Connect4k Tuner Strength

ATSC 3.0 Forum
maurer14

Connect4k Tuner Strength

Post by maurer14 »

Is anyone else noticing considerably less tuner strength on the Connect4k than on earlier models? I can pick up 48 ota channels (10 miles south of Cleveland) with my older Extend but if I plug the same cable into my Connect 4k and run a channel scan I'm only picking up 19 channels. It seems like a hardware issue to me but open to suggestions if anyone else has seen this behavior.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: Connect4k Tuner Strength

Post by signcarver »

My experience has been opposite... often I get 90+ with the 4K unit and only 75+ on a good day with the quatros and even less with my extends.

Typically when comparing the 4th gen (connect/extends) to 5th gen (duos, quatros, newer extends from past 12-18 months or so, 4k) you have to watch out more for signal overload and more likely would need an LTE filter (I suggest use of such filter on the older devices as well).

robertbaetke

Post by robertbaetke »

I am getting much better reception with the 4K than on either my Connect or Extend.

wilme2

Post by wilme2 »

I am seeing all of the same channels - but reception is far more stable on the 4K. My neighborhood has two killer types of multi-path, and the 4K is significantly better at keeping the channels locked (not breaking up).

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

maurer14 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:53 am Is anyone else noticing considerably less tuner strength on the Connect4k than on earlier models? I can pick up 48 ota channels (10 miles south of Cleveland) with my older Extend but if I plug the same cable into my Connect 4k and run a channel scan I'm only picking up 19 channels. It seems like a hardware issue to me but open to suggestions if anyone else has seen this behavior.
You have an amplified antenna signal that is overloading the HDHomeRun with too much signal.

maurer14

Post by maurer14 »

NedS wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:58 am
maurer14 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:53 am Is anyone else noticing considerably less tuner strength on the Connect4k than on earlier models? I can pick up 48 ota channels (10 miles south of Cleveland) with my older Extend but if I plug the same cable into my Connect 4k and run a channel scan I'm only picking up 19 channels. It seems like a hardware issue to me but open to suggestions if anyone else has seen this behavior.
You have an amplified antenna signal that is overloading the HDHomeRun with too much signal.
I do not have an amplified antenna - just a clearstream 2max in the attic.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

maurer14 wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:16 am I do not have an amplified antenna - just a clearstream 2max in the attic.
Do you have any signal amplification going on? Some of your signals are coming in at 137% signal strength.

ebo
Device ID: 1016F746, 101C8CF9, 1041F134, 10532394

Post by ebo »

NedS wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:04 amDo you have any signal amplification going on? Some of your signals are coming in at 137% signal strength.
Since HDHRs can report percentages higher than 100% to SD, why do Config GUI and other local reports stop at 100%? Wouldn't it be more useful if they reported the higher percentages to the user?

Lost Dog

Post by Lost Dog »

ebo wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:38 am
NedS wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:04 amDo you have any signal amplification going on? Some of your signals are coming in at 137% signal strength.
Since HDHRs can report percentages higher than 100% to SD, why do Config GUI and other local reports stop at 100%? Wouldn't it be more useful if they reported the higher percentages to the user?
I'd be curious about that as well. My (PDX) ATSC 3.0 stations peg the scale at 100% and never fluctuate.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

ebo wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:38 am
I believe it would be a very valuable diagnostic tool that would help many customers, to report the true signal strength and not just top out at 100%. I will bug Nick about this again, because I would really like to see this be enabled.

maurer14

Post by maurer14 »

NedS wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:04 am
maurer14 wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:16 am I do not have an amplified antenna - just a clearstream 2max in the attic.
Do you have any signal amplification going on? Some of your signals are coming in at 137% signal strength.
I'm trying everything to get all the channels - so yes it's likely you had a look when I had it amplified. It's back plugged directly into the antenna now - same 19 channels. Are you still seeing signals over 100%?

Williams

Post by Williams »

Based on an unscientific comparison between my Extend and my Quattro 4k, I see signal quality and symbol quality readings for two weak channels on the Extend but not the Quattro 4k. The Quattro 4k registers a similar signal strength but it's in grey (not yellow or green) and the Quattro rarely sees quality readings on those same channels. These channels will usually scan into my lineup on the Extend but much less so on the Quattro 4k.

Streams on these channels are pretty much unwatchable (better at night/dawn) and I would not want to record anything on them. I do like seeing them in my lineup, though, and at least being able to occasionally tune in when conditions permit.

Not sure why the variance? I do know that my best-ever ATSC tuner was an eyeTV 250 tuner with a LG chip. It was always my benchmark for channel scans when I used eyeTV as my DVR before they sold the software and alienated their US users.

lvcc100

Post by lvcc100 »

I am having the same issue as well. I just got a few days ago my new Connect 4K device and still have my Extend device connected under the same network and I did a scan for the channels and on my area I am getting 40 channels on my Extend, while on my Connect 4K I am getting 32 channels. I was able to see at the same time both tuners signal strength and the signal and symbol quality readings for some weak channels on the Extend appears and in some of them were able to lock it but not the Connect 4k.
The Connect 4k registers a similar signal strength but it's in grey (not yellow, red or green) and the Connect rarely sees quality readings on those same channels. These channels will usually scan into my lineup on the Extend but much less so on the Connect 4k.

Finally as well streams on these channels are pretty much unwatchable. I have the feeling that maybe with a new future update the tuners on the Connect 4K would be able to lock those channels like the Extend do. I think there is something there that makes the Connect 4K not been able to get the same channel signal strength as the Extend do, hopefully a hardware fix would do the thing.

flipperlmnop

Post by flipperlmnop »

10 miles SW of Cleveland here. I have the new Connect 4k as well as older HD tuners. The Connect 4K finds 76 channels.

I have two HDHomerun Duals that find 41 each.

Two HDHomerun Connects that find 67 each.

Two HDHomerun Quattros that find 68 and 60 (the one that finds 60 is on another antenna with a splitter to reduce signal - just something I'm trying).

maurer14

Post by maurer14 »

flipperlmnop wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:50 am
10 miles SW of Cleveland here. I have the new Connect 4k as well as older HD tuners. The Connect 4K finds 76 channels.

I have two HDHomerun Duals that find 41 each.

Two HDHomerun Connects that find 67 each.

Two HDHomerun Quattros that find 68 and 60 (the one that finds 60 is on another antenna with a splitter to reduce signal - just something I'm trying).
76 wow! Is your antenna outdoors? Are you using any amplifiers? I can never seem to get close to that number with my attic antenna here in North Royalton.