Detroit ATSC 3.0 - 2020

ATSC 3.0 Forum
signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: Detroit ATSC 3.0

Post by signcarver »

clarkss12 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:43 pm
cincylion wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:11 pm If you select 2.1, 4.1, 7.1, 20.1 or 62.1 you'll get the HEVC version on tuner 0 or 1.
You'll only get the ATSC 1.0 channels on tuner 2 or 3.
That is my issue, how do I force the channel selection to grab tuner 0 or 1?
Ok, I recoded shows on all of the other tuners.. The ATSC 3 tuners were the last ones selected........... Now I can test.
With what? Have you isolated the tuner for testing? Did the channel scan pull such in from the ATSC 3.0 station (denoted by HEVC, and that such remained after the scan completed)? If I am understanding what you are asking, I believe the answer is "you don't."

Typically if you have other tuners, the apps/dvr from SD will use them as they have lower DeviceID so when one requests 2.1 it will pull it from the other device first (this makes things hard to test when not isolated... a "possible, though not ideal, way to "force" assuming the scan picked it up is to disable such channels on your other devices as that will (eventually, keep in mind it may take up to 2 hours for the DVR to actually make the change) force to use the "4K" device for those channels. If the scan picked it up and the app requests it from the "4K" it will use 0 and 1 if it is available/added from scan as HEVC or start with 2 then 3 if it isn't then use tuners 1 and 2 (with the same ATSC 1.0 channel selection). I have not seen any "auto fall-over" to the 1.0 channels when such was added in the scan but I think it does know about them as a rescan seems to "instantly" add the other instances)... What we are waiting on is firmware that should "enable" both sets... which has been said to also require software awareness of such... right now my "preference" for maximum compatibility would probably be opposite of the way they are going in that it should make the 1.0 default so older apps don't need such app awareness and they will just work but eventually I do agree the default should be 3.0... perhaps they will be smart enough to have a setting to switch default from 3.0 to 1.0 but my suggestion has been to allow "&atsc1" or &atsc3 as an optional parameter to the url tune string (but such would "require" app awareness to use such, while setting the preferred default will allow user choice depending on if their software/equipment works well with 3.0 with "no" change to apps "required").

Also the person you quoted wasn't quite correct... though you "can" only get 3.0 on 0/1 but the 1.0 are also available on 0/1 but for most apps which is tuned/used is entirely dependent (currently) on the results of the scan so make sure the scan results added it the way you wanted (i.e. some stations may apparently come in at 540 rather than 1080 so might be added with the 1.0 since it has the "higher" resolution... that behavior may have been fixed but was an issue for many earlier, I don't believe I have seen such).

clarkss12
Device ID: 104CBEA5 ;1055A951

Post by clarkss12 »

I have the HDHomeRun CONNECT QUATRO ( 4 tuners), HDHomeRun EXTEND (2 tuners) and this HDHomeRun CONNECT 4K ( 4 tuners (2 ATSC 1 and 2 ATSC 3)).

I selected 6 channels to record, that left me 2 ATSC 3 tuners for testing.. Of course, I tried to record only movies, but had to record shows, so I had to act quickly before the recordings ended and freed up the ATSC 1 tuners.

Anyway, as expected all my devices were UNALBE to decode the that AC-4 audio codec, except my Windows PC... I have two miniPC's connected to my 65" Samsung smart TV (older one, no HDR), going through my Yamaha AVR.

The quality is comparable to the ATSC 1 mpegs streams but at a much, much lower bit rate. But the video stops after playing for quite awhile..
The audio quality is fantastic......
My antenna is a big ass directional mounted on a tripod mounted on my roof, so the signal, quality, and symbol are all a steady 100%. I did have to add a 6!! thingy to drop the signal strength, because my antenna was over powering the tuner.
I am testing using a Beelink GTR MiniPC....

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

With using SD's software, at least currently, until you fill up the 6 tuners for the extend and quatro, it will probably never go to the "4K" unless it is the only device with that virtual channel number which makes it very hard to test with SD's software (many may test with any spanish channels since they disabled them on the other tuners as it is sometimes hard to keep the other main networks disabled during prime time). Once you reach that device it will use tuners 0 and 1 for the ATSC 3.0 channels (picked up by the scan and denoted on the lineup page as HEVC) and first use tuners 2 and 3 for any requested 1.0 channels provided auto was used for tuner selection (which SD's apps use). The order of preference with the system is to be by resolution then codec but I don't believe the DVR is smart enough to do that yet and I am not sure if there would be a difference with the DVR once that is implemented between live and recorded as I can see having ATSC 3 priority for recording

rainlake
Device ID: 1080933B

Post by rainlake »

I do not understand, I believe HDHomeRun default to grab atsc 3, so you just unplug other devices you sure will be on atsc 3
clarkss12 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:43 pm
cincylion wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:11 pm If you select 2.1, 4.1, 7.1, 20.1 or 62.1 you'll get the HEVC version on tuner 0 or 1.
You'll only get the ATSC 1.0 channels on tuner 2 or 3.
That is my issue, how do I force the channel selection to grab tuner 0 or 1?
Ok, I recoded shows on all of the other tuners.. The ATSC 3 tuners were the last ones selected........... Now I can test.

FFantin

Post by FFantin »

Anyone else have no audio on the new 3.0 channels?

clarkss12

Post by clarkss12 »

FFantin wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:52 pm Anyone else have no audio on the new 3.0 channels?
For me, I only get audio using the HDHomeRun app running under Windows 10. None of my Android devices have sound.

FFantin

Post by FFantin »

clarkss12 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:14 pm
FFantin wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:52 pm Anyone else have no audio on the new 3.0 channels?
For me, I only get audio using the HDHomeRun app running under Windows 10. None of my Android devices have sound.
I just tested it on Windows 10 and it kind of works, but it sounds rather strange. Mind you, I'm listening on stereo headphones, and what I think is happening is that it's mixing the audio in a weird way where it mixes the surround channels down to stereo, and they're either louder than other channels or the other channels aren't there. It's hard to tell. But the result is that you have very loud sound effects/music and quiet voices. I'm not sure if this is an issue on WMYD's end, SiliconDust's software, or Windows 10 itself.

darcilicious

Post by darcilicious »

I've experienced the same with the HDHomeRun app on my MacBook Air (2018). Something about the downmixing seems off.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

I believe a new Android beta is being released (or has been released by the time this is read) with additional audio fixes: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/co ... ndust.view

clarkss12

Post by clarkss12 »

Installed the beta app onto one of my Android TV boxes. The app keeps crashing, and I keep losing my DVR. Have not been able to play long enough to detect whether audio is working or not.
Non HEVC channels do play, without crashing the app. However, the video and audio keeps pausing.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

clarkss12 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:37 pm Installed the beta app onto one of my Android TV boxes. The app keeps crashing, and I keep losing my DVR. Have not been able to play long enough to detect whether audio is working or not.
Non HEVC channels do play, without crashing the app. However, the video and audio keeps pausing.
Which model Android TV box?

cincylion

Post by cincylion »

The Hdhomerun app is crashing for me too on my Nvidia Shield 2017 model. It was tuned to one of the ATSC channels and after about 2 seconds the app closes back to the main Android TV screen. I'm unable to change the channel before it crashes.

Edit: Same problem on Nvidia Shield Pro 2019.

Edit: When attempting to use the Hdhomerun app on either of my Nvidia Shields or FireTV, the DVR running on MyCloud nas crashes requiring a hard reboot.
Last edited by cincylion on Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

clarkss12

Post by clarkss12 »

NedS wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:20 pm
clarkss12 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:37 pm Installed the beta app onto one of my Android TV boxes. The app keeps crashing, and I keep losing my DVR. Have not been able to play long enough to detect whether audio is working or not.
Which model Android TV box?
Beelink GS King X running an ATV mod.

FFantin

Post by FFantin »

NedS wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:50 pm I believe a new Android beta is being released (or has been released by the time this is read) with additional audio fixes: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/co ... ndust.view
Thanks for this. Unfortunately I've still got no audio and the app now crashes frequently (I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S8+). I should also note that there's no sound on either of my Roku devices either.

Celtic

Post by Celtic »

I am having the same problems of no audio on HEVC channels. I have a CONNECT 4K 1080BFDD Version 20201030 and a CONNECT QUATRO 20200907. I get sound on kindle fire through HDHR app and on Windows 10. No Audio on iPhone, through Roku, or Plex running on Unraid OS. I’m not sure what to try next.

Edit: I unplugged the CONNECT 4K and with only the CONNECT QUATTRO plugged in, everything works. Hopefully firmware updates are coming soon to fix this problem with the 4K, or instructions on how to fix.