HDHR Extend + HDHR5. How do I tell the mac app to tune 4k?

ATSC 3.0 Forum
Clintos

HDHR Extend + HDHR5. How do I tell the mac app to tune 4k?

Post by Clintos »

I've got both an HDHR Extend and now the HDHR5 on my network, but I'm unclear how to tell the mac application to tune with the HDHR5 and to try the HVEC channels. I can't even seem to get the desktop app to use the new tuner at all.

I see the HVEC channels in the web UI.

darcilicious

Re: HDHR Extend + HDHR5. How do I tell the mac app to tune 4k?

Post by darcilicious »

Unfortunately, the way the HDHomeRun app is currently you have two choices:

1) Remove the EXTEND from your network
2) Use two other devices to "tie up" those two tuners and then the third device/app will start to use the new tuner

This is due to that fact that the HDHR app currently prioritizes lower Device IDs; they're working on updating this behavior.

(I have the same set up... so I get how annoying this is just now).

smokey7722
Device ID: 10731A79 1080570D

Post by smokey7722 »

As darcilicious explained there isn't really a way yet. I removed my new 4K off my network and stopped testing for now as theres not really a way for me to actually use/test it at the moment. I'm using my older 4US until I have a way to test the new one.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

There's two issues here. One is the automatic behavior seems to not be always working as intended (possibly due to the DVR sometimes being in the mix), where ATSC 3.0 should automatically try an ATSC 3.0 tuner, regardless of what you have on the network. The other issue is enabling additional fallback behavior/preferences for more complicated situations (ATSC 3.0 channel is requested by a client that can only handle ATSC 1.0, for example), which Nick plans on adding in a future update.