4k viewing options for win7

ATSC 3.0 Forum
pungo

4k viewing options for win7

Post by pungo »

Been running win7 with windows media center for many years using HDHR-Prime.
I understand ATSC 3.0 4k won't work on win7 windows media center :(
The win7 PC can play smooth 4k HEVC files using potplayer or MPC-HC with MadVR & LAV codecs, even HDR with ATMOS content.
video card is a nvidia GTX 1060 w/6gig
Are there any options to watch ATSC 3.0 4k from a HDHR5-4K on win7?
  • Kodi
    Emby
    VLC
Or, do I need to use a streaming device?
  • Fire TV
    Roku
    Nvidia Sheild
    LGTV app
I currently don't have any ATSC 3.0 signals in my area (Washington DC/Baltimore) yet, but want to get set up with a HDHR5-4K for when the signals become available.

kyl416
Device ID: 1080DB11

Re: 4k viewing options for win7

Post by kyl416 »

ATSC 3.0 uses AC-4 for audio. The LAV codecs, VLC, Emby and Kodi are all based on FFmpeg, and there is currently no open source AC-4 codec, so you won't get audio for ATSC 3.0 channels. There's also no support for interlaced HEVC, so 1080i stations currently decode as 1920x540p in these players.

As of now there are also no commercially available DirectShow or Media Foundation codecs that would allow Windows 7 to decode AC-4 audio.

While AC-4 has some aspects of Atmos, it's still a new format. Even AV receivers that have Atmos support will not necessarily have AC-4 support unless the manufacturer is able to and/or willing to provide a firmware upgrade to add AC-4 decoding on older models.

pungo

Re: 4k viewing options for win7

Post by pungo »

Thanks for those details about the lack of AC-4 support in the current codecs. So unless some development work is done for the codecs to add AC-4 support, it's a no go for win7. Hopefully, in the near future, the codecs will add the required support.

I'm assuming the various streaming devices will provide full support? I have the new HD HomeRun LG TV app working now, so I hope that will fully support ATSC 3.0 from the HDHR5-4K.
I have a Denon AVR-X4300 receiver and LG OLED E7 with ARC which both support ATMOS.

I haven't looked at other streaming devices since I've never really needed one in the past so I'm now just looking at these devices.
Fire TV Cube
Roku Ultra
Nvidia Shield