ATSC 3.0: Raleigh/Durham

ATSC 3.0 Forum
signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: ATSC 3.0: Raleigh/Durham

Post by signcarver »

look at the picture posted above of config_gui... if you are on the latest it will have places to check for plp at the bottom... that picture had plp0 and plp2 checked and because they were capable of both the boxes for lock are also shown much bigger above (in my market the station with multiple plp's are incompatible so if I check both neither are locked). What platform are you on as the easiest way to get the latest is to download the latest full windows software package (not just app)... I am not certain if the latest mac package has the latest config_gui.

rljnc

Post by rljnc »

Figured it out had to lock them all for them to show, now if I could just get audio to play!

Crash*N*Burn

Post by Crash*N*Burn »

Ok, dumb question.

Why doesn't the HDHomeRun app work on playing the ATSC 3.0 channels?

darcilicious

Post by darcilicious »

Crash*N*Burn wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:05 pm Why doesn't the HDHomeRun app work on playing the ATSC 3.0 channels?
Depends on the platform. Working pretty well on Windows, MacOS, and Xbox One for hardware and audio platforms that support ATSC 3.0.

What platform are you trying to run the app on?

Crash*N*Burn

Post by Crash*N*Burn »

Windows 10

krv

Post by krv »

Crash*N*Burn wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:58 pm Windows 10
The Windows 10 version of HDHomeRun that is available through the Microsoft Store on Windows works great for me. It is currently the only way that I can watch ATSC 3.0 broadcasts with sound. I do not get sound with the version of the HDHomeRun viewer downloaded from SD. When you first tune a HEVC station you may be asked to install a driver/utility called "HEVC Video Extensions from Device Manufacturer". I believe this driver provides that codec needed for AC-4 on Windows 10, though i haven't been able to get sound to work with any app other than the Windows Store version of HDHomeRUn.

Crash*N*Burn

Post by Crash*N*Burn »

Ahhh that would explain it.... Though generally speaking I've not had good luck with windows store version of application install (professionally) which is why I tend to shy away from that route. Still begs the question why isn't the version on SD's website newer or better???? Unless they plan to include a disc in the package when they start selling the 4K tuner on the website, or have the software updates as such, going to be alot of frustrated people. Just sayin.

Crash*N*Burn

Post by Crash*N*Burn »

Well I can play video on my Shield with Kodi, but still now sound, anyone have any ideas or helpful hints?

krv

Post by krv »

Sound should work on any system that supports Dolby AC-4 sound. Almost no devices currently support AC-4 sound. You can find discussions on both the Shield and AC-4 in these forums.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

Crash*N*Burn wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:56 am Ahhh that would explain it.... Though generally speaking I've not had good luck with windows store version of application install (professionally) which is why I tend to shy away from that route. Still begs the question why isn't the version on SD's website newer or better???? Unless they plan to include a disc in the package when they start selling the 4K tuner on the website, or have the software updates as such, going to be alot of frustrated people. Just sayin.
If you enable the sideloading of apps and run the Windows software installer it will install the UWP app. But, you still need the store for the Microsoft HEVC codec, so just embrace the new way of doing things and install the app from the store. Unlike most other app stores, you don't need to log in to install free apps. It will ask if you want to log in, but if you click no it will still install.

darcilicious

Post by darcilicious »

Crash*N*Burn wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:33 pm Well I can play video on my Shield with Kodi, but still now sound, anyone have any ideas or helpful hints?
Two things have to be in alignment: the hardware platform and the video player software. I believe the newer Shield does support AC4 so you need to find out if Kodi is using their own video player and if so when/if they will support AC4 audio.

From Nick in another post (viewtopic.php?p=365773#p365773):
Newer Shield - you should be getting audio.
1st-gen Shield - for audio you need a Dolby Atmos TV, receiver, or sound bar, and you need the app update we will be releasing early next week.

Crash*N*Burn

Post by Crash*N*Burn »

Unfortunately I have the 2015 shield so I guess I'll need to get an atmos soundbar or get the current shield pro with it built in since silicon dust isn't providing that in it's app, or wait for ffmpeg to add it to the code base so kodi / vlc can be enabled.

Crash*N*Burn

Post by Crash*N*Burn »

.... Or SD fixes the tuner to show atsc3.0 channels on a separate virtual channel and allow atsc1.0 channels to be on the standard channels.

Not being an engineer, but not sure why tuner0 and tuner1 being atsc1.0 and arsc3.0 capable why you couldn't have channel 11.1 for atsc1.0 and 5xxx for the atsc3.0 tuner???

Also wth is with 17.1, the video looks like it's being squished, is that source or the SD tuner???

rljnc

Post by rljnc »

Okay guys I know most of us are on the ground breaking of this and kind of know a little of what is going on, but to even release 3.0 when most of the users kind of know a little something and they cannot get audio playing do you not think this is premature? How in the world would the regular person even begin, just seems a lot of things needed to be in place before it even started. Just my opinion.

darcilicious

Post by darcilicious »

rljnc wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:12 pm Okay guys I know most of us are on the ground breaking of this and kind of know a little of what is going on, but to even release 3.0 when most of the users kind of know a little something and they cannot get audio playing do you not think this is premature? How in the world would the regular person even begin, just seems a lot of things needed to be in place before it even started. Just my opinion.
Audio does work on supported platforms. I don't recall precisely, have you posted what software you're using and on what hardware platform?