Advice please on running 2 HDHR DVRs on same network

Post by IRJ »

I am running2 DVRs on my network.
1) HDHR DVR software on latest Nvidia Shield w attached 2TB Samsung SSD
2) Newly acquired HDHR Servio DVR 2TB

Other hardware:
A) HDHR Prime for Cable TV
'B) Quattro OTA 4 tuner receiver attached to OTA antenna
c) Newly acquired HDHR OTA receiver with 4K attached to separate OTS antenna.

I wish to separate the running of the 2 DVRs as follows.

a) Legacy DVR on Shield using Prime and Quattro (1080P)
b) New Servio DVR using new 4k receiver.

Hope I have explained that properly.

Right now I cannot see how to communicate separately with each DVR to set up as above and then run their activities and recordings separately.
In the setup at my.hdhomerun.com site I see all the equipment and have upgraded each piece to latest software and run channel scans etc.
Can this be done and if so how?
Thanks
Ian

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: Advice please on running 2 HDHR DVRs on same network

Post by signcarver »

SD expects everything to be on the same subnet and to communicate with each other. The unit that typically records is the one with the most space.

To do what you want, it would probably be easier the opposite way and only use the shield as a client and keep it off your main network as part of the problem is that the clients must be on different subnets than the undesired one and not both. Another issue is the DVR subscription itself as the Servio "can" extend your existing subscription but only when joined with the subscription as it's year of free service is tied to itself and I'm not sure if all the details of that have been ironed out without a support ticket when it comes time to renew.

If you don't mind possibly losing that year as SD has no way to determine if it's year was in your household you can build two networks and run it that way with the servio providing its own separate subscription (for a year) if you truly want to separate your dvr subscriptions. Keep in mind any official client that sees both will probably mess such up when it auto adds to your account).

IRJ

Post by IRJ »

Thanks for your detailed response.
One of my concerns is not knowing where my recorded shows will end up.
I am currently not entirely satisfied with the playback of OTA recordings from my Shield/Samsung SSD and want to compare with the Servio back to back. So I wanted to record a series of same shows and compare more easily the quality of playbacks.
Note this does not appear to be an antenna related issue as playing live shows is fine.

SageMyth

Post by SageMyth »

IRJ wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:17 am I am currently not entirely satisfied with the playback of OTA recordings from my Shield/Samsung SSD and want to compare with the Servio back to back. So I wanted to record a series of same shows and compare more easily the quality of playbacks.
Note this does not appear to be an antenna related issue as playing live shows is fine.
I have done this with two instances of the DVR.
One is running on a scribe and the other is running on NAS.

First set up two recordings for a future time.
Then unplug one of your DVR devices (maybe the shield) before the first show is to record.
The first show will record on the servio.
After the first show records plug in your shield and then unplug the servio.
The second show will record on the shield.
After the second show records plug in your servio again.
You can now watch either show and it will stream from the device on which it was recorded.