Windows 8.1 and ATSC/HEVC on HDHomeRun app

ATSC 3.0 Forum
wilme2

Windows 8.1 and ATSC/HEVC on HDHomeRun app

Post by wilme2 »

I searched and couldn't find any real discussion of viewing ATSC 3.0 using the HDHomeRun app on Windows 7/8.

I have a desktop with Windows 8.1 and a relatively new video card, but when I tune a known good ATSC/HEVC channel (one that works on Win 10) with the latest app, the screen just stays black. From the config GUI I can see the tuner locks the ATSC signal fine, but the HDHomeRun app never does anything other than remain black until I change the channel to an ATSC 1.0 channel.

Now when I first tuned ATSC 3.0 on one of my Win 10 laptops, I was prompted to go to the Microsoft store to download "HEVC Video Extensions from Device Manufacturer". I am guess I need to do download a similar codec (?) for Win 8.1? Funny enough on the same Win 8.1 desktop I can play the ATSC 3.0/HEVC stream on VLC just fine (no audio of course)...

NedS
Silicondust

Re: Windows 8.1 and ATSC/HEVC on HDHomeRun app

Post by NedS »

ATSC 3.0 will basically require Windows 10 if you want to use the HDHomeRun app. The Windows 8 version is a different, older code base that is no longer getting major updates. It might be possible HEVC can be supported, but the bigger issue is probably audio support (AC-4).

wilme2

Re: Windows 8.1 and ATSC/HEVC on HDHomeRun app

Post by wilme2 »

Makes sense. The only reason I keep my desktop Windows 8.1 is for Windows Media Center. If my main Win 7 DVR goes down, I could move my desktop in as a hot spare and could even move over non-DRM recordings.

But if/when the HDHomeRun DVR finally supports DRM playback, these two Win 7/8 boxes will go away...