC, Android phone. Windows 10 squished video was fixed but only has audio on one speaker on HEVC channel. My other Windows 10 gaming computer, I can't even get video acceleration to work with my 3080 on any channels but that's the least of my worries. Fire Sticks no go entirely with HEVC stations. Black screen. Android on an LG G8, video but no audio.

How do I disable the HEVC tuners until this is all ready for primetime? We went to watch WNCN this morning and just been pulling my hair out. WNCN doesn't even split out its ATSC 1.0 channel from its 3.0 in the guide. This is destroying all WAF confidence in this setup. I'm an early adapter, but this also my first HDHomerun. I just want to go back to 1.0 only if possible.
This is a known problem and there really isn't a very good work about yet, though it looks like one will be released soon, check you viewtopic.php?f=133&t=74778 for info. You can disable any channel in the web interface under 'lineup' and then click the 'star' until an 'x' appears, however this will only disable the hvec channel, you still won't get the atsc 1.0 channel until the firmware update mentioned in viewtopic.php?f=133&t=74778 is available. you can manually tune the atsc 1.0 channel using the windows program 'HDHomeRun Config Gui'. just enter the rf channel number select the subchannel and click 'view' you may need to setup a app to view the channel, i use VLC. This may not be an option available to you, but i use an old HDHomeRun CONNECT to tune atsc 1.0 channels on devices that don't yet work with atsc 3.0. Such is the plight of the early adopter.

aldamon

Post by aldamon »

I guess I'll keep waiting, but I think the devs need to tap the brakes here a bit. I know everyone is excited. I bought this device so I'd have future proofing but not at the expense of current functionality.

darcilicious

Post by darcilicious »

aldamon wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:42 am I think the devs need to tap the brakes here a bit.
What does that even mean? ;^) Honestly, I want them to keep careening, full-speed ahead to get the work-arounds in place and bugs fixed! :) Given all the moving parts in this so-called transition, I think they've done good job of trying to keep up...

aldamon

Post by aldamon »

darcilicious wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:56 am
aldamon wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:42 am I think the devs need to tap the brakes here a bit.
What does that even mean? ;^) Honestly, I want them to keep careening, full-speed ahead to get the work-arounds in place and bugs fixed! :) Given all the moving parts in this so-called transition, I think they've done good job of trying to keep up...
It means it's kind of ridiculous to assume everyone who bought the new box is a seasoned Silicon Dust vet with existing boxes to use while all this is worked out. This is my first product from them. I just need ATSC 1.0 functionality to be restored so I can watch TV without all these launch problems. Defaulting to the 3.0 tuners without a means to disable them is really poor decision that I'm hoping they're addressing and soon.

DigitalBrad

Post by DigitalBrad »

aldamon wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:20 am
darcilicious wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:56 am
It means it's kind of ridiculous to assume everyone who bought the new box is a seasoned Silicon Dust vet with existing boxes to use while all this is worked out. This is my first product from them. I just need ATSC 1.0 functionality to be restored so I can watch TV without all these launch problems. Defaulting to the 3.0 tuners without a means to disable them is really poor decision that I'm hoping they're addressing and soon.
Try picking up CBS Channel 2 from Greensboro. If you get tired of the the ATSC 3.0 Tuner, I'll be happy to work out a trade deal for my ATSC 1.0 Quattro + cash.

darcilicious

Post by darcilicious »

aldamon wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:20 am Defaulting to the 3.0 tuners without a means to disable them is really poor decision that I'm hoping they're addressing and soon.
Yes they are addressing this, which is why you DON'T want them to apply the brakes :D

csdesigns

Post by csdesigns »

darcilicious wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:30 am Yes they are addressing this, which is why you DON'T want them to apply the brakes :D
Yes, I don't think aldamon literally means to halt development. I think what he meant, and which is pretty clear from his subsequent post, was that the rush to get this product out on the market to your average Joe consumer should have been more carefully thought out. Given all of the issues folks are having with just basic viewing of these channels (no ATSC 1.0 backup option, multi-channel audio decoded only as mono, etc) on their platform of choice, the product (and SD's support staff certainly) probably would have been better served if just the DEV version were released.

The issues with ATSC 3.0 in general aren't issues with SD per sé, but expecting Joe Blow to understand that right now is a fool's errand. Here's to hoping that the next much-anticipated fw release addresses a number of these issues! :)

pastafarian10

Post by pastafarian10 »

csdesigns wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:53 am
darcilicious wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:30 am Yes they are addressing this, which is why you DON'T want them to apply the brakes :D
Yes, I don't think aldamon literally means to halt development. I think what he meant, and which is pretty clear from his subsequent post, was that the rush to get this product out on the market to your average Joe consumer should have been more carefully thought out. Given all of the issues folks are having with just basic viewing of these channels (no ATSC 1.0 backup option, multi-channel audio decoded only as mono, etc) on their platform of choice, the product (and SD's support staff certainly) probably would have been better served if just the DEV version were released.

The issues with ATSC 3.0 in general aren't issues with SD per sé, but expecting Joe Blow to understand that right now is a fool's errand. Here's to hoping that the next much-anticipated fw release addresses a number of these issues! :)
My first SiliconDust Product is the 4K Tuner. The firmware works great, but the rest of the software is so buggy as to be unusable. When I switched to the Channels app, all of the problems just disappeared: https://getchannels.com

It's super lame that I have to spend money on third party software, but at least it works.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

pastafarian10 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:51 pm My first SiliconDust Product is the 4K Tuner. The firmware works great, but the rest of the software is so buggy as to be unusable.
What platform and what issues are you seeing with the HDHomeRun app?

You mentioned squished video on 1080i HEVC channels on Windows 10 - this has been fixed and the new Win10 app was released a few days ago. Technically it is a Microsoft issue but we came up with a solution.

Nick