Detroit ATSC 3.0 - 2020

ATSC 3.0 Forum
dwaleke

Re: Detroit ATSC 3.0

Post by dwaleke »

The problem is the new broadcasts use HEVC video and Dolby AC4 audio.

Not much can decode the AC4 audio stream.

clarkss12
Device ID: 104CBEA5 ;1055A951

Post by clarkss12 »

NedS wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:50 pm I believe a new Android beta is being released (or has been released by the time this is read) with additional audio fixes: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/co ... ndust.view
I cannot get out of that beta app from the Google play store.

FFantin

Post by FFantin »

clarkss12 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:23 pm
NedS wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:50 pm I believe a new Android beta is being released (or has been released by the time this is read) with additional audio fixes: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/co ... ndust.view
Open Google Play and go to the app page for HDHomeRun, and make sure you're logged into the Google account you used to sign up for the beta. Scroll down until you see a section called "You're a beta tester," and click on Leave. Then wait a few minutes for it to remove you from the beta, then uninstall HDHR, reinstall it, and you should be back in the public channel for the app.

clarkss12

Post by clarkss12 »

FFantin wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:03 pm
clarkss12 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:23 pm
Open Google Play and go to the app page for HDHomeRun, and make sure you're logged into the Google account you used to sign up for the beta. Scroll down until you see a section called "You're a beta tester," and click on Leave. Then wait a few minutes for it to remove you from the beta, then uninstall HDHR, reinstall it, and you should be back in the public channel for the app.
Yeah, finally was able to get out of the beta program. Thanks

dwaleke

Post by dwaleke »

Watched a few things now through the Apple TV 4k.

Aside from the obvious channel mapping issues the quality of the video and audio are pretty bad.

The option to use the ATSC 1.0 channels cannot come quick enough.

FFantin

Post by FFantin »

Do other markets have such poor quality or just our's?

dwaleke

Post by dwaleke »

We are not the only ones.

Seems higher quality broadcasts are possible. Not sure why they started with the low quality ones.

Lost Dog

Post by Lost Dog »

FFantin wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:29 am Do other markets have such poor quality or just our's?
You are not the only one... In the Portland, OR area many of the ATSC 3.0 birates are ~2.5 Mbps or so. Even with HEVC it looks really bad compared to the ATSC 1.0 versions.

clarkss12

Post by clarkss12 »

I'm watching an NFL game being played in hevc using the ATSC 3 tuner, using a Windows 10 mini PC connected to my 4K TV through my Yamaha AVR.
The playback is pretty decent, except there is a pause about every five or ten minutes. Also the center channel audio is being broadcast from my rear speakers instead of the center speaker.

A-TV-viewer

Post by A-TV-viewer »

I find it strange that I do not have sound ATSC 3.0 on any device (iPad, Fire TV 4k, Google TV 4k or Windows 10) using the HDHomeRun app but I do get good picture and sound quality from the free Channels app on my iPad. :?

darcilicious

Post by darcilicious »

A-TV-viewer wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:44 pm I find it strange that I do not have sound ATSC 3.0 on any device (iPad, Fire TV 4k, Google TV 4k or Windows 10) using the HDHomeRun app but I do get good picture and sound quality from the free Channels app on my iPad. :?
iDevices must support ATMOS (e.g. iPhone 11 or newer, iPad Pro). I don't use the other platforms mentioned so I'm not sure if they support AC4 audio (HEVC broadcasts) or not; I do believe that the Windows client (from the Microsoft store?) does.

A-TV-viewer

Post by A-TV-viewer »

darcilicious wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:51 pm
A-TV-viewer wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:44 pm I find it strange that I do not have sound ATSC 3.0 on any device (iPad, Fire TV 4k, Google TV 4k or Windows 10) using the HDHomeRun app but I do get good picture and sound quality from the free Channels app on my iPad. :?
iDevices must support ATMOS (e.g. iPhone 11 or newer, iPad Pro). I don't use the other platforms mentioned so I'm not sure if they support AC4 audio (HEVC broadcasts) or not; I do believe that the Windows client (from the Microsoft store?) does.
My iPad is 7th Gen. iPhone 8th Gen both play sound on the Channels app.

darcilicious

Post by darcilicious »

A-TV-viewer wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:04 pm
darcilicious wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:51 pm iDevices must support ATMOS (e.g. iPhone 11 or newer, iPad Pro). I don't use the other platforms mentioned so I'm not sure if they support AC4 audio (HEVC broadcasts) or not; I do believe that the Windows client (from the Microsoft store?) does.
Yup, and they may be in violation of licensing by doing so (according to SD). HDHomeRun apps will do AC4 audio on devices that support ATMOS. For iDevices, you can check the Apple site and the technical specs; if it doesn't say ATMOS under "audio" then it won't get audio with SD's app(s) -- unless something changes.

A-TV-viewer

Post by A-TV-viewer »

darcilicious wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:20 pm
A-TV-viewer wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:04 pm
darcilicious wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:51 pm iDevices must support ATMOS (e.g. iPhone 11 or newer, iPad Pro). I don't use the other platforms mentioned so I'm not sure if they support AC4 audio (HEVC broadcasts) or not; I do believe that the Windows client (from the Microsoft store?) does.
Yup, and they may be in violation of licensing by doing so (according to SD). HDHomeRun apps will do AC4 audio on devices that support ATMOS. For iDevices, you can check the Apple site and the technical specs; if it doesn't say ATMOS under "audio" then it won't get audio with SD's app(s) -- unless something changes.
My Yamaha receiver supports ATMOS and is connected to my TV, fire tv and google tv devices. All successful play through my receiver for everything other than the ATCS 3 channels. Do you know what settings I need to change to enable ATMOS to passthrough?

darcilicious

Post by darcilicious »

A-TV-viewer wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:41 pm My Yamaha receiver supports ATMOS and is connected to my TV, fire tv and google tv devices. All successful play through my receiver for everything other than the ATCS 3 channels. Do you know what settings I need to change to enable ATMOS to passthrough?
A lot of TVs do not support audio pass-through -- really, you should connect your playback devices to the AV/R and the video output of your AV/R to your TV. In any case, you'll need to refer to your TV manual for the details.