Channels DVR anyone?

ATSC 3.0 Forum
jerryt

Channels DVR anyone?

Post by jerryt »

https://community.getchannels.com/t/hdh ... /22513/208

Anyone using channels DVR, who can provide feedback?

jseymour

Re: Channels DVR anyone?

Post by jseymour »

Many people here use it. We've been using it for 2-1/2 years. It's terrific. I'm currently running it on a Synology NAS, but I briefly ran it on our main Linux home network server to evaluate it. Anything in specific you'd like to know?

The client apps are terrific, too. We've run them on:
  • Xiaomi MyBox 3 and MiBox S Android TV
  • Amazon Fire TV (2nd gen)
  • Amazon Fire stick (recent generation, non-4K)
  • Apple TV 4K
  • Apple iPhone
  • Apple iPad
If you have a DVR subscription the TV app is free if you choose the DVR version. (I paid for most of ours so live viewing would continue to work if the DVR took a dump. Though I suppose, in that case, I could always fire it up on the home network server again if I had to.)

Developers are usually pretty responsive, too.

darcilicious

Post by darcilicious »

Agreed that Channels DVR is pretty awesome. I was an early adopter but only use the DVR sporadically. The guide data has been great, the fullscreen guide is nice, you can integrate TV Everywhere (including DVRing those channels), and they appear to be beta testing "Import your existing media library into the DVR".

And I agree that developers seem very responsive; it was easy to get on the betas for testing ATSC 3.0 broadcasts in the Portland market.

This was a nice comparison across some options though it's a little out of date (I think, for example, Plex now has non-destructive skip):

https://community.getchannels.com/t/cha ... ison/21526

jerryt

Post by jerryt »

I was wondering how the ATSC 3.0 was working with Channels DVR?

darcilicious

Post by darcilicious »

jerryt wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:11 pm I was wondering how the ATSC 3.0 was working with Channels DVR?
For me, on the Apple TV 4K and iPhone 11 Pro, it's nearly perfect. I do have to pause the playback for a few minutes and then play to prevent the video from being jittery. Seems like a possible buffer underrun issue (?) Oh, and the audio (depending on the channel and the program) isn't always quite right on my ATMOS-capable AVR / 5.1.2 speaker setup, but there's always some kind of audio.

EDIT: I'm using the beta version of both the Channels server and ATV app (as alluded to my previous post).

jseymour

Post by jseymour »

jerryt wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:11 pm I was wondering how the ATSC 3.0 was working with Channels DVR?
Should work no differently than ATSC 1... until the OTA broadcasters implement DRM--which I'd almost bet money they will.