ATSC 3.0: Raleigh/Durham - 2020

ATSC 3.0 Forum
darcilicious

Re: ATSC 3.0: Raleigh/Durham

Post by darcilicious »

Yes, SiliconDust has already indicated that they are working on a way to make both the HD and HEVC channels available for tuning, as selected by the user.

Crash*N*Burn

Post by Crash*N*Burn »

Yep, just trying to provide some input.

DigitalBrad

Post by DigitalBrad »

Glad I found this thread. Anyone else here using with Channels? Anyone have the inside track when WRAL is going live? Will WRAZ go live at the same time?

darcilicious

Post by darcilicious »

DigitalBrad wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:29 am Anyone else here using with Channels?
If you mean the Channels app, I'm a long time user on the Apple TV 4K and iPhone 11 Pro here in Portland and it's pretty slick. Works fairly well with the ATSC 3.0 channels.

DigitalBrad

Post by DigitalBrad »

darcilicious wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:49 am
DigitalBrad wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:29 am Anyone else here using with Channels?
If you mean the Channels app, I'm a long time user on the Apple TV 4K and iPhone 11 Pro here in Portland and it's pretty slick. Works fairly well with the ATSC 3.0 channels.
Yes. I was actually asking if anyone else in Raleigh/Durham is using Channels DVR and able to watch the ATSC 3.0 channels. All of them are "glitchy" and aren't really usable at the moment. I know SD is aware that CBS 17 is unwatchable as well. I have a WD PR2100.

So in Portland, your ATSC 3.0 works well with Channels DVR?

darcilicious

Post by darcilicious »

DigitalBrad wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:35 pm So in Portland, your ATSC 3.0 works well with Channels DVR?
Yes. Audio isn't always perfect and there is a small buffer underrun issue that I keep meaning to report (the work around is simple, pause live TV for about 15-20 seconds, or longer if you like, and then resume).

If you have a Windows PC (or newer Mac), you should be able to use the HDHomeRun app for comparison...

DigitalBrad

Post by DigitalBrad »

darcilicious wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:28 pm
DigitalBrad wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:35 pm So in Portland, your ATSC 3.0 works well with Channels DVR?
Yes. Audio isn't always perfect and there is a small buffer underrun issue that I keep meaning to report (the work around is simple, pause live TV for about 15-20 seconds, or longer if you like, and then resume).

If you have a Windows PC (or newer Mac), you should be able to use the HDHomeRun app for comparison...
I was aware of that workaround and doesn't work well in my DMA from my tests. I hope they make adjustments. The engineers (with the exception of 1) won't return calls or emails about it.

Crash*N*Burn

Post by Crash*N*Burn »

My Setup:
Server:
AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
32GB DDR4
Unraid 6.8.x
NextPVR running in a docker
Cheap AMD Video card for Unraid, P2000 for Transcoding

Clients:
Main Client:
2015 Nvidia Shield
Prior to RDU broadcasting in ATSC 3.0 work flawlessly.
Currently, I can see video but there is no Audio

My Main PC with the updated SD App and HVEC addon works fine

Zbox A4-5000 with Latest Win10 2HXX, is able to view and hear ATSC 3.0, so this is clearly a SW issue not a HW issue.

SD app in android on the 2015 Shield will show video but no audio. (I find this to be a lack of sw solution for android)

And if I try to record an ATSC3.0 channel, it does not get the audio stream, just the video stream.

Now if SD could fix the tuner to allow users to turn off ATSC3.0 or force the tuner to also keep the ATSC1.0 version of those channels that would be a HUGE step in the right direction.

Crash*N*Burn

Post by Crash*N*Burn »

Just install Kodi on this ZBOX, and as you know the SD app install from the Windows Store along with the HEVC addon works, but it seems that that addon is not a system level addon in that Kodi is unable to use it for playback thus video but no audio in kodi. Also the official SD addon for Kodi will play video but not the Audio, This is DEFINATELY a SW issue!!

kyl416
Device ID: 1080DB11

Post by kyl416 »

Kodi is an open source project that also runs on Linux, Android, Rasberry Pi, Apple and others, so it relies on FFmpeg for playback, it does not use the DirectShow and/or Media Foundation codecs or provide a way for add-ons to access those Windows specific codecs. So there's no way for the HDHomeRun Kodi addon to access the Media Foundation codecs to decode AC-4 audio like the native Windows app can. That add-on is also being discontinued because the next version of Kodi will not include key API features that the addon requires to give it the look and feel of the native HDHomeRun apps. If you want more details about that, and alternatives that integrate with Kodi's built in DVR and Live TV functions read this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=88&t=74480

Until the FFmpeg project adds support for AC-4, you will not have audio on platforms that rely on FFmpeg for decoding, which includes VLC, Kodi, Emby and Plex. Yes, technically that is considered a "Software Issue", but it's an upstream issue with FFmpeg that the developers of Kodi and other FFmpeg based software can't do anything about until FFmpeg's developers add an AC-4 decoder to their libavcodec library. Even bitstream passthru to an AC-4 capable sound system won't be an option for these platforms until FFmpeg's developers add AC-4 detection to the mpeg-ts demuxer in their libavformat library so the AC-4 stream is detected as an audio bitstream instead of discarded as random binary data.

Crash*N*Burn

Post by Crash*N*Burn »

Anyone else only seeing 11.1???

Crash*N*Burn

Post by Crash*N*Burn »

kyl416 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:23 pm Kodi is an open source project that also runs on Linux, Android, Rasberry Pi, Apple and others, so it relies on FFmpeg for playback, it does not use the DirectShow and/or Media Foundation codecs or provide a way for add-ons to access those Windows specific codecs. So there's no way for the HDHomeRun Kodi addon to access the Media Foundation codecs to decode AC-4 audio like the native Windows app can. That add-on is also being discontinued because the next version of Kodi will not include key API features that the addon requires to give it the look and feel of the native HDHomeRun apps. If you want more details about that, and alternatives that integrate with Kodi's built in DVR and Live TV functions read this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=88&t=74480

Until the FFmpeg project adds support for AC-4, you will not have audio on platforms that rely on FFmpeg for decoding, which includes VLC, Kodi, Emby and Plex. Yes, technically that is considered a "Software Issue", but it's an upstream issue with FFmpeg that the developers of Kodi and other FFmpeg based software can't do anything about until FFmpeg's developers add an AC-4 decoder to their libavcodec library. Even bitstream passthru to an AC-4 capable sound system won't be an option for these platforms until FFmpeg's developers add AC-4 detection to the mpeg-ts demuxer in their libavformat library so the AC-4 stream is detected as an audio bitstream instead of discarded as random binary data.
I don't actually use the official SD Kodi addon since I use NextPVR. I simply installed it on my POC zbox too test the configuration and see it Kodi/SD app could use the HVEC addon that was installed to allow the native windows client to function properly, and obviously it can't, and isn't installed as a sytem level dll/codec.

DigitalBrad

Post by DigitalBrad »

Crash*N*Burn wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:33 pm Anyone else only seeing 11.1???
No. I see all the others as well. Using channels dvr. CBS 17 doesn't work but SD is aware of it

Crash*N*Burn

Post by Crash*N*Burn »

DigitalBrad wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:15 am
Crash*N*Burn wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:33 pm Anyone else only seeing 11.1???
No. I see all the others as well. Using channels dvr. CBS 17 doesn't work but SD is aware of it
No, when I do the channel scan for the 4k connect it only gives me 11.1. I see no, 11.2, 11.3.

eepete

Post by eepete »

(posted this in another thread, but is relevant here)
In the Raleigh-Durham area, 11.1 / WTVD / "Channel 11" / ABC shows as HVEC. There is no audio on a MAC (2019 iMac, Big Sur) either with HDHomeRun live or a recorded show. On my PC (Windows 10, up to date) the HDHomeRun app won't show anything now, it used to work, don't know if it ever worked on the HVEC. VLC also works on non-HVEC channels, pointing to more FFmpeg "challenges".

Data points for the good people working on these problems.

My #1 "Please add" is the ability to check on and do updates from the menus on either Mac or Windows. Can be the actual menus at the top, or, in the Settings in the view-screen of the HDHomeRun app. Given the understandable rate of change at this point in time, the "first step" of "Am I up to date?" should be quick and easy to do. I've got the 4K ATSC 3.0 tuner, , the Servio, and on both PCs and MACs the various other programs. So that's 10 different pieces of software.

While I really want to dig into the data and LLS tables of the ATSC 3.0, I'll just have to shelve everything and check back every 2 weeks or so.