HDHR5-4K Pre Purchase Tuner question.

ATSC 3.0 Forum
dantello

HDHR5-4K Pre Purchase Tuner question.

Post by dantello »

Howdy. Long long time user since day one, of HDHR tuners. I understand the concept, equipment, and the software.
My question is with the HDHR5-4K, after reading through the forums, I see confusing (to me) information regarding simultaneous ATSC 3.0 recordings. I read that one 3.0 tuner can record 1 channel and 1 sub at the same time. Is this correct? I want to record lets say 7.1, 54.1, 42.1 and 24.1 (let's assume they are all 3.0 live) at the same time in ATSC 3.0. From what I'm reading (maybe not understanding), nope, won't work. Only say 7.1 and 7.2 and 24.1 and 24.2 would be possible? So my question is, how many MAIN channels can I record in ATSC 3.0 at the same time with the HDHR5-4K? I would assume 2. Can someone please confirm this for me? I have no interest at the moment in sub channels.
Then my next question is... any idea when a 4 tuner ATSC 3.0 unit will be offered? I don't need any more ATSC 1.0 tuners, I have 2 HDHomeRun CONNECT's and 2 gen 2's as is. I realize the 3.0 unit isn't even fully baked yet. Just asking.
With kind regards and thanks, stay safe and healthy.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: HDHR5-4K Pre Purchase Tuner question.

Post by signcarver »

Currently I believe you are right if I am understanding your question correctly. But the idea is you can record 4 streams, nearly any mix, typically by sub channel as it uses the virtual channel number which you have listed which confuses me about not caring about subchannels as .1 is a subchannel. But since very little, for most, actually works with atsc 3.0 I am not certain streaming 2 from one tuner is actually working yet as typically things prefer the other tuners and I haven't had time to check (initial check through looking at web page shows it using 2 tuners but not sure if it really used 2 physical tuners as it is expected those 4 tuners to be "virtual" when such is limited to 4 streams.

One of the things mentioned in the KS is that though the device will be limited to four steams total, the theory in most locations should (eventually) work with any 4 channels. "We plan to enable multi-channel support so you can watch up to 4 ATSC 3.0 sub-channels across the 2 ATSC 3.0 tuners, all in high definition! "

However even if implemented that may not be possible for any 4 channels... For instance here in phoenix, we have 2 ATSC 3.0 physical channels. 27 which has Fox(10.1), My (45.1), ABC(15.1) and CW(61.1) and 35 which has CBS (5.1), NBC(12.1), PBS Kids(8.4), UniMAS(35.1) and Univision(33.1). In theory up to 4 streams may be available from 35 using 1 tuner by virtual channel number (but I think they may be limiting it to 2 and/or have not implemented such sharing that was mentioned as coming in the KS as being available yet... again hard to test in my environment without major rework so not 100% sure if such has been enabled). However due to the PLP arrangement of 27, only 2 can be obtained by a single atsc 3.0 tuner for that channel at a time (and currently 2 are not working but they used to work... I arranged the first 2 and 2nd 2 by plp) as the configuration is such that when tuned to the one PLP you wouldn't have access to the other so if the channels were actually working it would need both tuners to tune 10.1 and 15.1 (different conflicting plp's to get at once) from channel 27 but (in theory, again not sure if implemented yet) only 1 tuner if I wanted 15.1 and 61.1 (same plp). Because of such, it is possible to be limited to 2 of my desired ATSC 3.0 streams depending on which channels as if I had 10.1 and 15.1 tuned I wouldn't have a tuner available for anything off of 35 but the idea is generally not be limited to such in most cases but I could get any number channels off 35 using 1 tuner and have the second ATSC 3.0 tuner access 1 or 2 of the channels of 27 when such totals up to 4 streams. Again in theory as I am not certain of the state of such tuner sharing that was mentioned as coming in the KS (was hoping with the delay in shipment they had more time to work such out).

My advice is to always have as many tuners as one would need for concurrent streams but at some time you may be able to get more streams from a tuner at once. I have my doubts that a device with 4 ATSC 3.0 tuners would come out any time soon as they do expect the current device to handle 4 ATSC 3.0 streams already but there will be cases where that isn't practical (particularly 5 years from now when stations begin to transition away from ATSC 1.0 and not need to share a physical channel with other broadcasters).

dantello

Re: HDHR5-4K Pre Purchase Tuner question.

Post by dantello »

Many Many Thanks signcarver! This did clarify for me what I thought was going to be needed and then some. Pardon my verbiage before as I never think of the physical channel anymore. For me, the X.1 channels are the main and any of the others (.2, .3, .4 etc...) are subs. Since I need 4 concurrent active recordings at times, I'd hate to have to buy 2 HDHR5 4k's so I think I'll skip being an early adopter for once and wait. Only CBS, NBC, MyNet, and CW are broadcasting here in Austin at the moment. I already get great reception on those stations. The one station that needs to be on 3.0 for better reception is Fox. I'll probably upgrade when they go live. When enabled, the multi stream recording will be a fantastic addition and will also be an incentive to upgrade. Thanks again!