ATSC 3.0: Denver - 2020

ATSC 3.0 Forum
ppasteur

Re: ATSC 3.0: Denver

Post by ppasteur »

Not sure why I have seen the 5000 channels, but my scans have been very consistent over the last several months. It was just the one time a couple of days ago that 4 new ones showed up on just one occasion.
I am not sure why this would happen unless someone is tinkering with things on a short term basis.

BTW I saw one 5000 series listing this morning. A rescan made it disappear. It is just a matter of minor interest to understand the why of it.

PS today the single 5000 station shows up on the Standard Quattro. I viewed it for a bit and it is Estrella TV KETD 53.2
So I AM not sure what is going on.
So Monday we will see how screwed up things get...
:)

ElHawkman

Post by ElHawkman »

The channels that show up for me are:
5000 - faveTV
5001 - unable to process
5002 - Estrella TV 53.2 holding screen
5003 - unable to process

DenverBrownGuy

Post by DenverBrownGuy »

Well HEVC channels showed up today for Denver!

2.1 KWGN
7.1 KMGH
9.1 KUSA
31.1 KDVR

I can get audio and video on my iPhone and Mac, but nothing on Android TV. I know there is a request to show HEVC channels separately, but until that happens, I'll need to remove this device from the network or disable those channels on my 4k device. Otherwise I won't be able to watch live tv or record with plex. I have another quattro but there is no preference for order with HDHomeRun app or Plex so I might get a tuning or recording that I can't use.

Gwilly7

Post by Gwilly7 »

Rescanned today and have 4 Channels I believe to be ATSC 3.0 but I am not getting sound for those channels.

Edit I am using the Playstore app on a Sony X900H

DenverBrownGuy

Post by DenverBrownGuy »

BTW, I'm pleased with the picture quality on these new channels. Looks like 4-6 mbps for these channels which seems way higher than some other markets. Comparing 9.1 HEVC at ~4.5mbps vs 9.4 at ~12-13mbps shows very little difference (or benefit). I will say the HEVC channel is about 15 seconds behind.

DenverBrownGuy

Post by DenverBrownGuy »

Gwilly7 wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:27 pm Rescanned today and have 4 Channels I believe to be ATSC 3.0 but I am not getting sound for those channels.

Edit I am using the Playstore app on a Sony X900H
That's because you need an Atmos-decoding compatible TV plus the client has to work with that TV. My TV is a Sony X850G and it doesn't have sound either. I wonder if it could though since both of these say they support Atmos.

Gwilly7

Post by Gwilly7 »

Found this in another part of the forum.

Most Windows 10 devices will play audio.
XBox One will play audio.
Many Android devices will play audio (requires app release from Dec 8 or later).
AppleTV 4K will play audio.
iPhone 11 and newer will play audio.
We are seeing problems with some channels which we are investigating. One channel here in Phoenix is sending silence.

My TV even has a 3.0 tuner built in but waiting update from Sony to activate. Guessing I might have to wait until then for sound.

ppasteur

Post by ppasteur »

ATSC 3.0 is live in Denver.
A rescan gets me KDVR 31.1, KUSA 9.1, KMHGH 7.1 and, KWGN 2.1 in HEVC. Using the Win 10 client I am getting a good picture on all of them. Audio good too, except for 2.1 KWGN. No audio there.

Interesting thing, I have 3 tuners. 1 connect duo, 1 Quatro, and the Quatro 4K. I had to unplug the Duo to get the client to use the HEVC channels on the 4K.
I read that they are working on a method to chose what tuner to use so we can chose either the ATSC 1 or ATSC 3 signal. This would really be a useful feature

bjdraw

Post by bjdraw »

Also seeing 2.1, 7.1, 9.1 and 31.1 being broadcast in ATSC 3.0. Audio is working on all of them via my Mac and Apple TV 4K, except 2.1. iPad plays audio but no video on the ATSC 3.0 channels. The LG HDHR app doesn't work on the ATSC 3.0 channels.

ppasteur

Post by ppasteur »

Just a few updates.
The latest Win 10 HDHR app gets video on the 4 channels and audio on all but 2.1 It is pretty steady once the video gets going, but it takes 15 to 30 seconds for that to happen. Then there is a glitch for a fraction of a second periodically. It is watchable (for me).

A couple of edits:
The Win 10 app is starting ATSC 3 channels much faster.
I have had the video and audio freeze and not be able to resume until I changed the channel.

The HDHR app on the LG OLED (65B7) works for video on all 4, audio on all but 2.1. The problem is that the entire stream hangs for 2 to 5 seconds or sometimes more every couple of minutes. It is something that reminds me of a buffer underrun. Everything starts back up right where it left off. Is there a way to increase the buffer size?

The Shield 2019 PRO is similar to the LG app, but the video stream continues while the audio drops out for seconds at a time. When it restarts it is in sync with the video.

Neither the shield nor LG are watchable. I need to try the ATV4K.

The PQ, at around half the indicated bandwidth, looks comparable or possibly a bit better, than the ATSC stations. As far as I could tell, but switching is not real fast.

Trip

Post by Trip »

Can someone post the associated ID numbers to the left of each channel found in the HDHomeRun GUI? I want to update my channel list in RabbitEars but I need that number to do so.

- Trip

ppasteur

Post by ppasteur »

I am not sure where to find the numbers for you.
In the Hdhomerun Config GUI this is what I see to the left of the channel number and virtual channel in the drop down on the "Program" line
5001 31.1 KDVR
5002 2.1 KWGN
5003 7.1 KMGH
5004 9.1 KUSA

If this is not when you need, please explain exactly where to find the data and I will do what I can to get it for you.

Phil

Trip

Post by Trip »

That is exactly what I wanted. Thanks!

- Trip

NextGenVideo

Post by NextGenVideo »

I checked today and I see 4 HD ATSC 3.0 in channel 34.

I have updated my channel line-up. Fox KDVR is showing as 31.1, which is the same virtual channel as the still existing 8VSB channel on 36. As there are 2 31.1, the line-up only shows the new KDVR and not the existing KDVR-HD. Video works fine. The problem I have is with some of my equipment is that audio is not playing. When I stream to VLC (I know VLC does not support AC-4), but I do not see an audio PID.

Is there a way the channel line-up can be forced to show two channels with the same virtual channel number, so I can tune to KDVR-HD?

Thanks in advance.

ppasteur

Post by ppasteur »

Many people have asked for a feature to allow the selection of either the HD or HEVC channels. At one point within the last month, one of the SD folks said it was a function that they are working on.
As of now I don't think there is a way to do what you want... though I would be more than happy to hear differently.
In my situation I have a standard Quatro and a Duo, as well as the 4K Quatro. The only way I have found to be able to tune the HD channel (when the ATSC 3 signals are present anywhere in my system) is to unplug the 4k unit.