ATSC 3.0: Tampa

ATSC 3.0 Forum
evictionator

Re: ATSC 3.0: Tampa

Post by evictionator »

I just ordered the 4K tuner looking forward for to the experience.

zhillsguy

Post by zhillsguy »

I purchased a Connect Duo about a month ago and have always experienced moderate to severe blocky pixilation during some scene changes.
Setup: Outdoor antenna @ 20', inline amp, Ryzen 5, 16G, Geforce 1050TI, Win10 --> active HDMI to Android 70". Plays native 4K flawlessly @ 30Hz.

When I purchased the duo I didn't realize a 4K unit was available, so I purchased the 4K unit and connected it today.
So far all of the ATSC 3.0 channels (108.1, 110.1, 113.1, 128.1, 132.1) play flawlessly. All other channels exhibit the same blocky pixilation as the duo unit.

I have no clue what the source of the pixilation trouble is. I've tried various GPU drivers, settings, etc. However with the 1050TI I can say it seems to have more issues playing lower res content smoothly than HD using other software (JRiver, VLC). I've searched this issue without resolve.

Has anyone else experienced this issue with NVidia cards, or is the issue not card or driver related?

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

zhillsguy wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:13 pm I purchased a Connect Duo about a month ago and have always experienced moderate to severe blocky pixilation during some scene changes.
Setup: Outdoor antenna @ 20', inline amp, Ryzen 5, 16G, Geforce 1050TI, Win10 --> active HDMI to Android 70". Plays native 4K flawlessly @ 30Hz.

When I purchased the duo I didn't realize a 4K unit was available, so I purchased the 4K unit and connected it today.
So far all of the ATSC 3.0 channels (108.1, 110.1, 113.1, 128.1, 132.1) play flawlessly. All other channels exhibit the same blocky pixilation as the duo unit.

I have no clue what the source of the pixilation trouble is. I've tried various GPU drivers, settings, etc. However with the 1050TI I can say it seems to have more issues playing lower res content smoothly than HD using other software (JRiver, VLC). I've searched this issue without resolve.

Has anyone else experienced this issue with NVidia cards, or is the issue not card or driver related?
The signal amplifier might be overloading the signal, which can sometimes happen to some frequencies and not others. If you bypass the signal amp, do you see any improvement on those channels?

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

zhillsguy wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:13 pm I purchased a Connect Duo about a month ago and have always experienced moderate to severe blocky pixilation during some scene changes.

There is a known hardware issue with the NVIDIA video decoder that causes certain MPEG2 streams to not decode properly, primarily during high-motion scenes such as graphic wipes (e.g. sports when they go in and out of replays) and some other scene changes. This primarily (only?) affects 1080i channels. An easy way to confirm the issue is to use Kodi and play the channel hardware acceleration on and off. If it plays fine with hardware acceleration off but glitches with it on, then that is your issue. The only workarounds are using something that you can force software decoding on (like Kodi, or another app with an external decoder like LAV that lets you toggle hardware decoding) or not using an NVIDIA GPU. I seem to remember that at least 2 of the major network stations in Tampa were affected.

zhillsguy

Post by zhillsguy »

jasonl wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:39 pm There is a known hardware issue with the NVIDIA video decoder that causes certain MPEG2 streams to not decode properly, primarily during high-motion scenes such as graphic wipes (e.g. sports when they go in and out of replays) and some other scene changes. This primarily (only?) affects 1080i channels. An easy way to confirm the issue is to use Kodi and play the channel hardware acceleration on and off. If it plays fine with hardware acceleration off but glitches with it on, then that is your issue. The only workarounds are using something that you can force software decoding on (like Kodi, or another app with an external decoder like LAV that lets you toggle hardware decoding) or not using an NVIDIA GPU. I seem to remember that at least 2 of the major network stations in Tampa were affected.
Thank you! I had read something similar in another thread, and this confirms it for me. I'm tied to a low profile card, and may get an AMD at some point.

Too bad the All-Powerful Nvidia Control Panel doesn't have such a simple setting.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

It's too bad NVIDIA cut corners on the video decoder, because in everything other than this issue I've had better luck with NVIDIA than anything else.

xmguy
Device ID: 10815046, 1037F17E

Post by xmguy »

mort wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:57 pm Have you guys tried setting up in a vehicle and driving around? I have heard 3.0 unlike 1.0 will be able to keep a signal lock while in motion thus making free in motion TV a possibility again.
I'm in the Nashville, TN DMA. But I figured I'd check other areas of the site to see what folks had to say. Next time I travel to Nashville or near it, I'll see how it works for me mobile (I'll rig something up to route and power the tuner). If what I'm seeing now is any indication, it looks good. I can "see" the QAM16 signals no matter where my antenna is pointing. I'm 65-75 Miles from Nashville, EDGE 2, CM3020 20' high. Way I see it so far ATSC 3.0 will be the best thing to happen to TV, since TV was invented.

atsc30lmr

TPA 3.0 Connect Performance for 1.0

Post by atsc30lmr »

NOTE: I am posting this here as I am interested in specific comments on the NEW 3.0 Connect Tuner and its RF performance in the TPA DMA and on 1.0 stations., The 3.0 lighthouse has no value to me, as its content is useless (high editorialized opinion) since its just the main US networks, which I don't and have not watched in years. I am using OTA for the diginet, Movies!, MEtv, Antenna, the other stuff is garbage.

I originally planned to use my Quattro device to be part of my "2.0 TV" setup. Unfortunately there were and still are some issues with that. Namely RF performance for the Quattro v. a Sony TV, 2 ViewTV boxes, and Vizio. All which receive with out issue everything in the area, including WWSB (24) 45 miles away in a Class 3 Hurricane, and with a splitter and a 60+ of extra RG 6 on to get to one of the TV's. I can't get the Quattro to work that well with out a amp to start. I would link to the original post here, but it seems to be deleted (? about 2 years ago, shows I posted it, but its gone)

I am interested in adding in the 3.0 Connect as the progression to OTA or free streamed service has been completed for certain users. I want to have more tuners available, as well as 3.0 ability, for the future when hopefully MEtv goes to 720p like on the C band feed.

So I'd like comments on the RF Performance of the 3.0 Connect tuners on 1.0 stations v.Quattro in the TPA market. Especially before putting $200 into an additional unit ( I got my current unit on a BF Target deal.) Getting better performance? Same. Worse? Etc..

Lets hear about your experience with the 3.0 Units on the 1.0 stations in the TPA area.

Thanks!

JimH

Post by JimH »

jasonl wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:39 pm The only workarounds are using something that you can force software decoding on (like Kodi, or another app with an external decoder like LAV that lets you toggle hardware decoding) or not using an NVIDIA GPU. I seem to remember that at least 2 of the major network stations in Tampa were affected.
JRiver has a video setting for whether to use hardware encoding.