Does this work for anyone?

ATSC 3.0 Forum
mankOKC

Does this work for anyone?

Post by mankOKC »

In OKC, ATSC 3.0 is active. After two indoor antennas didnt bring in good signals for the HDHomeRun, purchased a roof antenna. Willing to invest, I'm excited for this tech. However, still jittery channels, no sound on some channels, and nothing looks even 1080p. The picture via the HDHomeRun is no better than 1.0, on any channel. Plus the no sound thing is ridiculous. Has anyone had success with this thing and 3.0? I see no point to keep this HDHomeRun. Might as well revert back to 1.0, which is better picture and there's sound. Would love some insight from anyone in this forum. Are my expectations off? Havent seen many positive posts on this forum. Is this a scam? Bottom-line, so far this is a waste of time and money.

darcilicious

Re: Does this work for anyone?

Post by darcilicious »

I can't speak to OKC but in Portland, the 4K tuner itself works great. And more importantly, it's very early days for the broadcasters, the hardware providers (SiliconDust), and the software developers (SiliconDust and others).

I'm using Channels/DVR on the Apple TV platform and that app does tune 3.0 channels, the picture quality is "good enough" -- but keep in mind, no one is broadcasting in 4K (2160p) -- and audio works just fine.

I've also had success in getting audio (though a bit wonky) and video with the HDHomeRun app on my MacBook Air (2018).

Audio is going to be an issue for some platforms in the long term possibly since a Dolby format that isn't supported universally (e.g Plex).

You don't mention what platform or apps you're using so it's hard to provide you with more detailed feedback.

mankOKC

Post by mankOKC »

Thank you for the reply, darcilicious. I appreciate your information. I am using the HD app on AppleTV.

Perhaps my expectations were set too high. You helped confirm that the technology isnt quite ready yet. I expected more than "good enough" picture quality, and certainly expected to have audio. I did not expect to see 4k out the gate, but wanted to be comfortable with software and hardware for when it happens.

Are you satisfied with wonky audio and good enough picture? Curious to know what makes you stick with the silicondust software and hardware. I mean no offense. Once again, thank you for the info and taking the time to reply.

darcilicious

Post by darcilicious »

Other than casual viewing on my MacBook Air I am NOT using SD software. As a free "viewer" it's "okay", but like I said, Channels (beta) is as good as it gets on Apple TV (currently). However, keep in mind, SD hasn't released an Apple TV app before this so...

Like I said, the tuner (hardware) seems great; for the short-term, it will tune up to 4 1.0 ATSC channels which is twice as good as the EXTEND :D (or up to two ATSC 3.0 and two ATSC 1.0 channels simultaneously).

I expect things will get better and I'm able to watch (and record with Channels/DVR) what I want when I want so I'm willing to be patient.

ronintexas
Device ID: 10807D4D

Post by ronintexas »

I am in Austin, TX, and the broadcasters are retransmitting the 1080i signal on the ATSC 3.0 stations (actually, only one of them is broadcasting - the other 3 don't have audio or video yet).

The PC version of the SD software works for both audio and video, my LG TV works audio/video, the XBox app works for audio/video, Roku Ultra (on my LG TV) works for audio/video and my FireTV works for Audio/Video. However, on my older Samsung Plasma (purchased in 2012) has audio issues on the Roku Ultra.

It is in beta right now - as the broadcasters don't have 100% of the programs working on their end yet.

I have two Tablo DVRs (4-tuner models) that I am currently using for recording, and I am using the HDHomerun for "tinkering around". I am sure within the next few months things will get ironed out (SD is working hard on the upgrades). I plan to move to either Plex or Emby for my DVR format. The Tablo DVRs worked fine for the past few years, but they don't support full HD.

The only product I know that works "great" for full HD are the TiVo boxes (they don't support ATSC 3.0 right now, and don't have a product near market as of yet), and they are quite a bit more expensive.

Overall - the HDHomerun is the best "streaming" network tuner out there in my opinion...and ATSC 3.0 will be going soon at 100%.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

It is likely 1080p rather than 1080i.

The broadcaster I visited a while back did everything in 1080p60, then they generated 1080i and 480i for broadcast and 720p for cable from the internal 1080p feed.

This is some interlaced HEVC but it is more likely you are seeing 1080p.

Nick